• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli, 35, doesn't have to be a full-time first baseman. Either a restored Josh Hamilton or veteran James Loney can share some of the work, perhaps making everybody more effective.

No, they don't have an everyday left fielder, but they might have a three-headed monster to fill the position. With first base solved, they can move Ryan Rua and Jurickson Profar out of the mix there and into the left field picture. On the Ballzy podcast Tuesday, manager Jeff Banister acknowledged that a Rua-Profar platoon "wasn't ideal" for first base, but he suggested a possible three-way division of time that could address all the team's needs in left field.

The right-handed-hitting Rua could start vs. left-handers and the switch-hitting Profar, who is significantly better from the left side, could start against most right-handers. It also gives the Rangers the ability to work a slimmed down Delino De-Shields into a role as a late-game defensive role. While De-Shields' routes and weak arm weren't great fits for center field, his pure speed in left gives him an advantage over the other two. And arm strength is not as significant a factor in left as in center.

And finally it means the Rangers can prepare Shin-Soo Choo to get the majority of his at-bats as a DH. No, Choo doesn't want to do that, but after three soft-tissue injuries a year ago, the need to keep him healthy outweighs the desire to fill his wishes. I suspect Choo will still get some starts in the outfield, but the majority of his at-bats should come as the DH.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli will become the 5th player to play for the Rangers in three different stints.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli, 35, doesn't have to be a full-time first baseman. Either a restored Josh Hamilton or veteran James Loney can share some of the work, perhaps making everybody more effective.

No, they don't have an everyday left fielder, but they might have a three-headed monster to fill the position. With first base solved, they can move Ryan Rua and Jurickson Profar out of the mix there and into the left field picture. On the Ballzy podcast Tuesday, manager Jeff Banister acknowledged that a Rua-Profar platoon "wasn't ideal" for first base, but he suggested a possible three-way division of time that could address all the team's needs in left field.

The right-handed-hitting Rua could start vs. left-handers and the switch-hitting Profar, who is significantly better from the left side, could start against most right-handers. It also gives the Rangers the ability to work a slimmed down Delino De-Shields into a role as a late-game defensive role. While De-Shields' routes and weak arm weren't great fits for center field, his pure speed in left gives him an advantage over the other two. And arm strength is not as significant a factor in left as in center.

And finally it means the Rangers can prepare Shin-Soo Choo to get the majority of his at-bats as a DH. No, Choo doesn't want to do that, but after three soft-tissue injuries a year ago, the need to keep him healthy outweighs the desire to fill his wishes. I suspect Choo will still get some starts in the outfield, but the majority of his at-bats should come as the DH.
I would just as soon have Rua as DeShields for late inning defensive purposes. By the time he plays there 100 games I will probably feel the same way about Profar compared to DeShields.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Odor's height........surely and inch or two can't make that much of a difference can it?

If Choo is in RF, then Mazara will be in left. Correct?

For me, I'm counting on Hamilton for 30 games or less..........Choo gets 100 games plus in RF.
I am not a betting man, but if I were I might be willing to place a friendly wager that the difference in the number of games Josh plays compared to how many Choo plays in is less than 70. I am not sure how many each of them plays in, but I think the difference between the two is less than the 70 or more that you have indicated. Maybe when we make our predictions thread for 2017 we can use that as one of the things to predict--how many more games will Choo play in than Hamilton.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shin Soo Choo's Injury report from 2016

Date of Injury------- Injury-------------Games Missed

08/15/2016-------Fractured left forearm -------39

07/20/2016-------Lower back inflammation -------13

05/21/2016-------Strained left hamstring -------21

04/10/2016-------Strained right calf -------36

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shin Soo Choo's Injury report from 2016

Date of Injury------- Injury-------------Games Missed

08/15/2016-------Fractured left forearm -------39

07/20/2016-------Lower back inflammation -------13

05/21/2016-------Strained left hamstring -------21

04/10/2016-------Strained right calf -------36

I thought he'd missed more games, percentage wise, with the forearm than the other injures. But it's almost a 2 to 1 ratio. I stand corrected......damn if that ain't happening more and more.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question re: this site. Under "users who are viewing this thread" there is one user, which I'm assuming is me, and two quests. What's a guest?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question re: this site. Under "users who are viewing this thread" there is one user, which I'm assuming is me, and two quests. What's a guest?

So I believe people can come to SportsHoopla and view the threads and so forth without registering and becoming a member, therefore they are considered guests until they create an account and register and log in.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I believe people can come to SportsHoopla and view the threads and so forth without registering and becoming a member, therefore they are considered guests until they create an account and register and log in.

Thanks.....been wondering about this for some time now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers’ 2017 success or failure could depend on outfielders

The Texas Rangers’ 2017 fortunes, in a lot of ways, are in the hands of their outfielders.

Two of the three spots are already set in stone before position players report to spring training in Surprise, Ariz., on Feb. 21.

Center-fielder Carlos Gomez and corner outfielder Nomar Mazara return to starting roles. The third spot is Shin-Soo Choo’s to reclaim after he missed much of 2016 with a rash of injuries.

Choo expects to be back in right field on Opening Day. If he’s healthy — and he says he’s feeling great — he should round out the trio seeing most of the time in the outfield. However, the Rangers have suggested Choo could be used as a designated hitter a couple of games a week to help keep him healthy through a 162-game season. Choo has made it clear that playing the field had little to nothing to do with his injury issues. When asked last month whether he’d be open to DH from time to time, Choo made it clear he’d prefer it to be as rare as possible.

“I feel good. I’ve taken care of my body this whole off-season,” Choo said. “I’m getting tired of answering that question.”

The Rangers hope, of course, that a healthy Choo, who turns 35 in July, can return to the hitter he was in the second half of 2015. Realistically, that may be too much to ask at this point.

“Choo is a huge part of our success,” Manager Jeff Banister said. “We missed him every day last year. We were fortunate enough to have a young player that came up and performed extremely well for us in Nomar. He’s a quality player that is going to help us win a championship and we need him in the lineup and on the field on a consistent basis.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers top prospects: Cole Ragans is integral piece to Texas' plans for 'young pitching nucleus' | SportsDay

8. Cole Ragans, LHP
Opening day age: 19

Bats-throws: L/L

Last year's stats: 0-0 record (7.2 innings pitched), 4.70 ERA, 9 strikeouts, 6 walks, .344 opponent batting average

Accolades: Ragans was named an Under Armour All-American and the Big Bend Pitcher of the Year. ... The scouting report on MLB's website says Ragans' changeup has potential for development and that he is still growing into his body.

Hometown: Crawfordville, FL

Height-weight: 6-4, 190

Acquired: Selected with the 30th overall pick (first round) of the 2016 draft

Notable: After missing on right-hander Dillon Tate with the fourth overall pick in the 2015 draft, the Rangers took another pitcher with their first choice last year. Ragans, the 30th overall selection, came out of high school and therefore will need more development time. Ragans, 19, has a low-90 mph fastball with two promising secondary pitches: change-up and curveball. Ragans, at 6-foot-4, has a prototypical frame for a pitcher and a smooth delivery that suggests he has a better than average chance of avoiding injury.

The Rangers gave Ragans a post-draft break after a demanding high-school season, and he worked only eight innings in the rookie-level Arizona League. It might be a reach to put him in the Low-A South Atlantic League this season, but the Rangers are not shy when it comes to pushing players.

Ragans and right-hander Alex Speas, another high-school arm taken with the 63rd overall pick last year, are integral pieces of the "young pitching nucleus'" that general manager Jon Daniels sees as playing a significant role in the club's future. Ragans and Speas will push each other through the system.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers top prospects: Up-and-comer not named Joey Gallo who could be answer at first base one day | SportsDay

9. Ronald Guzman, 1B

Opening day age: 22

Bats-throws: L/L

Last year's stats: .274 avg., 16 HR, 67 RBI, .782 OPS; split time between Frisco (AA) and Round Rock (AAA)

Accolades: Selected to participate in the 2016 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game

Hometown: La Vega, Dominican Republic

Height-weight: 6-5, 205

Acquired: Signed as an international free agent on July 2, 2011 at 16 years old

Notable: The Rangers could still get a return on the $3.5-million signing bonus that they gave to a teen-aged Guzman in 2011. He had a career-best .477 slugging percentage for 375 at-bats at Double-A Frisco last season. Guzman, 22, had problems after a late-season promotion to the Triple-A Pacific Coast League and hit .216 with a .330 slugging percentage in 88 at-bats.

At 6-5, Guzman has a large strike zone to cover. There are holes in his swing, particularly with pitches in on the hands. He had 105 strikeouts with 30 walks in 511 overall plate appearances last season.

When the Rangers signed Guzman, they envisioned him as a gap-to-gap doubles hitter. He has added size and strength and may have slowed his progress by trying to be more of a home-run hitter. He had a career-high 16 homers last season. The question is whether he will hit enough homers to be a major league first baseman.

Guzman is a top-shelf defensive first baseman but does not run well.