• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to Cleveland For Three Games August 23-25

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers don't win many series on the road. In fact, they haven't done so since right before the break.

Eovaldi, Gray and Bradford are scheduled to pitch this series. Beyond this series, the pitching matchups are a little hazy again, as Max Scherzer has been pulled from a scheduled rehab appearance.

Last night it was reported that Kumar Rocker would be promoted to AAA. That should have been fully expected as he has totally dominated AA since his return from injury.

It was also reported that the Rangers are probably promoting Jack Leiter to the big leagues, again, presumably, to take Scherzer's spot in the rotation. We'll see if that is the case.

The Rangers are currently 59-69. We currently occupy the 5th best spot in the draft lottery as the White Sox and the Athletics are ineligible for the lottery in the upcoming draft.

One other thing to watch involves Dustin Harris. He was removed from the Round Rock game a couple of nights ago with no explanation, and he didn't play last night either. Some were speculating that he could be getting a promotion to the Rangers. That is difficult to know since the Rangers are usually very closed-mouthed when it comes to injuries to their minor lraguers. I guess we will find out late this afternoon.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers don't win many series on the road. In fact, they haven't done so since right before the break.

Eovaldi, Gray and Bradford are scheduled to pitch this series. Beyond this series, the pitching matchups are a little hazy again, as Max Scherzer has been pulled from a scheduled rehab appearance.

Last night it was reported that Kumar Rocker would be promoted to AAA. That should have been fully expected as he has totally dominated AA since his return from injury.

It was also reported that the Rangers are probably promoting Jack Leiter to the big leagues, again, presumably, to take Scherzer's spot in the rotation. We'll see if that is the case.

The Rangers are currently 59-69. We currently occupy the 5th best spot in the draft lottery as the White Sox and the Athletics are ineligible for the lottery in the upcoming draft.

One other thing to watch involves Dustin Harris. He was removed from the Round Rock game a couple of nights ago with no explanation, and he didn't play last night either. Some were speculating that he could be getting a promotion to the Rangers. That is difficult to know since the Rangers are usually very closed-mouthed when it comes to injuries to their minor lraguers. I guess we will find out late this afternoon.
If they do bring Leiter up I hope his results are much better so that he is encouraged going forward.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do bring Leiter up I hope his results are much better so that he is encouraged going forward.
I sure would have liked for him to have gotten a few more starts for Round Rock before coming up.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jared Sandler:

Eovaldi's 3 walks over his last 9 GS is t-2nd fewest in a 9 start span this season, behind Zach Eflin's 2 walks.

In terms of franchise history, Eovaldi's 3 walks is the fewest over any Rangers pitcher's 9 start span in franchise history

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jared Sandler:

Eovaldi's 3 walks over his last 9 GS is t-2nd fewest in a 9 start span this season, behind Zach Eflin's 2 walks.

In terms of franchise history, Eovaldi's 3 walks is the fewest over any Rangers pitcher's 9 start span in franchise history
9 start spans aren't what they used to be.

That is great, but to be fair, a 9 start span is not what it used to be in innings pitched per start. Fergie had 5 walks in a 9 start span where he pitched 79 innings.

Last edited:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure would have liked for him to have gotten a few more starts for Round Rock before coming up.
My feelings as well. If he gets lit up it might knock him back a little.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 start spans aren't what they used to be.

That is great, but to be fair, a 9 start span is not what it used to be in innings pitched per start. Fergie had 5 walks in a 9 start span where he pitched 79 innings.
Two of Fergie's five walks were in the 6th inning. Three of Eovaldi's starts in this nine game span saw Eovaldi pitch five innings or less.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feelings as well. If he gets lit up it might knock him back a little.
I also wonder what they do when Mahle comes back. I guess with the way the timetables for our injuries have so often been grossly underestimated this year, we shouldn't count on Mahle making it back this year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Jack Leiter is a candidate to start Wednesday for #Rangers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From The Prospect Times:

The DSL Rangers Red won 5-2 against the DSL Tigers 2 to force a game three of the DSL Quarterfinals tomorrow morning.

The winner will advance to the Semifinals that start Sunday.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox, and former Blue Jay catcher, Danny Jansen, will catch in the resumption of a suspended game on Monday. When the game was suspended , he was at bat for the Blue Jays as they were playing the Red Sox. Later he was traded to the Red Sox, so he will have to be pinch hit for when the game resumes. The game will resume Monday. Monday he will catch for the Red Sox in the same game he started as a Blue Jay. He will be the first player ever to play for both teams in the same game

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20240823_153003.jpg

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Montgomery is being moved to the pen by the Diamondbacks. They may be nudging him toward not exercising his option.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Izack Tiger pitches tonight for Hickory.

Ryan Garcia pitches tonight for Round Rock.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wonder what they do when Mahle comes back. I guess with the way the timetables for our injuries have so often been grossly underestimated this year, we shouldn't count on Mahle making it back this year.
well if we don't count on him and deGrom and Scherzer plus Sborz and Latz getting back sometime this season i could see both Leiter and Rocker getting promoted and getting a couple of starts maybe more before the end of the season, but some amount of logic says that with 34 games left that with Bradford, Eovaldi, Heaney, Gray, Scherzer, deGrom, Mahle, Dunning, Urena, Leiter & Rocker listed as starters and with Anderson, Chafin, Festa, Leclerc, Pennington, Robertson & Latz, who do we carry and who do we dump to set pitching roster at 13 (14 when 1 Sept rolls around)?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers at Guardians, 7:10 p.m. | TV: MLB.TV
  • The Pick: Guardians (-135)
  • Key trend: The Guardians are 4-1 in Tanner Bibee's last five starts.
SportsLine expert Jeff Hochman is 10-1 in his last 11 moneyline picks involving the Rangers.
  • Hochman: "Rangers starting pitcher Nathan Eovaldi has pitched much better at home with a 3.16 ERA and opponents are hitting just .195 against him, however, on the road, Eovaldi is getting hit around to the tune of a 4.87 ERA and opponents are hitting .286 against him. Meanwhile, Guardians starter Tanner Bibee is holding opponents to a .226 batting average at Progressive Field. In addition, the Guardians are ranked first in bullpen ERA (2.68), while the Rangers have the fourth-worst bullpen ERA (4.44) this season. Cleveland owns a +46 run differential at home, while Texas is -62 on the road."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if we don't count on him and deGrom and Scherzer plus Sborz and Latz getting back sometime this season i could see both Leiter and Rocker getting promoted and getting a couple of starts maybe more before the end of the season, but some amount of logic says that with 34 games left that with Bradford, Eovaldi, Heaney, Gray, Scherzer, deGrom, Mahle, Dunning, Urena, Leiter & Rocker listed as starters and with Anderson, Chafin, Festa, Leclerc, Pennington, Robertson & Latz, who do we carry and who do we dump to set pitching roster at 13 (14 when 1 Sept rolls around)?
I imagine Anderson and Festa are at the bottom of the pecking order.

I don't think we see Rocker up here this year. I doubt they want to carry him on the 40 until next season.

I am not sure that either Mahle or Scherzer is coming off the DL.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Scott Lucas:

Alejandro Rosario missed 16 bats, his most in high-A. He's walked seven and struck out 54 for Hickory, and opponents are hitting .209/.254/.269 against him at that level vs. .200/.230/.272 in ten earlier low-A starts. That is to say, moving to a tougher level and a more hitter-friendly home park hasn't affected him in the slightest. The start I saw in person at Fredericksburg -- 4.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R -- remains his worst of the year. (I was still duly impressed.)

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Anderson and Festa are at the bottom of the pecking order.

I don't think we see Rocker up here this year. I doubt they want to carry him on the 40 until next season.

I am not sure that either Mahle or Scherzer is coming off the DL.
agree with points 1 & 2, but not ready as you to write off both Mahle and Scherzer i think Mahle is going to get at least 2 or 3 starts maybe more and i think the Rangers will try and get at least 2 from Scherzer

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with points 1 & 2, but not ready as you to write off both Mahle and Scherzer i think Mahle is going to get at least 2 or 3 starts maybe more and i think the Rangers will try and get at least 2 from Scherzer
Oh, I am not suggesting the Rangers don't want those guys to come back. I think they wanted Scherzer to pitch next Wednesday. I just think Scherzer is too fragile. I am suspecting Mahle was hurt more than they let on on more than they think. That may not be the case, but it is hard to ne confident that he isn't. Of the two, Mahle would surprise me the least if he makes it back.

As bad as this year has been with injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if another pitcher or two gets hurt before the end of the season.

Last edited: