• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is going to get $26-28M a year and probably $70M+ fully guaranteed. Which again would drive the QB market up. And I fully buy into the idea that Dan would rather cut off his nose to spite his face, rather than give Kirk that kind of deal and have to hear how Mike Shanahan was smarter than he is. Also think the only reason they used the Exclusive tag was to prevent Kirk from signing an offer sheet with the Niners. And if they tag him next year, it will be in the hopes that some one other than the Niners wants him. I could see Dan taking a 2nd next year and a 1st in 2019 to send Kirk to the Browns.

I can see that. If we are going to lose KC next year we should hopefully be able to get some draft picks.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My logic is that KC wants to become a FA. I don't see a LTD being done by 7/17. We have no proof of offers or counter offers.

Great as long as the goal of the Redskins is to tie up as much money as possible over the next several years. This constant tagging mode is just ridiculous & will ensure that they spend the maximum (unless Cousins is asking for an insane amount of $$ which I guess is possible).

It almost sounds like you are secretly hoping for Cousins to fail.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that. If we are going to lose KC next year we should hopefully be able to get some draft picks.

My take is, by next tuesday they will already have a framework in place to deal him to some place other than San Fran.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great as long as the goal of the Redskins is to tie up as much money as possible over the next several years. This constant tagging mode is just ridiculous & will ensure that they spend the maximum (unless Cousins is asking for an insane amount of $$ which I guess is possible).

Not at all. Its just insurance if he does fail.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is, by next tuesday they will already have a framework in place to deal him to some place other than San Fran.

I thought they cant deal him after the 7/17?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Secretly?? Fuck that I think alot of folks are ACTIVELY hoping he fails. And he front office cant seriously hope he succeeds on the tag again. Because it means he either costs more to keep, or costs so much we cant keep him and the cost to replace him (in draft picks) goes up if he succeeds.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is going to get $26-28M a year and probably $70M+ fully guaranteed. Which again would drive the QB market up. And I fully buy into the idea that Dan would rather cut off his nose to spite his face, rather than give Kirk that kind of deal and have to hear how Mike Shanahan was smarter than he is. Also think the only reason they used the Exclusive tag was to prevent Kirk from signing an offer sheet with the Niners. And if they tag him next year, it will be in the hopes that some one other than the Niners wants him. I could see Dan taking a 2nd next year and a 1st in 2019 to send Kirk to the Browns.

$70M guaranteed should be fine especially since that would include the tag money already given to Cousins. That would basically amount to another $46M in guaranteed money - certainly cheaper than what they will have to give him next offseason. Obviously the risk is injury or poor play, but I think that the risk is worth it especially considering the Skins poor past history in selecting QBs. Now if Cousins wants significantly more that is an issue.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they cant deal him after the 7/17?

They could, but no one is going to take him on the tag.

That does not stop them from having a deal in place for the 2018 season. They tag Kirk, he signs, and they proceed to ship him off to Siberia or its NFL equivalent. .

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$70M guaranteed should be fine especially since that would include the tag money already given to Cousins. That would basically amount to another $46M in guaranteed money - certainly cheaper than what they will have to give him next offseason. Obviously the risk is injury or poor play, but I think that the risk is worth it especially considering the Skins poor past history in selecting QBs. Now if Cousins wants significantly more that is an issue.

Problem is, If Kirk is looking at a $35M tag, he is going to want and be worth more than that $70M Stafford will likely get within the next month.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, If Kirk is looking at a $35M tag, he is going to want and be worth more than that $70M Stafford will likely get within the next month.

I am certainly not a big fan of Snyder/Allen. However - if Cousins is looking for $80M+ guaranteed money then I certainly can understand the backlash against him. That could also backfire against him if he falls short or gets injured during the season. To be clear - we really have no evidence of what either side has offered at this time. We just need to let this play out through next Mon - hopefully they come to some type of agreement. These things quite often are settled at the 11th hour.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am certainly not a big fan of Snyder/Allen. However - if Cousins is looking for $80M+ guaranteed money then I certainly can understand the backlash against him. That could also backfire against him if he falls short or gets injured during the season. To be clear - we really have no evidence of what either side has offered at this time. We just need to let this play out through next Mon - hopefully they come to some type of agreement. These things quite often are settled at the 11th hour.

Thing is, I have zero faith in our front office at this point.

Also looking at most QB contracts, they are set up to have a certain portion fully guaranteed, and then another 30-40% as triggered guarantees that in the first 2-3 years are only counted due to injury.

Luck got $47 fully, but $87 for injury. Carr got $40M fully guaranteed, $70M for injury. Those injury years are triggered to become fully guaranteed.

Kirk from all reports is asking for $58M fully guaranteed ( this years tag + next years tag) which would mean $58M fully guaranteed, and around $78-81M for career ending injury which the rest would be time triggered much like Luck or Carr.

What he is asking for is not unreasonable, just unpalatable considering that this is NOT who Dan and Bruce wanted to be in this situation with.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also looking at most QB contracts, they are set up to have a certain portion fully guaranteed, and then another 30-40% as triggered guarantees that in the first 2-3 years are only counted due to injury.

Luck got $47 fully, but $87 for injury. Carr got $40M fully guaranteed, $70M for injury. Those injury years are triggered to become fully guaranteed.

Kirk from all reports is asking for $58M fully guaranteed ( this years tag + next years tag) which would mean $58M fully guaranteed, and around $78-81M for career ending injury which the rest would be time triggered much like Luck or Carr.

What he is asking for is not unreasonable, just unpalatable considering that this is NOT who Dan and Bruce wanted to be in this situation with.

If that is what Cousins is requesting - fine - no real issue with that. I understand your take about the FO. However - again - these things quite often drag out till the end (w/ good reason) so I would not write this off just yet.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - who cares. I just want to see this worked out to the benefit of the Redskins & don't give a crap whether this falls on the Redskins, Cousins or both. My main concern is that if they don't work this out this week then it will be very difficult (and costly at best) to work this out next offseason, and I see the option of moving on without Cousins as not being a good one IMO.

I want it worked out in the team's favor.

I see signing KC as being in the best interest of the team.

I am not sure if our FO sees it the same. If they don't and he walks, it is 100% on them.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want it worked out in the team's favor.

I see signing KC as being in the best interest of the team.

I am not sure if our FO sees it the same. If they don't and he walks, it is 100% on them.

Agree 100% with your 2nd pt. I don't really care about the other pts. We will see one week from now. Until that time it is pretty much speculation. Unfortunately - again - a lot of these type of things are settled at the last minute. If they don't settle it by then it won't surprise me at all.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is that you don't have any idea if I was "quick to pass judgement to Cousins for this impasse," any more than you have any idea if I was "quick to jump to the whole 'Kirk should never be starting and he will fail' line of thinking."

You have YOUR OPINION.

Since I last joined the SportsHoopla Jan 14, 2014, I have apparently 359 posts - or about one every 3 days.
Since you last joined the SportsHoopla, on July 4, 2013, you have apparently 12,992 posts - or about TEN TIMES the amount of posts that I have, in only six months more time.

You're used to "hearing yourself talk." I get it.

You're wrong on all accounts, but I get it. You love yourself some you.

Awesome! Have at it.

Like SoCal said: "The blame could be put on both sides & if this is resolved this week then who really cares."

Truth is, I never singled YOU out as being one of those fans. I simply pointed out the coincidence that alot of people who are quick to say this is all Kirks fault and he is being a dick, were also the folks who were quick to say he never should have started and we gave up on Griffin too soon.

Im also wondering what my post count has to do with anything, I kill time here.Last I checked it wasnt illegal, and i actually enjoy discussing/debating things important to the team I support.

At the end of the day I dont question Cousins motives, because of the two parties involved (Kirk and the front office) I have seen the front office to be more of the dick when dealing with players historically. So while I agree both parties have some culpability in this, I tend to think the front office takes most of the blame at this time.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is that you don't have any idea if I was "quick to pass judgement to Cousins for this impasse," any more than you have any idea if I was "quick to jump to the whole 'Kirk should never be starting and he will fail' line of thinking."

You have YOUR OPINION.

Since I last joined the SportsHoopla Jan 14, 2014, I have apparently 359 posts - or about one every 3 days.
Since you last joined the SportsHoopla, on July 4, 2013, you have apparently 12,992 posts - or about TEN TIMES the amount of posts that I have, in only six months more time.

You're used to "hearing yourself talk." I get it.

You're wrong on all accounts, but I get it. You love yourself some you.

Awesome! Have at it.

Like SoCal said: "The blame could be put on both sides & if this is resolved this week then who really cares."

You have a post about passing judgement while passing judgement on both Kirk and Shark. :scratch:

Maybe if you have a low post count it is okay to do that :noidea:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kirk Balls out as you put it, he walks.

But I get it, thats what alot of you are hoping for.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The price goes up every day! $58 million fully gt is acceptable considering what Carr and Luck got? :tsk: By next Monday you "Lovers" will be willing to pay this clown $75mill FULLY guaranteed. When is enough...enough??

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price goes up every day! $58 million ft is acceptable considering what Carr and Luck got? :tsk: By next Monday you "Lovers" will be willing to pay this clown $75mill FULLY guaranteed. When is enough...enough??

The price has been $58M from the moment the Redskins decided to tag him.

When will the haters realize that our other options are

1. Pay Grapalo or McCarron $25M a year for a hell of alot less being accomplished.
2. Pay the price in draft picks and HOPE like hell they finally get it right and find that ever so elusive Elite QB.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I don't get. Those that have labeled KC greedy or a dick are basing their opinions on what? What has he done or not done to garner those opinions? Hell, he hasn't even had a chance to be greedy or a dick. He is still waiting on a fair market offer from the front office for 2 FUCKING YEARS! And he is being the dick? I could kinda understand if they made an offer that was supposed to be fair and rejected it. But he hasn't even had that chance yet. Why not put the onus on the ones that have yet to do their jobs?

SO for those of you (not including coach because I can't stand to read another 15 line post with no punctuation, it gives me a headache) please explain to me what exactly has KC done to be greedy or a dick?