• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schwartz out of the NFL??

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still jobless despite running a staunch D in Buffalo last year, and it doesn't appear he's on anyone's radar as jobs keep filling up quickly.

Did getting carried off the field kill his cred with owners?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Quinn is waiting to hire him in ATL? But I'd think he'd instead bring an assistant from Seattle.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Schwartz has gone the way of Marrone, people are tired of his crap. Marrone went from head coach to oline coach. My guess is Schwartz will need to do something similar, and not make an ass of himself for an entire year before he gets another shot.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marrone and Schwartz would both be working in Buffalo if Ralph Wilson hadnt died.

I wouldn't put much into this. Doubt he's unemployed when camps open.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I slap him on the back, wish him good fucking luck and I race off the field.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what happens when you're an asshole to everyone and anyone. He worked for a cocky asshole head coach who thought he'd have his choice of jobs and take old Jimmer with him, but turns out nobody wanted them.

If he's too proud to take a job as a position coach, then he'll have to sit out this year and hope for a DC job next year...

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marrone didn't want to deal with the pathetic Buffalo Front Office. If you can't see some legitimacy in that, you haven't been following the team for the last 17 years.

I don't think Schwartz ever gets an HC position again. He was terrible at it and doesn't have the personality. If his ego can relax, there should still be DC openings he should get consideration for. Arizona is in need, but word is they may hire in-house.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marrone didn't want to deal with the pathetic Buffalo Front Office. If you can't see some legitimacy in that, you haven't been following the team for the last 17 years.

I don't think Schwartz ever gets an HC position again. He was terrible at it and doesn't have the personality. If his ego can relax, there should still be DC openings he should get consideration for. Arizona is in need, but word is they may hire in-house.

I gotta say that as an outsider with no vested interest in the Bills and/or Buffalo in general (other than maybe their hot wings) I'd give their current front office some pretty decent marks. I'd say a B/B+.

Their defense was a top-3 unit last season, and that doesn't happen by accident. They had some good coaching, hired by the front office. More importantly, they have some good players, drafted by the front office. Whaley has solid drafts and Buffalo has some serious talent on their roster.

Now, his one big strike has been at QB. He swung and missed on E.J. Manuel in the 1st round. It happens. Either lean more on the zone-read (a real possibility with Rex Ryan) and give Maunel one more go, or draft another one and try again. Buffalo is without a 1st rounder this year, and this draft is lean on QBs to boot, so I'd expect Manuel to get another shot unless he's just horrible. Which he wasn't necessarily when he was still playing. He was bad, but not beyond salvage, especially as little as they utilized his legs. Either way, you can't blame the guy for reaching for a QB, teams don't win the Super Bowl very often with game managers at the position. In my opinion it's probably the most excusable position to roll the dice on.

Whaley also inherited some solid talent, which helped his cause to be sure, but he's held up his end of the bargain so far. I don't see any reason a coach would have complaints about the team he has to work with. Maybe they just didn't get along, maybe they really disagreed on philosophy or scheme or draft picks, maybe Whaley banged Marrone's wife. I don't know. But from the outside looking in, I think the Buffalo brass has done fairly well so far. But I also don't care, and it's entirely possible that there's been a myriad of stupid decisions made in that department that I'm entirely unaware of...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree he wanted away from Buffalo, but bad front office or not, the way he handled his exit was very poor. I think other owners noticed it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised Schwartz hasn't landed back w Fisher in St.Louis. Wonder if there was a falling out of some kind we haven't heard about.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still jobless despite running a staunch D in Buffalo last year, and it doesn't appear he's on anyone's radar as jobs keep filling up quickly.

....I hear harbough wants him in Michigan....?!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can all carry him on our shoulders to the unemployment office.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz is a 4-3 guy and that takes him out of consideration for a number of jobs. I doubt he wants to become a position coach.

NFL Head Coaches and Owners don't give a shit about personalties if they think you can help them win. Schwartz has never bailed on a team mike Marrone. He may be a DB but he has a very good record as a D coordinator.

He will be back as a Head Coach or DC sooner than later.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexy Rexy and his foot fetish still has a HC gig......Schwartzy will be alright.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners take chances on coaches with track records of success, and Buffalo's D was good last year. Where, though, are the DC openings where the HC is strong enough to deal with a nutjob co-ordinator? The point that Schwartz is most effective coaching a 4-3 is a good one.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Schwartz will find a DC job without much of a problem -- It may not be this year coming up, as only so many jobs are open and only so many teams play a 4-3.

His one year with Buffalo -- they led the NFL in sacks (54), they led the NFL in fewest TDs allowed (16), they were fifth in the NFL for Int's (19), they were third in the NFL in pass defense, fourth in the NFL in PPG and they were third in the NFL in total defense (behind Detroit and Seattle).

He has great value as a DC. IF he is holding out for a HC job, he may be waiting a long time though.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's enough egotistical owners that someone will scoop him up. Haha the harbaugh comment was hilarious.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seen a picture of Schwartz handing food out of a drive through window the other day.