• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not "putting yourself before the team". The team has money because players play hockey. The players have a right to try and get as much of that money every chance they get.

i agree with this. we all know they are overpaid and greedy, but so are the owners I think they will get it done.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not "putting yourself before the team". The team has money because players play hockey. The players have a right to try and get as much of that money every chance they get.

I Don't blame him for trying to make money, but it's the Goose and the Golden egg thing. Is making 5 million per for three years really such a bad fate? When he made 800k this one? He should be looking a little more at the big picture. Sign, have two good years and cash in during your prime.

And the putting himself before the team was aimed more at the offer sheet way of getting the deal he wants (and no guarantee he will - but it's likely with this agent...). I would much rather see him sit down and negotiate in good faith than getting someone like Garth Snow to put a bunch of big numbers on a page because his GM said they'd match anything.

i agree with this. we all know they are overpaid and greedy, but so are the owners I think they will get it done.

as much as both sides say its business, you gotta think it gets personal

That's my worry. The chemistry was just right last year. I don't want anything to upset that (from either side). I hate when a player's side is like "Look at what *I* accomplished" and the team is like "Anyone could have done that". Neither is correct.

Calling a three year deal a "slap in the face" *is* a slap in the face to the guys that just got two year deals after their own breakout seasons.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Don't blame him for trying to make money, but it's the Goose and the Golden egg thing. Is making 5 million per for three years really such a bad fate? When he made 800k this one? He should be looking a little more at the big picture. Sign, have two good years and cash in during your prime.

And the putting himself before the team was aimed more at the offer sheet way of getting the deal he wants (and no guarantee he will - but it's likely with this agent...). I would much rather see him sit down and negotiate in good faith than getting someone like Garth Snow to put a bunch of big numbers on a page because his GM said they'd match anything.

That's my worry. The chemistry was just right last year. I don't want anything to upset that (from either side). I hate when a player's side is like "Look at what *I* accomplished" and the team is like "Anyone could have done that". Neither is correct.

Calling a three year deal a "slap in the face" *is* a slap in the face to the guys that just got two year deals after their own breakout seasons.

I wish they would just negotiate OUT of the media, just shut the door and the media and get these things done

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two-year deal worth $850,000 per year

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya.

Ryan could also consider the fact that while he had a fantastic season and has a bright future, he scored 12 points in 40 games the previous season. General managers, at least the smart ones, want to see juuussst a little more than one good season (in Johansen's case one with a decent measure of puck luck) before they give players carte blanche in dictating their own contracts.

If Ryjo wants a 4 year deal he should be prepared to accept a 6+ year deal. See Karlsson, Erik or Tavares, John. You want that extra security, then give up some UFA years.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trib reporting that the Pens targets tomorrow are Pouliot and Kulemin. I have a feeling that getting both is out of the price range, but whooooo knows. Not sure what the market will look like until those first few deals trickle in.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@imseanavery: No SH$T #Spezza said NO to living in that dump city #Nashville

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@imseanavery: No SH$T #Spezza said NO to living in that dump city #Nashville

Is that a fake twitter handle? Nashville is widely regarded as one of the favo(u)rite cities for NHL players to visit.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that a fake twitter handle? Nashville is widely regarded as one of the favo(u)rite cities for NHL players to visit.

That seems to be the real handle

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C'mon dash, you can't really be surprised that Avery would say something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.