• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Game #1 NY Giants @ NE Patriots NFL Network 8/11/2022 7:00 PM

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think what you want, but Bailey Zappe as a college senior, threw for 5987 yards and 62 TDs. He's got an arm. He wasn't playing OSU, Alabama or Notre Dame every week, but he was Div. 1 at Western Kentucky.

I was impressed with his play in his first game. Say what you will, he's got 100% better mobility than Mac Jones. And he's creative getting rid of the ball with his ability to side arm and throw in full stride. He's certainly not ready to start but having him as a back up is great IMHO.

Passing​

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Passing
*2021Western KentuckyCUSASRQB1447568669.259678.79.86211168.9

JJ Taylor is playing for his football life. He'll catch on somewhere if Bill cuts him, but he's a career back up. He took two kickoffs and tried to run out both. Didn't make it to the 25 on either. Was pretty much stuffed running the ball i the first quarter.

I would say Zappe has a "College" arm. Arm talent was never anything was excited about for him coming out of college. Obviously it was good enough to be great in college, but this is why he fell in the draft even after putting up some fo the best college numbers ever for a QB this last year. I think he will make a great backup in the league, but the idea of him ever developing into a quality starter are slim to none.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Zappe has a "College" arm. Arm talent was never anything was excited about for him coming out of college. Obviously it was good enough to be great in college, but this is why he fell in the draft even after putting up some fo the best college numbers ever for a QB this last year. I think he will make a great backup in the league, but the idea of him ever developing into a quality starter are slim to none.
Here's where you are wrong... His chances are fine because he has his foot in the door. Plenty of great QB prospects went nowhere despite having their whole body in the door. Zappe proved he can win and that along with his foot in the door gives him more than slim to none chances. I guess definition of quality starter isn't clearly defined, but if defined too loosely you're left with about nine or ten quality starters each year. Was Cassel a quality starter? He had quality starts. How about Cousins? Was Mayfield ever that?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't play scared.

Nor did any of what you just said have any meaning as to why IF the starters played why would they have run the same plays?
They wou;d not be playing to win the game.
The plays were scripted.
It was a practice.
Vanilla to keep best plays in your pocket.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wou;d not be playing to win the game.
The plays were scripted.
It was a practice.
Vanilla to keep best plays in your pocket.
We can debate this all day. I'm a fan of getting the starters a handful of reps in preseason games. Just a few series.

Beside giving bubble players those snaps what's the difference between preseason game 1 and game 3? If it's your time to get injured it could happen during practice at the team's facility.

We don't know if they would've used the same scripted plays or not? Would they still be very vanilla? Probably.

Again what's the difference in those plays be it game 1 or game 3 in the preseason? It's not like you're opening up the total playbook. The starters even during the season will run very vanilla plays. Nothing other teams haven't seen before. You still need to put a helmet on a helmet and execute.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can argue this all day. I'm a fan of getting the starters a handful of reps in preseason games. Just a few series.

Beside giving bubble players those snaps what's the difference between preseason game 1 and game 3? If it's your time to get injured it could happen during practice at the team's facility.

We don't know if they would've used the same scripted plays or not? Would they still be very vanilla? Probably.

Again what's the difference in those plays be it game 1 or game 3 in the preseason? It's not like you're opening up the total playbook. The starters even during the season will run very vanilla plays. Nothing other teams haven't seen before. You still need to put a helmet on a helmet and execute.
One of the lessons in safety management is mathmatical.
For instance: If you do something unsafe 1 time it is different than doing it 10 times.
If you are in an awkward situation for 5 minutes, it is less risk than doing it 8 hours.
If 1 man is doing it, risk is less than 5 men doing it.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For instance: If you do something unsafe 1 time it is different than doing it 10 times.
If you are in an awkward situation for 5 minutes, it is less risk than doing it 8 hours.
If you do something unsafe once, you are 10 times more likely to do it unsafely again.

And again.

And again.

And if one person is doing something unsafe, it affects the culture of the team.

And those unsafe acts lead to minor incidents, which lead to major incidents.

And I only say that as a Project Health and Safety Manager looking at 5281 days accident and incident free as of today.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you do something unsafe once, you are 10 times more likely to do it unsafely again.

And again.

And again.

And if one person is doing something unsafe, it affects the culture of the team.

And those unsafe acts lead to minor incidents, which lead to major incidents.

And I only say that as a Project Health and Safety Manager looking at 5281 days accident and incident free as of today.
Congratulations!

Note that in military, sometimes risk is unavoidable. That's why we use risk assessment and risk management.
Going into a situation where you know somebody wants to shhot you is risky. Our service members do it anyway!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations!

Note that in military, sometimes risk is unavoidable. That's why we use risk assessment and risk management.
Going into a situation where you know somebody wants to shhot you is risky. Our service members do it anyway!
1000% agree.

As someone who got promoted to safety because I was always the one who could figure out a way around it....

As long as the risk assessment/management is being utilized. Which is completely different than taking a shortcut or becoming complacent.
Take the time and analyze the hazards and then decide the most efficient method of accomplishing the task.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1000% agree.

As someone who got promoted to safety because I was always the one who could figure out a way around it....

As long as the risk assessment/management is being utilized. Which is completely different than taking a shortcut or becoming complacent.
Take the time and analyze the hazards and then decide the most efficient method of accomplishing the task.
I won a lot of awards for safety because I was very good at it.
One of the awards was being called "asshole"
Most contractors enjoyed working with me because I could help them find an acceptable solution.
I didn't just write them up and walk away.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most contractors enjoyed working with me because I could help them find an acceptable solution.
EXACTLY!

It's not about telling someone they cannot do something, it's about finding a way that they can!

If you don't succeed, I don't succeed.

Not that I haven't had to shut a contractor or two down. I have had a few superintendents and a few Project Managers replaced for cutting the corner on safety.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they should never practice or play because it's dangerous?

It's not like crossing a street blindfolded.

It's football and injuries will happen. But if you play scared you're also more likely to get injured.
The risk management piece comes in by playing starters with starters for a limited amount of reps.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent 25 years in Loss Control doing exactly the same thing.

Always found a way to do things without shutting down production or a process.

The only time I wrote 'em up and walked away was when they refused to listen to anything but themselves.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent 25 years in Loss Control doing exactly the same thing.

Always found a way to do things without shutting down production or a process.

The only time I wrote 'em up and walked away was when they refused to listen to anything but themselves.
I strarted every pre-construction meeting with, "I can be your best friend or worst enemy!"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where you are wrong... His chances are fine because he has his foot in the door. Plenty of great QB prospects went nowhere despite having their whole body in the door. Zappe proved he can win and that along with his foot in the door gives him more than slim to none chances. I guess definition of quality starter isn't clearly defined, but if defined too loosely you're left with about nine or ten quality starters each year. Was Cassel a quality starter? He had quality starts. How about Cousins? Was Mayfield ever that?

Ok I guess I would say we are not saying anything that much different. I did say the word "slim" which means small chance. If you don't have an NFL arm then you have to be either one of the most athletic guys to play the position or have one of the best brains to ever play the game. It is why Manning could get away with his arm being shot towards the end of his career because he could outthink anyone. Zappe I wouldn't put in either of those categories, but he could prove me wrong on the smarts. Time will tell.

As for quality starter I would put Cousins in that category. Anyone that can be a top half of the league type QB I would qualify as quality. Mayfield has done that before but I need to see how his shoulder healed from his injury because he hasn't done it long enough. If Zappe can turn into a Cousins level player then I will more than admit I was wrong on that kid. I see him more in the same light I see Brett Rypien for the Broncos of a decent backup option that a coach can trust, but will limit the playbook because of arm limitations.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I strarted every pre-construction meeting with, "I can be your best friend or worst enemy!"
I have a list of "Intolerable Offenses"
#1. If your supervisor asks, allows or condones you to work in or around an unsafe condition, he must be replaced.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a list of "Intolerable Offenses"
#1. If your supervisor asks, allows or condones you to work in or around an unsafe condition, he must be replaced.
Never surprise me.
If there is an issue, let me hear it from you - never from the brass!
Don't ask for me to get you out of it if you tried to hide it from me.

Never lie to me!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never surprise me.
If there is an issue, let me hear it from you - never from the brass!
Don't ask for me to get you out of it if you tried to hide it from me.

Never lie to me!
I told you what was wrong and what needed to be done to fix it. If a serious injury or death occurs as a result of this, you will not only be fined, but can be charged with being knowingly negligent with criminal intent. If OSHA charges you, it will be in Federal Court and in the event of a workplace death, you could serve up to 25 years in a federal pen. Just thought you should know because it will be documented. Have a nice day.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you what was wrong and what needed to be done to fix it. If a serious injury or death occurs as a result of this, you will not only be fined, but can be charged with being knowingly negligent with criminal intent. If OSHA charges you, it will be in Federal Court and in the event of a workplace death, you could serve up to 25 years in a federal pen. Just thought you should know because it will be documented. Have a nice day.
I had a Marine Lt. Colonel tell me to approve a demolition plan for a 20,000 gallon diesel fuel tank.
He told me to "just let them do it" I held up demolition for 6 months while waiting for a suitable plan.
A suitable plan was listed on the NFPA, of which I did not have a copy to quote.
I told him, now way. Hundreds of Marines and civilians could be killed in the explosion!
He was pissed. F him - I'm not a "yes man"