• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential Cap Savings

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are all in agreement these three guys are potential roster cuts to save cap.

Boyd - I think he will stay, but we could release him and free up more money. 3rd player at his position, we could shift $10 million from a 3rd player in depth position to a 2nd or 1st position.

Mixon - He just needs to be released at this point. Have a little dead cap from his cut, but free up considerably more. He is a starter, but I think we can get as good of production from a new player at a considerably cheaper price. I think probably all RB's outside the top 10 are easily replaced, especially in an offense focused around its QB and top (2) WRs.

Collins - He wasn't great most the year and then got hurt and his playing time next year is in jeopardy. We need some tackles. We are not getting rid of Jonah after picking up his 5th year last year, so the logical choice here is Collins with his baggage.

We are losing Pratt and our safeties. I would really like to bring Bell back on a 2 or 3 year deal as a leader in that secondary, to pass the torch eventually.

However, there are so many upgrades out there in FA and if NO can afford Carr being as far over the cap as they were, then we should be able to do something even with Burrow and Higgin's pending contracts.

Mid level gems about to break out like Henderson or Reader did?

Maybe a guy like: LB Azeez Al-Shaair. I think he was under appreciated in SF due to the Warner and Greenlaw playing in front of him. I think he could have one of those break out few seasons beside Wilson and he may even be affordable? 4 years $45 - 50 million maybe?

Maybe OT Isaiah Wynn. He has played a lot of good football, but recently not played as well before going on the injured reserve...might be able to get him for a deal, to take the RT spot.

Resign Vonn Bell and Hayden Hurst on team friendly deals if they are willing, otherwise, I guess we can move on.

I have watched some combine coverage from Bengals news sources and some of the guys they are looking at are TE Michael Meyer, TE Darnell Washington, TE Sam LaPorta, TE Josh Whyle, OT Darnell Wright, OT Blake Freeland, RB Zach Charbonnet and RB Jahmyr Gibbs. Now granted, these guys are not all 1st rounders, but overall Bengals interest.

Not sure how the cap can be manipulated but if we can manage to get a couple decent players in FA ready to take off perhaps, maybe use the draft to fill in.

Who do you guys want to see us target that can be reasonable, or think we have a chance of signing along with how you would remake the roster?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are all in agreement these three guys are potential roster cuts to save cap.

Boyd - I think he will stay, but we could release him and free up more money. 3rd player at his position, we could shift $10 million from a 3rd player in depth position to a 2nd or 1st position.

Mixon - He just needs to be released at this point. Have a little dead cap from his cut, but free up considerably more. He is a starter, but I think we can get as good of production from a new player at a considerably cheaper price. I think probably all RB's outside the top 10 are easily replaced, especially in an offense focused around its QB and top (2) WRs.

Collins - He wasn't great most the year and then got hurt and his playing time next year is in jeopardy. We need some tackles. We are not getting rid of Jonah after picking up his 5th year last year, so the logical choice here is Collins with his baggage.

We are losing Pratt and our safeties. I would really like to bring Bell back on a 2 or 3 year deal as a leader in that secondary, to pass the torch eventually.

However, there are so many upgrades out there in FA and if NO can afford Carr being as far over the cap as they were, then we should be able to do something even with Burrow and Higgin's pending contracts.

Mid level gems about to break out like Henderson or Reader did?

Maybe a guy like: LB Azeez Al-Shaair. I think he was under appreciated in SF due to the Warner and Greenlaw playing in front of him. I think he could have one of those break out few seasons beside Wilson and he may even be affordable? 4 years $45 - 50 million maybe?

Maybe OT Isaiah Wynn. He has played a lot of good football, but recently not played as well before going on the injured reserve...might be able to get him for a deal, to take the RT spot.

Resign Vonn Bell and Hayden Hurst on team friendly deals if they are willing, otherwise, I guess we can move on.

I have watched some combine coverage from Bengals news sources and some of the guys they are looking at are TE Michael Meyer, TE Darnell Washington, TE Sam LaPorta, TE Josh Whyle, OT Darnell Wright, OT Blake Freeland, RB Zach Charbonnet and RB Jahmyr Gibbs. Now granted, these guys are not all 1st rounders, but overall Bengals interest.

Not sure how the cap can be manipulated but if we can manage to get a couple decent players in FA ready to take off perhaps, maybe use the draft to fill in.

Who do you guys want to see us target that can be reasonable, or think we have a chance of signing along with how you would remake the roster?
I've already been on record as to my approach to the OL.

I'm cutting Collins and taking a RT in round 1. Dewand Jones, Anton Harrison, or Darnell Wright. I think any one of them can compete this year for a starting slot. I think Jones is the most ready, Harrison likely has the most upside but may not be as ready, and Darnell Wright probably has most pure talent, but I can't get a gauge on how quickly he'd be ready, but I think he could be really good as well. I'd be OK with any one of them. Adeniji and the rookie compete for the job. Carman gets the nod at LT with Williams coming back from injury and providing depth and allowing a year of watching Carman at LT to see if they need to focus on this position in '24.

With that being said, that likely removes any of the top TE's, but LaPorta is typically still around in year 2, but I have some concerns with him. HE reminds me of Sample. Biggest knock is contested catch rate is abysmal over his career, and with how Joe can put the ball in tight spots...can he make those catches at this level? Not sure. I think you can get Whyle in round 3 or 4, and I think he's got as much upside as any TE in the draft. He's not Mayer or Washington, for sure, but I think he could be a younger version of Hayden Hurst...and that wouldn't suck. He can block, make tough catches, and has good speed.

I think you can look at RB in round 2/3 as well as a slot WR. Love Boyd, I'd take him back, but he'd have to restructure. But, regardless, the WR spot has to get more speed and talent depth. Just has to.

Need a rush end as well as a CB. CB being more of a need from a depth spot.

I just can't figure F/A yet until we know more about Burrow and Higgins.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyd will be the #1 receiver for some team as soon as his contract is up.

just my opinion.

Mixon, times up. someone will pay him, even though he's a bit older. I don't think he fits our offensive scheme.

Collins, I think he's gone. we need someone who can last a season.

We need to retain at least one of our key defensive free agents, if not two. otherwise we are just treadmilling talent in and out of the club.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just my opinion.

Mixon, times up. someone will pay him, even though he's a bit older. I don't think he fits our offensive scheme.

We need to retain at least one of our key defensive free agents, if not two. otherwise we are just treadmilling talent in and out of the club.
Only one defensive free agent I am worried about, Vonn Bell. I think Bates has been replaced by Hill. Pratt is really good, but I am interested to see if we can sign LB Azeez Al-Shaair for a contract that lets him prove he is a top level LB for his next contract. Say 3 years maybe $24 million.

Apple would be welcomed back by me, but once again, it would be at a price tag I doubt he would want to accept. I still don't think he is worth more than $4 million a year.

I would like to see us sign Hurst, and draft a TE in the 1st-3rd rounds. Washington would be ideal with his size, speed and ability to block.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just my opinion.

Won't agree on the first one. Love Boyd, but he'll be nearly 30 at that point...not many guys going on their 3rd contract, at age 30, suddenly become a teams #1.

I'd love to see them re-work his deal. Add 2 years on it, and let him play it out here.