• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 as a Package Deal/Where's the best place to land?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nowhere else makes sense, so they're kind of screwed unless they could convince two or four other teams to leave the SEC, ACC, Big Ten or PAC - which also seems unlikely.

The PAC and ACC are just too far away geographically. Going from TX/OK to Washington, Oregon, Syracuse or Boston? Heck, even going to Los Angeles and the Bay Area or the Carolinas and Virginia is enough of a slog. I know they're used to playing 11AM games but what about 10PM ones?

The SEC, is okay geographically, but probably would not want to add two powerful teams who now have greater access to the SE recruiting grounds. I can see the Vandy's and Mississippi's and South Carolina's voting against that. Maybe even the Bama's and Florida's wouldn't like it. As mentioned, it would probably involve putting Bama and Auburn into the East, plus you'd have Texas and A&M back in the same house - how would that go over in College Station?

The Big Ten makes sense geographically but like with A&M, how ironic would it be to re-unite Texas with Nebraska? Plus, I'm just not sure the B1G would even want them. Best to just go annex the New Mexico schools and call it a day

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nowhere else makes sense, so they're kind of screwed unless they could convince two or four other teams to leave the SEC, ACC, Big Ten or PAC - which also seems unlikely.

The PAC and ACC are just too far away geographically. Going from TX/OK to Washington, Oregon, Syracuse or Boston? Heck, even going to Los Angeles and the Bay Area or the Carolinas and Virginia is enough of a slog. I know they're used to playing 11AM games but what about 10PM ones?

The SEC, is okay geographically, but probably would not want to add two powerful teams who now have greater access to the SE recruiting grounds. I can see the Vandy's and Mississippi's and South Carolina's voting against that. Maybe even the Bama's and Florida's wouldn't like it. As mentioned, it would probably involve putting Bama and Auburn into the East, plus you'd have Texas and A&M back in the same house - how would that go over in College Station?

The Big Ten makes sense geographically but like with A&M, how ironic would it be to re-unite Texas with Nebraska? Plus, I'm just not sure the B1G would even want them. Best to just go annex the New Mexico schools and call it a day
Not that much of a distance when you're only playing two cross division schools a year (9 game conference schedule).

PAC-16

PAC West
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon St.
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

PAC East
Arizona St.
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Texas

9 game conference schedule

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that much of a distance when you're only playing two cross division schools a year (9 game conference schedule).

PAC-16

PAC West
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon St.
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

PAC East
Arizona St.
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Texas

I figured they would go to a 10-game schedule at that point

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree, I dont think either school or the Big12 is going anywhere. OU and Texas dont need to travel all over the country to make money/play for championships, they can do that and stay close to home and if they want to add a few more teams so we can go to divisions ect. Then they can do that by either raiding the weaker PAC in a few years or make a 5 minute phonecall to one of the attractive G5 schools.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that everyone says that nobody wants to put up with Texas, but make it a package deal with Oklahoma, and how could you turn that down if you were a Conference looking for your next TV deal.

If things start to realign it's best to weigh your options.

The #1 and #5 teams in total wins since WWII.
Built in Top 5 Rivalry, however you want to rank them.
National Brands
Huge built in audiences.

Where's the best place to go.
Where's the best money.
I vote the UK soccer league or Hell.

Take your pick.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, I dont think either school or the Big12 is going anywhere. OU and Texas dont need to travel all over the country to make money/play for championships, they can do that and stay close to home and if they want to add a few more teams so we can go to divisions ect. Then they can do that by either raiding the weaker PAC in a few years or make a 5 minute phonecall to one of the attractive G5 schools.
You think a PAC school would leave for the Big 12???? :pound::clap::pound:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC-16

PAC West
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon St.
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

PAC East
Arizona St.
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Texas

16 is such a hard number to work that it almost isn’t worth doing. Not to mention you give the East a huge advantage with TV game times.

Would not work.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, the Big12 could add USF and UCF and get a foothold
in Florida's recruiting grounds.

They could promise Florida recruits the opportunity to play at
least one game a year in their home state. No SEC team can
make that offer.

USF would come in with the 3rd largest stadium in the Big12
and UCF would come in drawing better than TCU, Baylor and
Kansas.

They would also add solid baseball programs to the Big12, to
compliment the league's already good baseball league.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought the PAC was the end game. That would be a very good conference. Texas, OU, USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. Having major cities from Seattle, LA, Denver, Dallas to Houston. PAC would have all the potential in the world. Only issue is it has been horribly managed. Get in a smart commisssioner and things would get interesting

LongTimeSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought the PAC was the end game. That would be a very good conference. Texas, OU, USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. Having major cities from Seattle, LA, Denver, Dallas to Houston. PAC would have all the potential in the world. Only issue is it has been horribly managed. Get in a smart commisssioner and things would get interesting
The PAC core is two time zones away from OU or Texas. Kickoffs at 9pm central? $2000 flights for away games? No thanks.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC core is two time zones away from OU or Texas. Kickoffs at 9pm central? $2000 flights for away games? No thanks.
You'd be missing out on away games @ Cal where the first 500 fans get a free antifa mask.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wild card in the Big XII is Oklahoma.

And what makes OU's future decisions difficult to predict is we just lost two Regents. They were both conservative white males who fit the stereotypical image of a good Regent. They didn't make waves, they preferred the status quo and they basically considered their marching orders to be whatever David Boren recommended. Now Boren is gone and OU's new President is a guy who has no track record dealing with serious athletic decisions. And to top it all off, Oklahoma has a brand new Governor (Kevin Stitt) who is nothing like the previous Governor (Mary Fallin) who was an idiot and was deeply unpopular in the state when she left office. Stitt announced this weekend he intends to make the OU Board of Regents more "diversified".

New OU President
New OU Regent #1
New OU Regent #2
New Oklahoma Governor

AD Joe Castiglione won't be at OU forever. What will HC Lincoln Riley do? Predicting what OU will do 3-5 years from is a heaving crap shoot.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should stay where they are, myself.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m having a hard time believing Texas wants to leave at this point. The conference is making money and 60% of the conference is in Texas or bordering Texas.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all boils down to OU and Texas being at the elite level like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State have been in recent years. OU has been very good, but not elite. Texas has been a dumpster fire by their standards but they look to be trending in the right direction since the Herman hire. If both get to where each SHOULD be (and I think the two young HC's will have em both there pretty soon) the Big 12 wont be going anywhere, other schools will be coming to the Big12 should the conference decide to expand for financial reasons and Texas & OU get to stay home and enjoy the money coming to them instead of the other way around.