• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson turned down 21 mil a year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the media and fans are bent on this idea that it isn't likely something gets signed, but I still think a deal is likely to get done. It would just cost Wilson too much NOT to take a deal. That the media is fully bought into his working for 1.5m this year is proof his team is really really good and creating artificial leverage to get every last thing they can because to me it's smoke and mirrors.

Let's say the deal offered really is 21m/y for 5 years. Forget about the signing bonus and how much per year, just keep it simple and say he leaves 21m for this year on the table and takes that 1.5m. That's 19.5m he could have had that he now won't have right? So he's banking on a contract next year that would net him not only more than 21m, but make up for that lost money. He'd have to get at least 25m/yr to just break even on that deal wouldn't he? Ok, he'd come out a little ahead, but seriously.

If he leaves that money on the table he won't make up that ground even if he has a league MVP season and wins the SB.

To me this is just his camp doing what they can to push to the 11th hour and grab every last drop they can. I'd suspect the plan all along was to take a deal on Thur night before camp opens and they are still hoping the Hawks blink and add even something small to what's already there.

Listening to anything either side is leaking out and putting any kind of stock in it is foolish. This will play out in a few days and then there will be lots of time to comment on how stupid the organization was for giving this much of the cap space to any one player or how good/bad the deal is for Wilson.

Again, I'll be at least somewhat surprised if something isn't done and I'm expecting to not like it much as a fan.

Isn't he going to be playing for 1.5 even if he signs a extension?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he going to be playing for 1.5 even if he signs a extension?
No. He gets his upfront bonus money. That in essence adds to this years salary while it is divided up over the length of the contract.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, let me be clear about this. This new contract would go into effect this year. His last year of the rookie contract can be restructured under the CBA, but nothing forces either the team or player to do so.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. He gets his upfront bonus money. That in essence adds to this years salary while it is divided up over the length of the contract.
Well the bonus money is just a way to spread the money over a extra year. For example we have all heard A. Rogers makes about 22 million a year, but in 2016 his base salary is 11.5, it's the signing bonus plus other bonuses that make it 22 million. So when they say RW is getting 21 million a year the prorated part of the signing bonus is included in that 21 million. Now if he plays out his last year and still ends up signing for 21 million, he's lost nothing, just had to wait a year to get his money.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the bonus money is just a way to spread the money over a extra year. For example we have all heard A. Rogers makes about 22 million a year, but in 2016 his base salary is 11.5, it's the signing bonus plus other bonuses that make it 22 million. So when they say RW is getting 21 million a year the prorated part of the signing bonus is included in that 21 million. Now if he plays out his last year and still ends up signing for 21 million, he's lost nothing, just had to wait a year to get his money.
Again, I cleared that up in the next post of mine. He would be getting a new deal that starts this year, not adding on next year. The rookie structure allows for that renegotiation of the final year.

If he doesn't sign a deal he will be leaving at least 19m on the table he would have to add more than to any future contract to make holding out worth it. It's unrealistic to believe that can happen so I don't believe he will walk away from it. It wouldn't make any sense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I cleared that up in the next post of mine. He would be getting a new deal that starts this year, not adding on next year. The rookie structure allows for that renegotiation of the final year.

If he doesn't sign a deal he will be leaving at least 19m on the table he would have to add more than to any future contract to make holding out worth it. It's unrealistic to believe that can happen so I don't believe he will walk away from it. It wouldn't make any sense.
I was busy typing when you posted that.:lol: Might be tough to give him 21 million this year, right now they have less then 10 in caps space. Have to cut both Mebane and Okung, plus some more.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be better to let RW play out his rookie contract, then end up paying more per year to sign him next off season. Have more cap space next year, and keep the guys together for another year. I don't like the idea of redoing this last year on his contract.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather sign RW to extension for 4 years at $25 million and spread the money by giving him a 25 million signing bonus.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think it's a wise thing to go back to clip board Jesus type QBs?

There is a compelling argument to be made that the Seahawks defense before Wilson arrived was (on paper) very similar to the one that was in place when he got here. The Seahawks lost 5 games with Tarvaris Jackson as QB by less than one score. The Seahawks immediately flipped the script when Wilson took over.

Not to mention, the Seahawks pass protection is laughable at best, Wilson may have the best runningback and best defense in the NFL, but he has helped make the Seahawks offense functional despite having mediocre receivers and terrible pass protection.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was busy typing when you posted that.:lol: Might be tough to give him 21 million this year, right now they have less then 10 in caps space. Have to cut both Mebane and Okung, plus some more.
I was simplifying things by saying it was 21m each year including the initial year. As we all know his base salary the first year wouldn't be that high as he'd be getting some crazy signing bonus. It wouldn't even be the 10 that is sitting on the books right now, but the principle still holds true. Not signing this year is taking 1/5 of the value of the overall contract offered and throwing all but 1.5m of it away. That is a lot of money. He'd be dumb to pass it up.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a compelling argument to be made that the Seahawks defense before Wilson arrived was (on paper) very similar to the one that was in place when he got here. The Seahawks lost 5 games with Tarvaris Jackson as QB by less than one score. The Seahawks immediately flipped the script when Wilson took over.

Not to mention, the Seahawks pass protection is laughable at best, Wilson may have the best runningback and best defense in the NFL, but he has helped make the Seahawks offense functional despite having mediocre receivers and terrible pass protection.
Oh I agree for sure, just wanted to see what Cezero would say. He's made that comment several times, never with a alternative of course.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW has been great at turning all the prior close games into Seahawks wins. I think that in some respects it doesn't matter, if they don't get a deal done they can just put the exclusive franchise tag on him for a few years. I do think it's puzzling if it's true that he wants to be the highest paid, I think he's a really good quarterback, but not worth as much as AR, Tom Brady, or a few others, but he's the perfect qb for what Pete likes to do. I think that he needs the defense and Marshawn to be as successful as he is and the Seahawks absolutely need him with his improv skills to be successful, it seems like both sides should recognize that and compromise.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW has been great at turning all the prior close games into Seahawks wins. I think that in some respects it doesn't matter, if they don't get a deal done they can just put the exclusive franchise tag on him for a few years. I do think it's puzzling if it's true that he wants to be the highest paid, I think he's a really good quarterback, but not worth as much as AR, Tom Brady, or a few others, but he's the perfect qb for what Pete likes to do. I think that he needs the defense and Marshawn to be as successful as he is and the Seahawks absolutely need him with his improv skills to be successful, it seems like both sides should recognize that and compromise.

That's a fair assessment ... I think Russ will do much better with some better weapons at the receiver positions as well...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree for sure, just wanted to see what Cezero would say. He's made that comment several times, never with a alternative of course.

Hawks could make a run for Ryan Lindy.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just kidding on Lindy. Who do you think the Hawks could try?
Good to hear you were kidding about Lindy. Mettenberger would be someone they might be able to trade for, and maybe has a shoot at being good, but don't want to test that at all, with the Seahawks.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under Schneider Seattle has extended contracts 1 year early for it's core players ET, Sherm, Kam, KJ. The new 4 year contract starts once the rookie contract expires.
As far as the cap is concerned, the signing bonus is averaged out over the length of the contract.
So, Russell will still be making $1.5 in base salary, plus his prorated portion of his rookie signing bonus + whatever $ amount both parties agree to (ie:give him his entire signing bonus up front).
In summary, if RW's contract is worked in similar fashion to previous rookie contracts, he will get an extension of his rookie contract and a 4 year contract will take him through 2019 as a Seahawk.