• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Prospectus is projecting the Rangers to go 84-78 and be a wildcard team. Of course that was before the Napoli move, but I doubt that would move us past Seattle in their eyes. They had Seattle winning 3 more games than us.

Prospectus projections short sell Texas Rangers again

A year ago, Baseball Prospectus predicted the Rangers to go 80-82 and finish third in the West based in the same PECOTA data, which stands for Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm. They predicted three of the six A.L. playoff teams correctly and all five in the N.L.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess... what i'm saying is that for this particular offseason, there was nothing to spend money on.
No, not coming from where we were coming from. There were several players who could have made nice additions to put us into the upper echelon if we had not been so far away from that level. Today's signing could have made a great final piece for a much better team. That is why this whole offseason has not been one of excitement for me. We have a long ways to go and one offseason wasn't going to help matters.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Odor's height........surely and inch or two can't make that much of a difference can it?

If Choo is in RF, then Mazara will be in left. Correct?

For me, I'm counting on Hamilton for 30 games or less..........Choo gets 100 games plus in RF. Do keep in mind that most of the time missed last year was due to a broken bone due to getting hit. This can happen to anyone........I'd much rather see what Robinson can offer as the "super utility player" than Profar.........I'm really hoping we can move Profar and get us a nice player in return. I wish this young man nothing but the best.......I'm very comfortable with Rua being the backup COF and part time 1st baseman.

As for the pitching......naw, maybe later....ha ha ha

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ending your quote of what I said in mid sentence removes any reasonable possibility. Without all of that sentence in place there is no good answer. That changes the meaning of what I said entirely.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ending your quote of what I said in mid sentence removes any reasonable possibility. Without all of that sentence in place there is no good answer. That changes the meaning of what I said entirely.

To me, there were no free agents that would have put the Rangers into the "upper echelon" no matter how close they were to it. In other words, I don't think there was a "good answer" out there, regardless of the current payroll/roster situation.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, there were no free agents that would have put the Rangers into the "upper echelon" no matter how close they were to it. In other words, I don't think there was a "good answer" out there, regardless of the current payroll/roster situation.
You are choosing to ignore reality then. If we had been just a 1B away from being in the upper echelon then Napoli himself would have been enough. There are quite a few free agents who would have done that for us had we been a player away. Your argument isn't thought out at all. You are better than that.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Prospectus is projecting the Rangers to go 84-78 and be a wildcard team. Of course that was before the Napoli move, but I doubt that would move us past Seattle in their eyes. They had Seattle winning 3 more games than us.

Prospectus projections short sell Texas Rangers again

A year ago, Baseball Prospectus predicted the Rangers to go 80-82 and finish third in the West based in the same PECOTA data, which stands for Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm. They predicted three of the six A.L. playoff teams correctly and all five in the N.L.

No one really thought Ian Desmond and Mazara would have the first half performance as they did. Well that's baseball for ya.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are choosing to ignore reality then. If we had been just a 1B away from being in the upper echelon then Napoli himself would have been enough. There are quite a few free agents who would have done that for us had we been a player away. Your argument isn't thought out at all. You are better than that.

Again, I ask:

Who?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one really thought Ian Desmond and Mazara would have the first half performance as they did. Well that's baseball for ya.
Yeah, last year's prognostication certainly was before those two were added and before the mid season trades. Of course, I don't think we were as good as our record last year as we saw in the postseason.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether we wait until the 14th to make the signing official or not there are a couple of pitchers on our 40-man roster who we shouldn't be afraid to lose to waivers if we had to go that route.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandler seems to think the Choo move to DH is a done deal, but he may be assuming too much.