• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to Boston For Three Games August 12-14

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

That would be 8th time this year Langford has had a called third strike on a pitch out of the zone. Doesn’t lead the majors but it’s in top 10.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a wrap; the season is essentially over. Time to take a look at some of the young pups - Foscue, Harris, Crim, Teodo, and Leiter, ect.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a wrap; the season is essentially over. Time to take a look at some of the young pups - Foscue, Harris, Crim, Teodo, and Leiter, ect.
I will take the first three, but I want Teodo and Leiter to finish their development.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would also like to see Sandro Fabian in the OF and Wolfram coming out of the pen instead of Leclerc

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below are 2 different top 30 prospect lists for the Rangers. The first one is by Jamey Newberg and the second one is by MLB Pipeline. I think the differences can give us some clues as to which prospects will eventually cause the system to be ranked higher. I think Newberg has a better grasp on who our better prospects are.

One difference right away is that Jamey includes 2 guys who were just drafted by the Rangers as his #3 and #10, in Moore amd Dreiling. Jamey also has newly drafted Dan Hagaman at #25 and Casey Cook at #28. It is hard to say those guys will eventually affect our rankings with other teams though, as the other teams do not have their recently drafted guys listed for their teams either.

The differences that matter most for this exercise is the difference in the guys Jamey ranks higher than MLB. Here are the guys that Jamey has at least 2 spots higher. I included how many spots Jamey had them ranked higher than MLB Pipeline. Some of the numbers have the word "plus" after them, meaning these guys were not even ranked by MLB, so the number I gave would be if they were ranked #31 by MLB.

Rosario +2
Teodo +11
Vargas +10
Santana +2
Bratt +9
Santos +4
Drake +16 plus
Cabrera +15 plus
Figuereo +14 plus
Tiger +9
Morel +2
Hales +7 plus

There were 8 guys that Jamey ranks 7 spots, or more, higher than MLB has them ranked, and thus are the most significant differences. Although, I think even Rosario and Santana are significant differences when you take unto consideration how high they were ranked. They were each ranked 2 spots higher than MLB's rankings, but 2 spots can mean a much bigger difference in the top 10 or especially the top 5, than 5 or 6 spots difference down in the #20 to #30 range.

Guys like Teodo, Vargas, Bratt, Drake, Cabrera, Figuereo, Tiger and Hales could mean that the talent level in the organization is a lot better than MLB thinks it is. I think Rosario could fit into that category as well.

I might add that I believe both MLB and Jamey Newberg may be underestimating Dane Acker and Ryan Garcia. I might as well throw in my favorite underapprecuated prospect, Blaine Crim, into that category, too.

Jamey Newberg's Rankings

1. Walcott
2. Rocker
3. Moore
4. Rosario
5. Teodo
6. Leiter
7. Foscue
8. Vargas
9. Corniell
10. Dreiling
11. Santana
12. Bratt
13. Santos
14. Cauley
15. Drake
16. Cabrera
17. Figuereo
18. Castillo
19. Gutierrez
20. Tiger
21. Harris
22. Osuna
23. Morel
24. Hales
25. Hagaman
26. Pennington
27. White
28. Cook
29. Acker
30. Porter

MLB Pipeline's Rankings

1. Walcott
2. Foscue
3. Rocker
4. Gutierrez
5. Leiter
6. Rosario
7. Porter
8. Corniell
9. White
10. Harris
11. Ortiz
12. Cauley
13. Santana
14. Castillo
15. Morrobel
16. Teodo
17. Santos
18. Vargas
19. Stephan
20. Curry
21 Bratt
22. Osuna
23. Zavala
24. Church
25. Morel
26. Torres
27. Figuereo
28. Acker
29. Tiger
30. Lopez
Twenty-four hours after I posted this, MLB rearranged how they have our prospects ranked. Now the differences in their list and Newberg's list are much smaller, on the whole.

I mentioned Teodo, Vargas, Bratt, Drake, Cabrera, Figuereo, Tiger, and Hales as being the prospects that Jamey ranked significantly higher than MLB Pipeline. With the reranking MLB moved Teodo up 10 spots, They didn't have Drake, Cabrera or Figuereo ranked at all, and now they are at 21, 22 and 23 respectively. MLB moved Tiger up 16 spots. They also rank Hales at 28 after not ranking him previously.

There are still some differences, but they are not really that significant when viewed as a whole.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have announced that Dane Dunning is "expected" to start today.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has now been 18 days since Jack Leiter made a start for Round Rock. The Rangers have said he isn't hurt. He wasn't struggling over his last few starts. He is 25 innings shy of his career high so that shouldn't be a problem.

Why shut him down and then ramp him back up? Let him pitch however many innings you want him to pitch and then shut him down. I wonder if this treatment is the best thing for his longterm health and stamina.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good thing they are letting Duran get cold again. That way, the bad take can be made that he is a poor hitter when he does play.

He got 2 hits in a start on Aug. 3 even though he only played 7 innings. He made 2 starts since then, going 0 for 6 and hasn't started since. That last start was 8 days ago.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good thing they are letting Duran get cold again. That way, the bad take can be made that he is a poor hitter when he does play.

He got 2 hits in a start on Aug. 3 even though he only played 7 innings. He made 2 starts since then, going 0 for 6 and hasn't started since. That last start was 8 days ago.
That’s Bochy’s way. Did the same thing to Huff. Would really like to see someone else managing the Rangers next year.