• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ridiculous trade thread.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say wait until January next year - these guys all play pretty well in the regular season, so lets get that out of them. Then - trade Thornton and Marleau for someone like.. Ovechkin. Trade Pav and whatever else for some real leadership material. and go from there.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Marleau makes some horribly racist statements that get him banned from the NHL for life.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its safe to say that Marleau and Thornton are going nowhere since they passed up UFA to sign extensions with NMC. If they want to make a major move it is likely to be Pavelski since his NMC doesn't kick in until July 1st. Coming off a 40 goal season and being locked up long term he could probably fetch the LHD that is sorely needed. Its too bad that the Sharks don't ever get any big names through FA, though you do avoid some terrible contracts. It would be great to sign Stastny if he makes it FA, but if he doesn't sign with the Avs someone will likely give him a ridiculous deal.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think you can't trade both Thornton and Marleau its one or the other, as for the ntc's this have proven to be irrelevant so it can happen. Of the two who's the most complete player, and if your honest with yourself it's Marleau.

So that pretty much leaves it to Thornton to ship out. The best two trading partners are Ottawa and Toronto. Spezza or one of torontos young high end talents, should be easy.

Next on the list pavelski, he's just to small, to slow and is by far the streakiest scorer I've ever seen 5 games of averaging 2 points a game then 15 games of nothing. He's coming off a 40 goal season, locked into a reasonable contract his trade value is at it's peak. Nashville desperately needs scoring forward depth, they have Seth jones, webers on a contract the owners don't like. The time is now to make a run at weber offering up pavelski and a 1st rnder if need be.

If any takers can be found in havlat dump him if not compliance buy out. There are plenty of top tier UFA wingers out there this summer.

It's time to start building around couture instead of waiting

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think you can't trade both Thornton and Marleau its one or the other, as for the ntc's this have proven to be irrelevant so it can happen. Of the two who's the most complete player, and if your honest with yourself it's Marleau.

So that pretty much leaves it to Thornton to ship out. The best two trading partners are Ottawa and Toronto. Spezza or one of torontos young high end talents, should be easy.

Next on the list pavelski, he's just to small, to slow and is by far the streakiest scorer I've ever seen 5 games of averaging 2 points a game then 15 games of nothing. He's coming off a 40 goal season, locked into a reasonable contract his trade value is at it's peak. Nashville desperately needs scoring forward depth, they have Seth jones, webers on a contract the owners don't like. The time is now to make a run at weber offering up pavelski and a 1st rnder if need be.

If any takers can be found in havlat dump him if not compliance buy out. There are plenty of top tier UFA wingers out there this summer.

It's time to start building around couture instead of waiting

I gotta agree with pretty much everything here. Amazingly, Id rather keep patty too. Jumbo's game is declining far faster as patty still has the speed, but jumbo lacks the strength, not to mention I'd rather have a scorer than a passer anyday.

Agreed on pavs. Now is the time to move him. 40 goal scorers are extremely rare and extremely highly demanded. He did have 6 pts in 7 games in the PO's and has a ton of big time PO goals to his credit. A USA olympian to boot. Teams would be lined up around the block. However, he is basically 30 and with his skillset, he's likely to begin a decline quite soon. Buy low, sell high, and this is the time.

I hope nemo and stuart also get moved, even if the return is low. Stalock needs to be given the reins and the young D in the system, even if not great, need to be developed.

I would think the return on trading jumbo, pavelski, niemi, and stuart should be quite respectable. Personally, as much as I love Weber, I want them to get younger. Weber is the kind of guy you add when you are looking to make a cup run right away. The sharks should be looking 2-3 years out when hertl and nieto are more mature, the core on D and at forward are all around 27-29 years old. Whatever they get needs to be 25 or younger. I would love schultz out of edmonton, franson from toronto, or a few others guys around the league. If not, then just stockpile picks and prospects and face the inevitable renaissance of the franchise. I know dougie wants the refresh not rebuild, but I am tired of clicking refresh only to see the same screen keep popping up.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pretty sure Shultz was dealt to minniesoda and was promptly benched after about 5 games, his market value is in the shitter. I think Toronto is keen on keeping fronson. Weber is still a dominant defenseman all around the board on a team with minimal depth.

I think this is more of a reset then a rebuild, a core of burns,couture, Hertl,nieto,wingels,vlasic,demers, and Braun. You throw in a Weber and a UFA winger and they are still a contender

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if we can move Jumbo Sharks will be a different team PERIOD....good or bad, no one knows. Because with Jumbo, everything needs to go through him. I hate to say, but our PP sucks probably b/c of Jumbo. PM is fine, he can stay and retire here. I can fit in with anyone coming over. Moving Halvat would be a huge, we can use that money to sign a big Dman. Go after Weber. If Boyle wants to stay, I will take Boyle for 2M.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well the islanders just landed the rights to halak, so much for dumping Nemo on those guys

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Marleau were on Chicago or LA, he would light it up. He needs to be with a real leader though and needs to be pushed at times, and you can't deny that he has that speed still and goal scoring ability. He is not gritty at all and very soft, but if you had others who were, then he'd continue shine and do the one thing he does best.

Jumbo is a lost cause. He is never going to change. I remember a few years ago he'd stand on the outside and make pretty passes and pile up the assists. The Cheechoo days. And teams would not pressure him. Seems like he has been pressured a lot more in last few years and he is one to make a turnover now just as much as the pretty pass. 6+ mil for a guy who just passes. Wish he could be more like Getzlaf. Sure wish we could rewind back to 2003 draft when the Sharks took Michalek and Bernier before Getzlaf and Perry. That was a fuck up!! Now put Patty with those guys and you really would have had something. Who was the GM in 2003?

Stuart? Boyle? Let them go. Over 35 yo defense men are risky. See Pittsburgh with Rob Scuderi and the mistake that was made there. Hannan will be gone too, so no more dicking around with Irwin and let him play. So next year: Vlasic, Brawn, Demers, Irwin and whoever you can get via trade or FA to pair with them.

Pavs, hard to part with a 40 goal scorer, but he is streaky. But his PK/Faceoff work. He is versatile. Even Burns I'd throw out there. He had that month long drought in Jan/Feb. A bit of an enigma to me. Can't have a top forward going 20 games without a goal.

I would say the biggest assets to move are Thornton, then Niemi, then Burns/Pavs (one of these two) equally. See what you can get for that. Get some Krejcis, Marchands, Lucics, and Bergerons instead of Thornton.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Marleau were on Chicago or LA, he would light it up. He needs to be with a real leader though and needs to be pushed at times, and you can't deny that he has that speed still and goal scoring ability. He is not gritty at all and very soft, but if you had others who were, then he'd continue shine and do the one thing he does best.

About three years ago on our annual "why does our team fail in the playoffs" thread, I finally just came to terms that Joe and Patty are just what they are - you are not going to get more fire from them, you are not going to see them channel Owen Nolan, you are not going to see more grit, etc... Its just not them. Patty, and Joe for that matter, need what Selanne has/had in Anaheim. The real leaders have a different number on their shirt and he is relied on for the 2-3 things he does better than anyone else.

Rather than placing the blame on these guys I started to really blame the coaching and ownership. It falls on these stubborn assholes to recognize this and draft/trade for the appropriate talent to build a team. They have not done it, as said elsewhere on our forum - management lives and dies by these two and they are insane (by the very definition of expecting something different to happen).

No other excuses can be made for these guys folding this year. The 3rd and 4th lines were the best we have had since the Ricci/Thornton/Sunny days. Our problems were the top lines - which means these top two dildos. OUR problem is the belief that management is going to do something different.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm pretty sure Shultz was dealt to minniesoda and was promptly benched after about 5 games, his market value is in the shitter. I think Toronto is keen on keeping fronson. Weber is still a dominant defenseman all around the board on a team with minimal depth.

I think this is more of a reset then a rebuild, a core of burns,couture, Hertl,nieto,wingels,vlasic,demers, and Braun. You throw in a Weber and a UFA winger and they are still a contender

I was meaning Justin Schultz, the younger one. He's an RFA and cant be too thrilled in edmonton. he'd fit in great in SJ as a puck moving smooth skating Dman. He's actually a lot like boyler, but just much younger and little bigger. He'd be an ideal replacement. The only problem I suppose is that edmonton is likely looking to add D depth not trade it away. That said, if Justin wants to leave, they will likely have to move him.

Weber is absolutely a stud, but at 29, he's in his prime now. By the team the sharks recover from dealing their top point producers in the regular season, and allowing nieto, hertl, mueller and the youth to develop well, he'll be 31 or 32 and reaching the other side of the hill. I would love to target quality 23-26 year olds who can stay for a generation and help for a real nucleus.

if they deal jumbo and pavelski, they will need to add one stud young dman and one stud young forward and picks/prospects.

here are my targets, all from underachievers: Carlson (WSH), Franson (TOR), J. Shultz (EDM), Myers (BUF), Edler (VAN: though he is 28 already), Weber (NSH: will be 29 already).

there are a ton of young forwards and I actually would rather build from the D out and go shopping for forwards.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1. pavelski+ 1st rounder for weber (as suggsted earlier) followed by...

2. Jumbo to Edmonton for Justin Schultz + one of Perron/Gagner... Or if they can land yakupov, I'd love it. High end top talent that just needs a good market and a nice home to cultivate. I heard he was being shopped, and for edmonton to trade him and shultz and land Jumbo makes obvious sense for them given their need for veteran leadership and, in all honesty, some real regular season success.

If they landed these two deals, then the D would be:

Weber, Schultz, Vlasic, Braun, Demers, and Irwin with a either mueller/acolatse/abeltshauser/doherty getting a look for the #7 dman. That's a big upgrade functionally turning boyle and stuart to weber and Schultz. that's a dangerous top 6 D.

The forwards would be thinner of course, but they'd be faster and younger.

marleau, Couture, yakupov, hertl, burns, nieto, wingels, Sheppard (how far has he come!) and a UFA (Stastny? Callahan?) (since the pavs trade adds 1.5M but the jumbo trade drops about 3-4M and boyle retiring drops 6.7M).

if the sharks landed yakupov to add to hertl and nieto, and schultz to join vlasic and co. they would be so fast and so young with such a great core all 27 or younger. their salary structure would be much smarter as well. LA has one Dman above 4.2M in salary and that's one of the top Dmen in the world. They have only one forward above 5.8M and that Kopitar, the top center sutter has ever had. The rest of the team is signed to very reasonable, very solid deals, and they are young and deep. Boston too outside of chara, the top Dman in the league, and rask, arguably the top goalie has no one above 6M.

The sharks will have 4 forwards at 6M or above, 3 of which will be 30+. With the advancement of hertl and nieto, the sharks have the luxury of being competitive in the midst of a rebuild. they can afford to trade some aged vets to get younger and faster and still compete. the problem with having very few good young players is that eventually it catches up with you as the older guys fade, so by taking advantage of a few good young players wisely, the team can refresh and remain fun.

Frankly, I dont care if they suck for a year or two. I know dougie wont go for it and as this is a business, I worry the fans wont want it either.

But the worst thing dougie can do is turn into the vancouver canucks. Minimal farm, most key players well into their 30's (sedins 34 by next playoffs, bieksa 33 , kesler 30, burrows 33, higgins 31, booth 30, hamhuis 32, Garrison 30, etc). They have virtually no impact players under 29 or 30 years old. they had a big draft last year in their attempt to rebuild, but their team is so old and gutted that it may take them some time to recover and now they have the coaching merry-go-round and it's a disaster for them.

The sharks will quickly emerge as the nucks if dougie holds on to jumbo, patty, and pavs for the next 2-3 years. They will not succeed in the playoffs, and will find themselves a lower and lower seed losing to younger, faster, more competitive clubs. This is the summer to see the writing on the wall and to get proactive.

I gotta imagine that despite the playoff disappointment, there have gotta be a dozen teams who would pay big for a player like Joe Thornton and what he brings in the regular season. Same for pavelski. I mean, 40 goals!?? That's huge. This is the moment before things go further south and these guys get older and older.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough :gaah:

D.Wilson will keep the same forward group minus Havlat and look for a solid two way center for third line.

D.Wilson always knew like we knew our blue line was lacking a top pair. If we somehow get a top dman or lucky to get a pair we are a possible contender.

I heard a rumor L. Robinson is planning on retiring, is that true?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Enough :gaah:

D.Wilson will keep the same forward group minus Havlat and look for a solid two way center for third line.

D.Wilson always knew like we knew our blue line was lacking a top pair. If we somehow get a top dman or lucky to get a pair we are a possible contender.

I heard a rumor L. Robinson is planning on retiring, is that true?

cant say that i blame him after they way the season ended

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's time for a change at GM.
There have been some glaring deficiencies in the team that have gone unacknowledged for years, not the least of which have been between the pipes and at the center position.

It's probably not reasonable to expect this, but I'd like to see the team clean house and rebuild.
I'd be alright with missing the postseason next year if it meant deeper playoff runs in subsequent years.

As it stands, this team has been content with just making the playoffs for as long as I've been watching.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe it's time for a change at GM.
There have been some glaring deficiencies in the team that have gone unacknowledged for years, not the least of which have been between the pipes and at the center position.

It's probably not reasonable to expect this, but I'd like to see the team clean house and rebuild.
I'd be alright with missing the postseason next year if it meant deeper playoff runs in subsequent years.

As it stands, this team has been content with just making the playoffs for as long as I've been watching.

Name a better GM available, there just isnt

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say wait until January next year - these guys all play pretty well in the regular season, so lets get that out of them. Then - trade Thornton and Marleau for someone like.. Ovechkin. Trade Pav and whatever else for some real leadership material. and go from there.

Kings fan here. I'm not trolling, I just have a question. Why would you guys want Ovechkin? He has done nothing in the playoffs.
He's a puck hog, that was plus/minus -35 for the year. Ovie completely ignores defense, or even bothering to play in his own zone.
Trading Jumbo, Patty or both for Ovechkin gets you the same net results.