• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson turned down 21 mil a year

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said at the time you have to consider this a 5 year contract, not a 4 and under that view it's not the crazy money people say it is. The cap hits aren't anywhere near like even Romo's last year at any point.

That the Hawks still have the options is nice because it keeps Wilson working his ass off, but they do still get soaked in dead money if he gets a career ending injury.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with most of your post.

Yes he just signed a new contract a year or two ago but if the nfl want's you gone your gone and you see none of it.
A solid player would easily find a job if his team cut him. If he was overpaid by his current employer he will quickly find a new employer at a different wage scale.
and hope Bennit can get what he wants.
A team needs fiscal restraint when having to live under a cap. One thing I have learned is ALL players want more money.

k, where just going to have to disagree than because they are all ways one play away from a hit and their career could be over thus another team might not pay the same value his current/former contract was going to pay. If let go or because of age. Also lets say on the down side of his career or say a RB at 30 for example than he going to get cut and never see near the amount he was promised (contract). That different wage scale is my point, the team hired him at a certain wage scale than just dumps them once they see fit. They might not ever see the amount or get even close to that same amount. I just believed its a two way street, why should players have to agree to honor there part of a contract if the owners don't have to. Thus he should have ever right to ask for more money at anytime.

As for getting what he wants.. after rereading it, I meant it to say he gets what he wants in order to be happy and in camp. Clearly I want the team to remain competitive and under the cap each year, I just want him not to be a distraction while believing he has the right to try and gain more money from the team and I'm not going to attack or be angry at him. (I've seen other posters upset about it because he's under contract for three more years plus he just signed which I believe he has that right because of the above.)

Anyways I done, this about Wilson contract and I don't want to divert this thread anymore than I have, so if you still want to talk about this we can in the thread about Bennit or a different one. Thank you for your time.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said at the time you have to consider this a 5 year contract, not a 4 and under that view it's not the crazy money people say it is. The cap hits aren't anywhere near like even Romo's last year at any point.

That the Hawks still have the options is nice because it keeps Wilson working his ass off, but they do still get soaked in dead money if he gets a career ending injury.

you are correct. It's a 4 year contract and starts in 2016 but 31 million of it is spent in 2015. That makes his contract average out to 14.1 million in 2016,17,18 and 19, Buy pushing so much of it into this year they lower the cap cost and impact over the final 4 years. Even though his annual cap number would average out to 21.9? Mill or something like that if you did it over 4 years that isn't how they structured it. The Hawks won't even see a 17 million cap hit on his highest paying years i do believe.

just checked it out and i was wrong. It goes 18,18,21,23. Still those are numbers the Hawks can handle.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shockingly enough the Hawks still have close to 6 million in cap space. They take the top 51 contracts into account for the salary cap. They also have 11 million in dead cap right now that will drop next year.