• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Case in Favor of Holding on to Eric Bieniemy!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In recent news, there are speculations about Eric Bieniemy being a potential coaching candidate for the Atlanta Falcons. His first year as the Commander's offensive coordinator is coming to an end and there’s a good chance that it could be a one-and-done for Bieniemy in Washington. A poll taken earlier in the season on this board elicited this response from @Duke.

1704565543562.png

As promised this is my response to his inquiry, which I see as important to post now before any of the expected changes take place and we're facing the real possibility that this entire exercise becomes a moot point. It has been a very disappointing season for some, expected by others, and as such I only ask that readers do their very best to objectively look at this sans emotions. Let’s begin…

Eric Bieniemy has proven himself to be a valuable asset in the world of football, both as a player and a coach. Here are some reasons why he should continue as the offensive coordinator for the Washington Commanders or be considered for a head coach position:

Experience and Success:

Bieniemy has a wealth of experience in the NFL, both as a player and a coach. He has been part of two Super Bowl-winning teams as a coach, which speaks volumes about his understanding of the game and ability to strategize effectively. While there have been tons of speculative pieces on his actual role in Kansas City, what cannot be denied is that he was indeed a member of that successful team. In anticipation of those who will grant the “experience” but question his “success” let's take a look at what he was hired to do in Washington.
When the hire was announced, there followed much anticipation that EB would bring the dynamic Kansas City offense to Washington. Did he? In the following graphs, I direct you to two telling stats
Passing attempts and Rushing attempts.

Here are Washington's stats for the 2023 season:

1704566032464.png

...And here are Kansas City's stats for the 2023 season.

1704566164855.png

If you’ll note they are almost identical correct?

1. Washington had 608 passing attempts and 342 rushing attempts

VS

2. Kansas City had 605 passing attempts and 389 rushing attempts

So what does this mean? A fair assessment indicates that he did indeed bring that Kansas City/Andy Reid offense to D.C. and that its lack of success can be directly linked to the absence of high-end talent in the case of D.C. and the absence of Bieniemy himself and his no-nonsense, attention to detail, player accountability in the case of Kansas City. There's a popular saying where I come from that goes... "When you ask for something, don't be shocked when you get it!"

Player Development:

Throughout his coaching career, Bieniemy has shown a knack for developing players. His work with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he served as the offensive coordinator, was instrumental in the development of players like Patrick Mahomes. Well, Sty, if he was an integral part of developing Mahomes what happened with Sam Howell? A quick recap is in order here. Earlier in the season Howell became the talk of Commanders Nation as he displayed great promise as the possible future franchise QB of the team. As the season progressed and Howell began to struggle the Nation grumbled and in their collective frustration began pointing fingers at both Howell and Bieniemy as the offensive woes mounted. When asked about Howell’s continued struggles this was EB's response.

“He just didn’t play well, and unfortunately that happens. And it’s not like anything you can put your finger on,” Bieniemy said, via Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk. “But on the flip side of that, Jacoby (Brissett) steps in and he sparks a rally.”

(You can read the full article here in context…Eric Bieniemy has brutally honest quote about Sam Howell benching)​

At this point, there are two things to keep in mind:

• QB play
  • That 80-90% of team success is directly related to execution on the field, in real-time, regardless of the play called.
Could it be that Howell simply hit the high-expectation wall and couldn’t maintain it and that the failure of this offense is directly tied to people who are incapable of executing it effectively? Objective minds would say “Yes!”

Leadership
:

Bieniemy’s leadership skills are well-regarded in the NFL. He’s known for his ability to motivate his players and get the best out of them. This is a crucial quality for a head coach, as they need to be able to inspire their team and lead them to success. Have we seen an actual display of his leadership skills… absolutely!! During training camp, there were reports of disenchantment with his demanding approach to the game. I’d argue that when pitted against a more casual approach by their head coach and defensive coordinator, this caused a rift among players who ultimately took on the personality of their HC/DC than that of Bieniemy. The resulting argument for hiring Bieniemy as HC is rooted in a team-wide attitude change led by the coach himself.

Adaptability
:

In his role as the offensive coordinator for the Washington Commanders, Bieniemy has demonstrated his adaptability. Despite it being his first year with the team, he has managed to make a significant impact. This shows that he can adjust to new environments and bring about positive change. The counter-argument here is his reluctance to employ the run game more which is fair but not realistic given the personnel that he inherited and his approach to the game honed in Kansas City.

Ready for the Next Step
:

After successful stints as an offensive coordinator, Bieniemy might be ready for the next step in his career. The experience and skills he has gained make him a strong candidate for a head coach position. As mentioned earlier, Atlanta among others will be looking at him to fill head coaching vacancies.

In conclusion, Eric Bieniemy’s track record, leadership, and adaptability make him a strong candidate for continuing as an offensive coordinator or stepping up as a head coach. Whether it’s with the Washington Commanders or elsewhere, he has the potential to make a significant impact. Washington would do well to use its spotty history of allowing coaching talents to slip through their fingers and find success elsewhere but that would take a significant amount of past introspection from a group of new owners who’ve had no connection to that past.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McDonald gets the job, I'll be interested to see what happens to EB.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TL : DR

EB doesnt pass the eye test, thougn I sure as hell would be psyched to get two 3rd rounders out of him on somebody else’s dime.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TL : DR

EB doesnt pass the eye test, thougn I sure as hell would be psyched to get two 3rd rounders out of him on somebody else’s dime.
What factors do you use when employing the eye test?

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What factors do you use when employing the eye test?

Well, common sense would be a good start.

Common sense being something like employing more running plays when your qb is shitting the bed, and your running game is marginally successful.

Having the least amount of running plays in the NFL with a rookie qb is criminal.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are asking too much from Sam Howell , too soon . Part of coaching is seeing that and adjusting to it .

Mahomes is elite , Howell isn’t , the chiefs o/line is good , ours isn’t .

They have a great TE Kelcie , we have Logan Thomas

I think his offense can work and it has but a guy like Sam needs more time in the offense to run it well.