• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them get another decent bat. I doubt it will happen tho
That's always nice but consider this: Napoli Beltre Gomez Choo Odor Lucroy. I like it.:thumb:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always nice but consider this: Napoli Beltre Gomez Choo Odor Lucroy. I like it.:thumb:

Choo had an injury ridden year last season and Gomez's batting average was abysmal before he came to the Rangers ( he did play well here in Texas). I'm not saying those guys suck, but just pointing out some red flags. Would be nice to add another middle tier quality bat to fortify things. I personally don't trust Choo to stay on the field at all. That guy is made out of glass.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo couldn't stay on the field last year and Gomez's batting average was abysmal before he came to the Rangers. I'm not saying those guys suck, but just pointing out some red flags. Would be nice to add another middle tier quality bat to fortify things. I personally don't trust Choo to stay on the field at all. That guy is made out of glass.

If JD could to do Choo and Prince over again......well

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If JD could to do Choo and Prince over again......well

Haha you responded before I could finish editing my initial post. I remember at the time, that I wanted the Rangers to pull the trigger on Fielder. Admittedly, I was never fond of Kinsler. The team wanted him to switch positions numerous times in order to accommodate other players, but he never even considered it. He should've at least tried to follow the example that Michael young set in putting the team first. The Fielder deal would've turned out good for both sides if Fielder wasn't damaged goods. We may never know if Dombrowski pulled a fast one, the Rangers screwed up in verifying that Fielder is healthy, or that neither team knew what was going on with Fielder.

As for Choo, I was never a big fan of the guy, I wasnt excited about getting him and how much we were paying him, but at the same time, I remember that the offseason in which we signed Choo was dreadfully slow before the deal with Choo was finalized. I wanted Justin upton, but I forgot the circumstances with him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo had an injury ridden year last season and Gomez's batting average was abysmal before he came to the Rangers ( he did play well here in Texas). I'm not saying those guys suck, but just pointing out some red flags. Would be nice to add another middle tier quality bat to fortify things. I personally don't trust Choo to stay on the field at all. That guy is made out of glass.
You're always negative. Did you ever think Choo might be healthy this year and since Gomez played well since he came to Texas that he may continue. No you haven't b/c that would be a positive thought beyond your comprehension.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're always negative. Did you ever think Choo might be healthy this year and since Gomez played well since he came to Texas that he may continue. No you haven't b/c that would be a positive thought beyond your comprehension.
Might also remember Darvish Colby Perez Holland Napoli Beltre. All had major injuries at one time or another and came back to play well. Happens every year all over the league. Just b/c Choo was hit by a pitch is no indication he won.t play well. If he can DH then Maz fill in at RF. More positive than negative.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you read what I said? Or do you need some help with reading comprehension? Look at my post again. I said that Gomez did a good job while he was here. With that said, when it's right before the beginning of a new season and you're trying to assess what kind of year that you think a guy on your team is going to have, you look at his entire body of work in the previous season and not just the last few months he spent playing for your team.

As for Choo, Yes. There is a level of frustration I have towards him. I thought his injury situation last year was poorly managed either by the Rangers medical staff or Choo himself. The guy tried to come back at least 5 times from his injury and reinjured himself in the very first game, then he ended up back on the DL again. The situation is unusual, there had to be some level of incompetence in how the situation was dealt with. Either the medical team rushed him back too many times or Choo mistakenly told the doctors "I'm ready" when in actuality he wasn't.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Choo, Yes. There is a level of frustration I have towards him. I thought his injury situation last year was poorly managed either by the Rangers medical staff or Choo himself. The guy tried to come back at least 5 times from his injury and reinjured himself in the very first game, then he ended up back on the DL again. The situation is unusual, there had to be some level of incompetence in how the situation was dealt with. Either the medical team rushed him back too many times or Choo mistakenly told the doctors "I'm ready" when in actuality he wasn't.

I'm kind of a fan of Choo. But I sincerely get where you're coming from.

And I seriously believe (like you do) that Choo's ankle injury which lead to his first 30+ game DL stay, lead to his hamstring injury which lead to his second trip on the DL for another 30+ games. Don't have anything concrete to base that on but it sure looked like this to me.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha you responded before I could finish editing my initial post. I remember at the time, that I wanted the Rangers to pull the trigger on Fielder. Admittedly, I was never fond of Kinsler. The team wanted him to switch positions numerous times in order to accommodate other players, but he never even considered it. He should've at least tried to follow the example that Michael young set in putting the team first. The Fielder deal would've turned out good for both sides if Fielder wasn't damaged goods. We may never know if Dombrowski pulled a fast one, the Rangers screwed up in verifying that Fielder is healthy, or that neither team knew what was going on with Fielder.

As for Choo, I was never a big fan of the guy, I wasnt excited about getting him and how much we were paying him, but at the same time, I remember that the offseason in which we signed Choo was dreadfully slow before the deal with Choo was finalized. I wanted Justin upton, but I forgot the circumstances with him.
That offseason was a good example of sometimes no moves being better than the wrong moves. That is hard to sell to the fans though. That year I was interested in Cruz, Napoli, Beltran, McCann and Abreu. I thought if we could sign 4 of those guys we could be a very good team and if we couldn't we might as well step back and retool and look forward to when Gallo, Brinson, Williams, Profar and Alfaro were ready along with some of our young pitching. JD decided to go in neither of those directions and I believe that was a mistake.

I would have much rather have traded Kinsler for prospects. Fielder was expected by many to be near the end based on his father's example(body size) and his reduced bat speed.

Last edited:

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read what I said? Or do you need some help with reading comprehension? Look at my post again. I said that Gomez did a good job while he was here. With that said, when it's right before the beginning of a new season and you're trying to assess what kind of year that you think a guy on your team is going to have, you look at his entire body of work in the previous season and not just the last few months he spent playing for your team.

There is something to be said for evaluating Gomez' season the same as we have evaluated Desmond's season. Neither really performed long enough to determine what they can do this season.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban left hander Osvaldo Hernandez has been declared a free agent. The Rangers are one of the teams interested.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish I was a little more optimistic about this season.

Still early for any absolute forecasting IMO. I think SP and who we picked up will be a big factor in team's performance. We need a #4SP quality out of Cashner and a lot of innings eaten. If Ross is near where he was it would be huge for us come October.

We have a glut of RHRPs so a trade is still not out of the question. Just not trying to stress to early about Rangers BB

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban left hander Osvaldo Hernandez has been declared a free agent. The Rangers are one of the teams interested.

We will keep a watchful eye

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still early for any absolute forecasting IMO. I think SP and who we picked up will be a big factor in team's performance. We need a #4SP quality out of Cashner and a lot of innings eaten. If Ross is near where he was it would be huge for us come October.

We have a glut of RHRPs so a trade is still not out of the question. Just not trying to stress to early about Rangers BB

Oh I'm not throwing in the towel. Just entering the season more speculative than anything.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the season should be a competitive one in our division. No one is going to run away with it. Let's bring it on! Keep an eye on our minor league system too this go around.

Man, Murph, those Stars. Stick a fork in 'em.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the season should be a competitive one in our division. No one is going to run away with it. Let's bring it on! Keep an eye on our minor league system too this go around.

Man, Murph, those Stars. Stick a fork in 'em.

Terrible performance in the 2nd and 3rd period tonight. They should be ashamed