• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omniscience League I - Main Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lost week 2 and 6 with 140 or more. If I won those weeks I could have planned out my playoff lineups better. That’s my point

Look at it this way, you had the most add/drops in this league. And since you were always on the offensive you were able to pick and choose which weeks you wanted to compete. Not everyone had that luxury.

Early bad losses made it more important to fight for every win.

That’s my point about schedule. Nothing more nothing less.

In any league you are going to have tough losses. But this league tough losses are worse because you invested more into them.

I was able to do that because it was my strategy to do that.

That isn’t luck, that is planning.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are overpaying the luck thing here.

My 4 losses I strategically chose not to compete and load up for future weeks. I could have made weeks 4 and 8 close for example, and maybe even won them. And I definitely gave you week 14. I had 151 points before I started dropping players.

But the risk of a close loss with my weekly strategy wasn’t worth it. So I invested in the future. And since I only had 3 players who I drafted and intended to hold, the only weeks I was really committed to were weeks 1,2 and 3.

While you are right about waivers being easier to navigate with fewer active players, that also means less players available because more guys stuck on benches. So some give and take there.
I remember you made a move or two for week 4, and I countered, and then you dropped those guys and moved along to other weeks, and once your drops got picked up by others I knew I could safely drop the player I’d added.

I especially wanted that win to make it tricky for you to get a bye, in the hopes of getting you eliminated before you could deploy Tee Higgins.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember you made a move or two for week 4, and I countered, and then you dropped those guys and moved along to other weeks, and once your drops got picked up by others I knew I could safely drop the player I’d added.

I especially wanted that win to make it tricky for you to get a bye, in the hopes of getting you eliminated before you could deploy Tee Higgins.
Rule change! Rule change!
I demand a Rule change!
If you pick up player off tWire, you cannot drop him (or her) until that weeks game is over!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it was actually very close too.

There were players available I could have added to either put me within a couple points or even take the lead.

But, I could also tell week 4 was important to you and that you weren’t going to let it go. And if I went all in, it would hurt my chances to win in weeks 6 and 7.

So I chose to let week 4 go and make sure I got weeks 6 and 7.

Week 8 was pretty similar. Not a lot of good streamers that week and Bandit had added a couple of the top dogs already. I couldn’t catch him, so I didn’t try to.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it was actually very close too.

There were players available I could have added to either put me within a couple points or even take the lead.

But, I could also tell week 4 was important to you and that you weren’t going to let it go. And if I went all in, it would hurt my chances to win in weeks 6 and 7.

So I chose to let week 4 go and make sure I got weeks 6 and 7.

Week 8 was pretty similar. Not a lot of good streamers that week and Bandit had added a couple of the top dogs already. I couldn’t catch him, so I didn’t try to.
Holy shit. How do you remember all that shit. I just got lucky.....mostly....well, OK, I had my calculator out weekly.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny you say that…

Because my original plan was to try to get the bye.

But, after week 10 when Molsan and I were both 8-2, you were 7-3 and Molsan had me on points, I was ready to concede the top spot and load up on weeks 15 and 16.

Then you grabbed Wilson and Davis to pair with Huntley. I realized that there was no way I was beating you on week 15 and I was also highly likely to match up with you there.

So the only option was to recommit to playing for that bye.
Circling back here...... I claimed Davis and Wilson on February 28 after week 9. At that point I felt fairly confident in my playoff hopes at 6-3 and a non-threatening schedule left. I finally had 3 pieces I could drop and not needing the short term help, I looked at weeks 15 and 16.

What is so very mindblowing about this is the third player I was trying to add was Justin Jackson. I had him third in my queue because Davis would also be useful down the stretch of the regular season and Wilson had multiple double digit scoring games for the playoffs. I was surprised Jackson was on nobody’s roster at that time though.

I never looked at anyone else’s playoff pieces. I also did not pay that much attention to moves made by others but I was mindful in seeing you had recently dropped Wilson. You made 2 successful claims on Feb 28, one of which was Jackson, and it appears that will be the difference giving you the edge.

It truly feels like you nipped me by the slimmest of margins; maybe if one little thing had been different, i.e. if you had not dropped Wilson at that time. I’m wondering how it looks from your perspective. This outcome is not too disappointing for me as I had NOTHING to work with for week 17, not from my draft or my acquisitions, so I don’t think first place was likely for me.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit. How do you remember all that shit. I just got lucky.....mostly....well, OK, I had my calculator out weekly.

Made a spreadsheet before the draft with every relevant player. Top 25 WR and RB every week, top 10 QB, TE, K and DST.

Had my matchups for every week plugged in, so I could always assess where I stood leading up to a matchup. And it is easy to look back because I have the past scores on the spreadsheet.

I wouldn’t say you got lucky. You did a good job combining draft and hold with waiver moves and scored a ton of points. You also had a ton of points against.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Circling back here...... I claimed Davis and Wilson on February 28 after week 9. At that point I felt fairly confident in my playoff hopes at 6-3 and a non-threatening schedule left. I finally had 3 pieces I could drop and not needing the short term help, I looked at weeks 15 and 16.

What is so very mindblowing about this is the third player I was trying to add was Justin Jackson. I had him third in my queue because Davis would also be useful down the stretch of the regular season and Wilson had multiple double digit scoring games for the playoffs. I was surprised Jackson was on nobody’s roster at that time though.

I never looked at anyone else’s playoff pieces. I also did not pay that much attention to moves made by others but I was mindful in seeing you had recently dropped Wilson. You made 2 successful claims on Feb 28, one of which was Jackson, and it appears that will be the difference giving you the edge.

It truly feels like you nipped me by the slimmest of margins; maybe if one little thing had been different, i.e. if you had not dropped Wilson at that time. I’m wondering how it looks from your perspective. This outcome is not too disappointing for me as I had NOTHING to work with for week 17, not from my draft or my acquisitions, so I don’t think first place was likely for me.

It is really crazy that is the difference.

I had Jackson and Gabriel Davis as my top 2 choices that week. I put Jackson first and it wasn’t until I realized that you had Davis, Wilson and Huntley that I realized week 15 was a no-go against you.

The only reason I dropped Wilson was because SP made a couple moves to add points and pull ahead of me. I was expecting to win my week 10 match with him with under 75 points until he pulled ahead. I had to drop someone to get back on top, and Wilson was who I picked.

The combination of you getting Davis and Wilson, and me getting Jackson is what led me to push for the bye. I was prepared to give it up and go into the playoffs in a similar fashion to what you did because I had a pretty weak base in weeks 11-14.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wilwhite,

I do think fewer playoff teams would be a good idea.

Maybe similar to what MBBRL does…

4 in for a 12 team league, but, the #1 seed gets to pick who they face in round 1 instead of blindly drawing the wildcard team.

Makes the regular season more meaningful in a couple ways.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pfft. You were the unluckiest of all of us with that schedule. You're just a bad-ass. Fess up.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of weird seeing @Sam Sportboy in a playoff without a corresponding WSIS thread with a humorous title.
Congrats guys.

@Sam Sportboy

You really should do a sit/start thread.

That would be kind of funny.

Do I start the guy who scores 20 points? Or the one who scores 5?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semifinals ran tonight, right?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 16 Semi-Finals
Gannon 165.20 at Tlance 173.16
wilwhite 146.00 at Sam 165.70

And on to the finals!

The top-two seeds, Sam at Tlance... I wonder what will happen!

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really crazy that is the difference.

I had Jackson and Gabriel Davis as my top 2 choices that week. I put Jackson first and it wasn’t until I realized that you had Davis, Wilson and Huntley that I realized week 15 was a no-go against you.

The only reason I dropped Wilson was because SP made a couple moves to add points and pull ahead of me. I was expecting to win my week 10 match with him with under 75 points until he pulled ahead. I had to drop someone to get back on top, and Wilson was who I picked.

The combination of you getting Davis and Wilson, and me getting Jackson is what led me to push for the bye. I was prepared to give it up and go into the playoffs in a similar fashion to what you did because I had a pretty weak base in weeks 11-14.
I didn’t really address week 15 in my draft either, other than Huntley and 19 from Dallas, so that revelation still surprises me [I guess seeing someone be more proactive than perhaps most counts as a rational reason to fear them]. Which goes to show I was erring on the side of just trying to earn a playoff berth from the getgo to an extent. And I had a feeling Mordor would be a bloodbath. Erring on the less cautious side I probably would have deemed Jackson as worth keeping no later than week 7--not a guarantee of anything of course, there’s a greater array of possibilites with in this than I would have thought.

Congrats on the win! In 15 years off and on of FF, this has been one for the ages, put er there.