• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to Boston For Three Games August 12-14

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping some of our recent international signings continue to flourish. If that happens our system may turn out to be a little better than some think.

Then there are guys like Dane Acker and Ryan Garcia, that most of those doing the rankings are not considering as being good prospects. Those two guys could break through like Bradford did. Cody wasn't thought of highly by most of them, either. Izack Tiger could be another one of those. Kohl Drake, too.

The surprising think about our system currently is the dearth of hitting prospects. That is the area I hope some of the recent International signings can shore up.
Love your enthusiasm about the minors.
Hope that OF from Tennessee does well
There are always surprises and IMO nothing is an exact science. Even the Angels got some good players from an empty farm

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below are 2 different top 30 prospect lists for the Rangers. The first one is by Jamey Newberg and the second one is by MLB Pipeline. I think the differences can give us some clues as to which prospects will eventually cause the system to be ranked higher. I think Newberg has a better grasp on who our better prospects are.

One difference right away is that Jamey includes 2 guys who were just drafted by the Rangers as his #3 and #10, in Moore amd Dreiling. Jamey also has newly drafted Dan Hagaman at #25 and Casey Cook at #28. It is hard to say those guys will eventually affect our rankings with other teams though, as the other teams do not have their recently drafted guys listed for their teams either.

The differences that matter most for this exercise is the difference in the guys Jamey ranks higher than MLB. Here are the guys that Jamey has at least 2 spots higher. I included how many spots Jamey had them ranked higher than MLB Pipeline. Some of the numbers have the word "plus" after them, meaning these guys were not even ranked by MLB, so the number I gave would be if they were ranked #31 by MLB.

Rosario +2
Teodo +11
Vargas +10
Santana +2
Bratt +9
Santos +4
Drake +16 plus
Cabrera +15 plus
Figuereo +14 plus
Tiger +9
Morel +2
Hales +7 plus

There were 8 guys that Jamey ranks 7 spots, or more, higher than MLB has them ranked, and thus are the most significant differences. Although, I think even Rosario and Santana are significant differences when you take unto consideration how high they were ranked. They were each ranked 2 spots higher than MLB's rankings, but 2 spots can mean a much bigger difference in the top 10 or especially the top 5, than 5 or 6 spots difference down in the #20 to #30 range.

Guys like Teodo, Vargas, Bratt, Drake, Cabrera, Figuereo, Tiger and Hales could mean that the talent level in the organization is a lot better than MLB thinks it is. I think Rosario could fit into that category as well.

I might add that I believe both MLB and Jamey Newberg may be underestimating Dane Acker and Ryan Garcia. I might as well throw in my favorite underapprecuated prospect, Blaine Crim, into that category, too.

Jamey Newberg's Rankings

1. Walcott
2. Rocker
3. Moore
4. Rosario
5. Teodo
6. Leiter
7. Foscue
8. Vargas
9. Corniell
10. Dreiling
11. Santana
12. Bratt
13. Santos
14. Cauley
15. Drake
16. Cabrera
17. Figuereo
18. Castillo
19. Gutierrez
20. Tiger
21. Harris
22. Osuna
23. Morel
24. Hales
25. Hagaman
26. Pennington
27. White
28. Cook
29. Acker
30. Porter

MLB Pipeline's Rankings

1. Walcott
2. Foscue
3. Rocker
4. Gutierrez
5. Leiter
6. Rosario
7. Porter
8. Corniell
9. White
10. Harris
11. Ortiz
12. Cauley
13. Santana
14. Castillo
15. Morrobel
16. Teodo
17. Santos
18. Vargas
19. Stephan
20. Curry
21 Bratt
22. Osuna
23. Zavala
24. Church
25. Morel
26. Torres
27. Figuereo
28. Acker
29. Tiger
30. Lopez

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal writes about the possibility of the Rangers making a waiver wire dump of impending free agents before the end of this month, much like the Angels did a year ago. He notes that even if the Rangers dumped Heaney, Eovaldi, Yates and Robertson, that they would still be above the luxury tax level so it wouldn't affect them like it did the Angels a year ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sporteac is estimating the Rangers to have $93 million AAV to spend before being subject to the competitive balance tax next year. Free agents that are signed, young pre-arbitration players, and arbitration eligible players all have to fit within that figure to avoid the luxury tax. It sounds like Ray Davis wants to not pay that tax again next year

The $143 million they already have tied up includes Eovaldi's $20 million as well as us picking up options on Robertson and Chafin. It also includes, deGrom, Seager, Semien, Mahle, Gray, and Garcia who are all under contract for 2025.

If Eovaldi doesn't get to exercise his option, or decides not to, and if Chafin's option isn't picked up, that adds $26.5 million more to spend. That would bring the total to spend up to $119.5 million AAV. Trading Garcia and/or Lowe could help even more.

If we had $115 million AAV to spend how much would you spend in which area? I gave that figure to save some room for mid-season additions.

Good relievers might cost in the $10 million AAV range. A good starting pitcher might cost $15-18 million. Great ones, might go up to $30-40 million AAV. Same thing for a good or great position player. You might get some decent guys in the $5-10 million AAV range.

How would you spend the money and would you do anything that might add some more salary space?

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal writes about the possibility of the Rangers making a waiver wire dump of impending free agents before the end of this month, much like the Angels did a year ago. He notes that even if the Rangers dumped Heaney, Eovaldi, Yates and Robertson, that they would still be above the luxury tax level so it wouldn't affect them like it did the Angels a year ago.
then we should still dump those that aren't important like Grossman, Taveras, Jankowski, Ornelas, Anderson & Garabito and bring up Crim, Fabian, Harris and add Teodo, Rocker, Wolfram & Santos. and see what they can bring the last 4 to 6 weeks

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Burke was selected by the Angels.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of the 3 teams that Bruce Bochy has managed, only the Rangers have a regular season record over .500 with him at the helm. Only one Bruce Bochy managed tram has ever had a season with a winning percentage of .600 or better. In 27 years of managing only 5 of his teams have won as many as 90 games.
Dave Roberts has a .629 winning percentage with the Dodgers and has never won a World Series in a 162 game season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Roberts has a .629 winning percentage with the Dodgers and has never won a World Series in a 162 game season.
Lol. Neither did any of the managers who managed in 154 game seasons.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still no word about who pitches tomorrow.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bochy sure has cut back Heim’s playing time. Why is Taveras playing so much.
They announced over the weekend that Heim is no longer the primary catcher.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One reason is because he would run Jansen into the ground and by the time the playoffs would come the guy would have a rubber arm. He has all this talent but I have never been impressed with him as a manager.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No hits through 4 innings. This ream starts so many games like they are still asleep.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

The Rangers don’t have a base runner through the first five innings tonight. They’ve scored exactly one run through the first five innings in their last 7 games