• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure that Engelland isn't any better than Huggy Bear was there.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait until Lowe introduces Brian Engblom as the newest Oilers defenceman tomorrow (hehe)

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course your goalie is always your biggest PK'er. But it helped that the team was facing 4 less shots per game the season before last.

I don't wanna beat a dead horse, I know there are guys who didn't see Reimer as the issue (myself included at one point) and made a good argument via his stats and the general direction of the team at this time last year that he needed better guys in front of him, not to be benched. I just watched too many games get away from him this year when he took the reins, and like I said before I don't think the guys in front of him play with the utmost confidence when he's backing them in net. You said that makes you blame the players not the goalie, and you have a valid argument, but I don't think that's a new issue that only the Leafs deal with; I would put teams like Pittsburgh and Vancouver as having had similar issues recently with a lack of confidence in a goalie that is prone to some pretty basic mistakes and that goalie's play affecting the rest of the team.

Can I ask, do you at least rate Bernier as a NHL starter given that it's almost certain now that Reimer won't be back?

I also think that when it comes to a narrative like "the team isn't confident and doesn't play well in front of him" that there's sometimes a simpler explanation. A lot of backup goalies (especially ones that are being treated like true backups) probably get a large percentage of their playing time in the second game of back to backs. Do you think that might have been part of what was affecting the team in front of him, rather than a lack of confidence in a guy who set the team single season SV% record and led them to the playoffs the previous year?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why players shouldn't have NTC's - look at the Kings, they don't have one player with an NTC/NMC - other teams have a wad of them

I believe Dustin Brown has one in his new deal, no?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CapGeek lists only Richards with the caveat that being traded already may have voided it.

I believe Brown's extension doesn't officially start until tomorrow.

edit: looked it up, it has a partial no-trade clause

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I guess baby dragon thought rat-boy could be salvaged. I'm glad he's not with the Flames though.

Edit: Of course, 12th pick overall would have been nice - I wonder if the Flames would have tried to make a trade and then just buyout rat-boy.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSNBobMcKenzie: T.J. Galiardi is not being qualified by CGY. He'll go to UFA.

Brandon Bollig can take T.J's place in the lineup...I think that's a nice upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.