• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Game #1 NY Giants @ NE Patriots NFL Network 8/11/2022 7:00 PM

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This implies BB would lose on purpose and I cant see that.
In BB's mind he has never won or lost a preseason game. I laugh when looking back to the days when we thought an undefeated preseason meant something.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Perfect" 1st pre-season game!
In it enough to feel "good"
Bad enough to see what and who to work on. a few players were screaming, "cut me!" (see ya, Joejuan!)

Thhere were some players that had "it"
Others did not.
One thing I noticed was most of the fatties were not in as good of shape as typical.
backups were tired in 2nd half.e scripted plays
Offense play calls were bad???? No, they were scripted plays. Vanilla offense - typical preseason.
We were playing the plays we were not yet good at, so in that case it was improvement.
Our young, Linebackers looked good for 1st game. They'll get better!

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think the kid has a great arm I feel his decision making is limited his ability. He does not commit to the throw or the play, that will come with time

I only got to see the final few plays of the first half and then the entire second half.

I know Zappe wasn't perfect by any stretch but he was pretty darned fun to watch.

Nixon looked great but the announcers kept alluding to a 3rd down drop earlier in the game that I didn't get to see. Zoe kept mentioning that it was a bad drop.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but that roughing the passer call on(don't remember his name) was total bullshit. That was just a really bad call.
It was a bad call but not for preseason.
It was a wake-up call to not piledrive the QB's
Typical preseason bullshit.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a bad call but not for preseason.
It was a wake-up call to not piledrive the QB's
Typical preseason bullshit.

Fair enough but I don't know how that shit doesn't get into a young players head. It was a perfectly executed play. He should've been high fiving his teammates but instead has to ponder WTF he did wrong.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only got to see the final few plays of the first half and then the entire second half.

I know Zappe wasn't perfect by any stretch but he was pretty darned fun to watch.

Nixon looked great but the announcers kept alluding to a 3rd down drop earlier in the game that I didn't get to see. Zoe kept mentioning that it was a bad drop.
Drops happen as long as they don't happen often I don't get to bent out of shape.

For me it looked more like Zappe just hadn't caught onto the offense yet, or the speed of the game. I don't see him as a starter anywhere, nor do I see starting skills in him. Career back up of quality is what I see.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drops happen as long as they don't happen often I don't get to bent out of shape.

For me it looked more like Zappe just hadn't caught onto the offense yet, or the speed of the game. I don't see him as a starter anywhere, nor do I see starting skills in him. Career back up of quality is what I see.
I see him as someone not ready but with potential.
How much? Don't know.....

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I saw things differently but Zappe has a weak/garbage arm. Every throw was short. The WR's bailed his ass out on damn near every throw. Maybe some were intentional. He was under pressure damn near every time he dropped back. But... it was his first game. He will most certainly get better. I hope..

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody have any thoughts on JJ Taylor? He had a few good runs but then his ST's play didn't appear to be all that stellar. He was in quite a few plays. BB auditioning him for other teams or?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a "Winners and Losers" column referring to Joejuan Williams as a "Loser" which I feel really isn't quite accurate... To be a loser you need to lose something where Williams merely played "as expected".

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a keeper.

He had a really good night. He had one outstanding where he pulled, cut back and got at least six yards out in front of Harris. He picked off a defender and Harris got 13 yards, I think. He was so far upfield that they showed it on a replay.

They didn't give up a sack and only two hits. For a group of backups they more than held their own. Run blocking is a whole 'nother subject. They were not good at all even cracking an opening. Then again, not one outside run was called all night. Very, very, very vanilla offense.

IMO, Zappe is #2. 18/23 for 205 TD. His worst play was not checking for the defender and getting the pass tapped and intercepted. Judge chewed his butt as soon as he got to the sideline and sat down with him and the laptop.
Zappe did get sacked for 8 yards. The defender pretty much came thru untouched.

The NYG D seemed to be in Zappe and Hoyers face all night which was part of so many of those throws coming up short.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think what you want, but Bailey Zappe as a college senior, threw for 5987 yards and 62 TDs. He's got an arm. He wasn't playing OSU, Alabama or Notre Dame every week, but he was Div. 1 at Western Kentucky.

I was impressed with his play in his first game. Say what you will, he's got 100% better mobility than Mac Jones. And he's creative getting rid of the ball with his ability to side arm and throw in full stride. He's certainly not ready to start but having him as a back up is great IMHO.

Passing​

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2021Western KentuckyCUSASRQB1447568669.259678.79.86211168.9

JJ Taylor is playing for his football life. He'll catch on somewhere if Bill cuts him, but he's a career back up. He took two kickoffs and tried to run out both. Didn't make it to the 25 on either. Was pretty much stuffed running the ball i the first quarter.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think what you want, but Bailey Zappe as a college senior, threw for 5987 yards and 62 TDs. He's got an arm. He wasn't playing OSU, Alabama or Notre Dame every week, but he was Div. 1 at Western Kentucky.

I was impressed with his play in his first game. Say what you will, he's got 100% better mobility than Mac Jones. And he's creative getting rid of the ball with his ability to side arm and throw in full stride. He's certainly not ready to start but having him as a back up is great IMHO.

Passing​

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Passing
*2021Western KentuckyCUSASRQB1447568669.259678.79.86211168.9

JJ Taylor is playing for his football life. He'll catch on somewhere if Bill cuts him, but he's a career back up. He took two kickoffs and tried to run out both. Didn't make it to the 25 on either. Was pretty much stuffed running the ball i the first quarter.
The comments comparing Zappe to Jones seem similar to the ones comparing Matt Cassel to Tom Brady.

JJ Taylor was supposed to take those KRs back, even if he got dumped at the 10. He doesn't need preseason reps taking touchbacks.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zappe did get sacked for 8 yards. The defender pretty much came thru untouched.

The NYG D seemed to be in Zappe and Hoyers face all night which was part of so many of those throws coming up short.
"New England ultimately ran a dumbed-down, back-to-basics offense in the preseason loss to the Giants. We saw virtually none of the new concepts they’ve run during practice. What point would there have been in having Jones and the offensive starters spend a couple of series running the most simplistic plays in the playbook? They’d gain nothing and risk injury. Obviously, the injury risk would’ve been even higher if the offensive linemen were asked to execute the kinds of zone-blocking plays they’ve failed at for two weeks running."

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"New England ultimately ran a dumbed-down, back-to-basics offense in the preseason loss to the Giants. We saw virtually none of the new concepts they’ve run during practice. What point would there have been in having Jones and the offensive starters spend a couple of series running the most simplistic plays in the playbook? They’d gain nothing and risk injury. Obviously, the injury risk would’ve been even higher if the offensive linemen were asked to execute the kinds of zone-blocking plays they’ve failed at for two weeks running."
Why would Jones and the starters have the same dumb downed scripted plays?

The issue is the Oline. They need time to gel.

21 blitzes didn't help Zappe

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Jones and the starters have the same dumb downed scripted plays?

The issue is the Oline. They need time to gel.

21 blitzes didn't help Zappe
We mailed this one in.
Zappe did fine.
Most of the players are catching up or getting cut.
We had no serious injuries.

Are you aware of the high volume of injured players in the "superbowl bound" Bills locker room?
It's an at least 20 game season now, plus playoffs.
Don't need to shoot your wad on 1st preseason game - especially since we are still working on some concepts!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We mailed this one in.
Zappe did fine.
Most of the players are catching up or getting cut.
We had no serious injuries.

Are you aware of the high volume of injured players in the "superbowl bound" Bills locker room?
It's an at least 20 game season now, plus playoffs.
Don't need to shoot your wad on 1st preseason game - especially since we are still working on some concepts!
Can't play scared.

Nor did any of what you just said have any meaning as to why IF the starters played why would they have run the same plays?