• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson turned down 21 mil a year

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Clayton has written that if RW turns down the extension this year he'd have to make about 26.5 million a year to make up for the loss and playing for just 1.5 this year, and that would be VERY difficult to do.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Clayton has written that if RW turns down the extension this year he'd have to make about 26.5 million a year to make up for the loss and playing for just 1.5 this year, and that would be VERY difficult to do.
That's exactly what I've been saying, but it seems quite a few of my fellow hawks fans are not in agreement.

I don't care how you want to spin it, not taking a deal this year leaves something upward of 20m on the table that cannot be made back. And if the franchise tag is around 20m next year that too would be less than the reported contract is now. He's looking at ignoring over 20m between both of those seasons for the outside chance of making much more IF he doesn't get hurt and still plays well over that span? It's insane to even think about it. This is what makes negotiating contracts so different in the NFL vs the MLB where his agent makes his bread and butter.

This is why I think whatever the last deal the hawks put on the table gets signed and all of the rest of this was simply trying to create artificial leverage to get the best deal they could before signing.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear you were kidding about Lindy. Mettenberger would be someone they might be able to trade for, and maybe has a shoot at being good, but don't want to test that at all, with the Seahawks.

Gottcha buddy!!! We know where we stand on the RW issue and I still feel this contract gets done.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, if Russ passes on his deal we will look to possibly add Reggie Wayne AND Dwight Freeney. Russ wants to be a bitch, then we will stockpile. No complaint from me!

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, if Russ passes on his deal we will look to possibly add Reggie Wayne AND Dwight Freeney. Russ wants to be a bitch, then we will stockpile. No complaint from me!

"Be a bitch"?

I always love how cavalier some can be with other people's money.

And personally, I'd rather not stockpile with old washouts that nobody else wants.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard a report in my truck claiming that Cam Chancellor wants an extension or new deal or something to that effect and may/is willing to sit out training camp and possible pre-season games until he gets it.

What's the word in Seattle?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Be a bitch"?

And personally, I'd rather not stockpile with old washouts that nobody else wants.

Na, I'm more interested In getting Wags signed before Wayne/Freeney if RW chooses to play out his final year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard a report in my truck claiming that Cam Chancellor wants an extension or new deal or something to that effect and may/is willing to sit out training camp and possible pre-season games until he gets it.

What's the word in Seattle?

Spelling nazis are going to be all over your ass for misspelling Kam. :rolleyes2:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Na, I'm more interested In getting Wags signed before Wayne/Freeney if RW chooses to play out his final year.

Exactly. Too much needs to be taken care of in house to be bringing in old one year hopefuls.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this deal gets done tomorrow.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Be a bitch"?

Yep, he's being a bitch.

If what is being reported is true, an expectation of $25 million a year is crazy!

It's one thing to have the confidence of the best player in the game, it's another to be the best player in the game.

I love Russ, but his head may be getting bigger than his helmet can hold.

Nobody says he shouldn't get a fair deal or take a back seat to anyone, but he should have a real expectation of his worth overall.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, he's being a bitch.

If what is being reported is true, an expectation of $25 million a year is crazy!

It's one thing to have the confidence of the best player in the game, it's another to be the best player in the game.

I love Russ, but his head may be getting bigger than his helmet can hold.

Nobody says he shouldn't get a fair deal or take a back seat to anyone, but he should have a real expectation of his worth overall.

I'm just saying, people shouldn't endorse contracts they haven't read. Let's just say that the rumors are true and the Hawks are offering him 21 mil. Is that just his extension beyond the final year of his rookie contract, or will they burn his final year and start a new deal now? That's a difference between 16.8 mil and 21 mil per year, and if it's a pure extension he should be asking for 25 mil. And he has nothing to lose by waiting until the deadline tomorrow, who knows maybe he likes the deal on the table but just wants to see if the Hawks will sweeten the pot. Anyone that would have signed before this week should fire their financial advisor and agent.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on KJR this morning is both sides are talking. This deal will get done. They both drew lines in the sand in the beginning. They will find middle ground come the end of the day. Russ would be absolutely crazy to play for only $1.5 million this year.

:hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

My feeling is a deal doesn't get done this offseason.

I think Wilson is more than willing to play out the final year of his contract and my guess is he and his camp are thinking long term in that 21 million a year is a lot now but won't be as the cap rises and other QBs get their deals which is why he might be angling for that highest paid player now money.

Wilson isn't a fool and he knows that if the Seahawks won't pay him some desperate QB needy team will give him whatever he wants.

Also I think Wilson is gambling on having a better season this year stats wise to further increase his leverage.

On the Hawks side of things the only real reason to pay him now and really for any team to give extensions is you usually get a discount from the player by giving them money now. If Wilson is actually staunch on his demands there really isn't any reason for the Seahawks to pay him now. The Hawks have control over him for at least one more season with the franchise tag so it's in there best interest to pay other players for the time being before biting the bullet to pay Wilson.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Wilson is more than willing to play out the final year of his contract and my guess is he and his camp are thinking long term in that 21 million a year is a lot now but won't be as the cap rises and other QBs get their deals which is why he might be angling for that highest paid player now money.

Wilson isn't a fool and he knows that if the Seahawks won't pay him some desperate QB needy team will give him whatever he wants.

Also I think Wilson is gambling on having a better season this year stats wise to further increase his leverage.

On the Hawks side of things the only real reason to pay him now and really for any team to give extensions is you usually get a discount from the player by giving them money now. If Wilson is actually staunch on his demands there really isn't any reason for the Seahawks to pay him now. The Hawks have control over him for at least one more season with the franchise tag so it's in there best interest to pay other players for the time being before biting the bullet to pay Wilson.
Mmmmm maybe, we'll know very soon.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The first issue is that that desperate QB needy team will have to wait two more seasons before Wilson is available. The Seahawks own his ass for the remainder of his contract. He would only make 1.5 million this season then finally get a 20+ million when he gets franchised the next season. Yes, having a better season/stats will help Wilson in the long term but again, after he plays two more seasons in Seattle.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We know Wilson can put up stats, but I think the bigger gamble if he chooses to not sign is the injury risk. If he goes down for the season, bye bye to the contract he was looking for. I think a deal gets done.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The first issue is that that desperate QB needy team will have to wait two more seasons before Wilson is available. The Seahawks own his ass for the remainder of his contract. He would only make 1.5 million this season then finally get a 20+ million when he gets franchised the next season. Yes, having a better season/stats will help Wilson in the long term but again, after he plays two more seasons in Seattle.

There are desperate QB needy teams every year so in two years he'll easily have a couple of suitors.

I'm just basing my judgments on his actions so far and it seems like he has no issues playing out his deal this year and under the franchise tag the next.

I'm sure his camp is thinking that in two seasons the cap will have gone up and guys like Luck who'll get a mega deal will push QB prices up so he's risking the short term thinking it'll be worth it in the long term.

The odds of a devastating injury simply isn't all that high for QBs. Career ending injuries are extremely rare for QBs and major injuries in general aren't particularly common either. His biggest worry should be him getting an RGIII like injury that limits his mobility but even in RGIII's case he was already damaged goods. Being a betting man you would bet on him playing the entire season or at least most of it and I'm sure that's what he thinks as well. And he hedged his bets buy taking an insurance policy on himself for this season.

I think we'll know were RW stands if they get a deal done soon because if they are splitting hairs right now they should be able to work it out.