• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phrases like titty baby and dick just do not make your cause seem like it has any strength other than dislike. It is fine if you don't like him. I still don't know anyone but you who keeps throwing this $70+ around. :noidea:

yeah it is fine if you dont like him but dont tell me that in every discussion about this (not directed at you sportster just piggy backing your thoughts ) topic you all consistently go right to any negative , trash the guy on false facts (65/95 mil offer ) cheap shot his faith , never forgive the giants game , move the goal posts on what you "need to see" and tell me it isnt personal . now these are bits and pieces of what the ABCers say , or embrace even if they didnt come out and say each and every thing

it was money about 12 mil then 16 mil then 20 mil and now 24 mil

the best replacements i have heard any of you say (and mind you i had to do the research because you guys wouldnt or couldnt ) come out with colt i have never played a full season cut by browns and 49ers ) mccoy , nate 53% passer vs walmart baggers sudfeld , trade for and/ or throw money at stafford which you bitch about paying out anyway , AJ cant beat out dalton but i will be a superstar mccarron or draft the 1 in 5 chance of succeeding qb " but i dont know a name because i havent researched it qb "

but titty baby and dick sure convince me of your position

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j_y, I explained my position previously, in this thread or another.

If you claim, as KC does, that "it isn't about the money, it's about Jesus showing him the way," but then turn down a $16million contract because you wanted a $20million contract, then it is clearly NOT about Jesus - it's about the money.

Yes, the front office totally bungled the whole KC situation. But just because KC CAN rake the redskins over the coals for an absolutely insane offer for a qb who is streaky, lost his two 1,000 yd wr's, and is in a system designed for him, doesn't mean that he should.

To me, playing the franchise tags to your advantage to get the maximum amount of money KC possibly could, all the while publicly announcing that it's Jesus at the wheel (not Ben Franklin), as opposed to "finding a happy medium," say for your new baby and wife, in the city where you've lived for 5 years or so, in a town with some of the best fans in the NFL who will worship you if you play well, screams "I'M BEING A DICK."

The whole "but the front office hasn't offered a good contract..... but if RG3 posted those numbers..... but I (he) didn't CHOOSE to be tagged..." sound like crappy excuses from an immature hypocrite.

well chiller 16 mil and 20 mil are low ball offers in todays landscape . i dont believe being a follower of christ means you have to be ripped off does it ? the skins FO laid the tags on and he played on them . by those acts the skins set the market and now you want 2-3 year ago prices on a PB qb who has had 2 back to back top 6 QBR ratings and has led this team to 2 back to back winning seasons with a crap defense osweiler and glennon get 16 mil and 17 mil respectively with no where near KC;s resume. no one is raking anyone over the coals for anything , the FO screwed themselves

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is more kirk haters then kirk lovers shark and skindad are out number tandler says its about 50/50 in here its about 80/20

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With one week to go before the annual window on negotiating a long-term deal with Washington closes, quarterback Kirk Cousins has spoken again regarding his situation. In short, he says it’s not about the money. Which, of course, means that it’s about the money.

“I never want to play football thinking about money,” Cousins told WAVY.com at his annual football camp, via the Washington Post. “I think that you get in trouble doing that. I put my confidence in the Lord, in my faith. If I’m gonna build my life [based] on money shame on me. That’s not where I draw my security from, never should be. My parents didn’t raise me that way.”

Kirk’s parents apparently raised him to rely on doctors to handle medical issues, lawyers to handle legal issues, and agents to handle business issues. Which is a pretty good way to be raised.

“I hired my agent to do his job,” Cousins said. “I gotta go play football and throw touchdown passes and help our team win. I’ve got plenty to work on there so I’ll let my agent do his job. I’ll do mine and the good news is I’m under contract for this season and in a good place.”

These words conflict with Cousins’ past comments on the issue. In January, he defended seeking top dollar from Washington by arguing that “it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract” of their own.

f you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well,” Cousins said.

That sounds like an agent-driven explanation, and Cousins has now made it clear that this is an agent-driven process. Which is smart by Cousins, but which also confirms that a long-deal isn’t likely by next Monday at 4:00 p.m. ET, the deadline for doing a multi-year contract.

The agent, Mike McCartney, knows how to calculate a long-term deal based on the leverage of a $23.94 million franchise tender in 2017 and the promise of a 20-percent raise (under the transition tag) or a 44-percent raise (under the franchise tag) for 2018. At a minimum, it means that Cousins should get more than $52 million fully guaranteed at signing, to cover the first two years of the deal.

There’s no reason for McCartney to give Washington a discount on that amount, and by Cousins saying “I hired my agent to do his job,” this means Cousins won’t pull a Tom Brady and order the agent to take less than top dollar.

So why is Cousins mincing words and tiptoeing around the truth? Because Cousins knows that fans will blame him for being greedy and not the team for being cheap if/when a deal isn’t done.

These comments strongly suggest a deal won’t be done, unless Washington finally decides to forget about not one but two past opportunities to get him signed for a lot less than it would cost now, and to get something finalized before it costs even more in 2018.

here is what Mitz neglected to put in quotes

dad, I wasn't neglecting what KC's agent does for his client. Of course agents are supposed to secure endorsement deals, but in a lot of cases companies actually seek out specific players to represent them. Especially players who are thought of being the top athletes in that particular sport...that was the whole premise of my post.

no worries, we all bleed burgundy and gold my brother.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
synder will sign kirk its snyder call synder is the kirk lover only hope so keep bashing synder

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
synder will sign kirk its snyder call synder is the kirk lover only hope so keep bashing synder

The funny part is, the haters dont even know WHAT they want or how exactly we are supposed to get it...

They just know they dont want Kirk. Which is what really makes them haters.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obi won snyder you are our only hope for kirk .... snyder will get it done have faith shark skinsdad and others

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the "strong indication" is Kirk Cousins will play out this season under the franchise tag.

RapSheet adds, "Both sides are OK with it." They have until Monday to work out a long-term deal, but no one seems to think it will happen. Both Adam Schefter and John Keim of ESPN have called it a "long shot" while NFL Network's Charley Casserly said he does not "see any way" a deal gets done. Considering it would cost Washington $34.5 million to tag Cousins next year, failing to reach a deal now will almost guarantee the quarterback hits free agency next spring.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jul 13 - 8:34 AM

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like wait and see could happen.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the "strong indication" is Kirk Cousins will play out this season under the franchise tag.

RapSheet adds, "Both sides are OK with it." They have until Monday to work out a long-term deal, but no one seems to think it will happen. Both Adam Schefter and John Keim of ESPN have called it a "long shot" while NFL Network's Charley Casserly said he does not "see any way" a deal gets done. Considering it would cost Washington $34.5 million to tag Cousins next year, failing to reach a deal now will almost guarantee the quarterback hits free agency next spring.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jul 13 - 8:34 AM

You mean the same Ian Rapoport who earlier in the year reported that the Redskins were going to trade to get Tony Romo? LOL. Jeez - you hang on every stupid rumor that appears on the web. Let's just wait until Mon to see what happens.