• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots could target this forgotten QB prospect from 2021 class​

by Jerry Trotta1 minute ago Follow @JTrotta24

The New England Patriots will face a ton of pressure this offseason as it pertains to fixing their quarterback situation after Cam Newton proved unfit for the challenge. There were obviously underlying circumstances that contributed to his demise, for lack of a better term, but most fans would agree that his performance didn’t warrant another contract.

If the Patriots choose not to trade for a veteran, they could easily turn to the draft, which is littered with intriguing prospects. When it comes to drafting a QB, analysts have pointed to Alabama star Mac Jones as a potential option with the No. 15 overall pick.

Given his collegiate roots and that his intangibles align with what the team normally wants in a quarterback, it’s easy to see why Jones to the Patriots is gaining serious steam. However, we wouldn’t rule out the possibility of them targeting forgotten Georgia stud Jamie Newman, who opted out of 2020 due to concerns about playing amid the global pandemic.

Don’t sleep on Jamie Newman as a potential draft target for the Patriots.​

Newman, who transferred from Wake Forest to Georgia but opted out before ever playing a snap for the Bulldogs, confirmed with the reporters that he had a formal meeting with the Patriots this week and spoke highly of the franchise. He also provided some context on his polarizing decision to sit out the 2020 season after his blockbuster move to Athens.

“I met with them, had a great interview,” said Newman. “I was just being myself and they asked some really good questions. I like that organization a lot.
“I got that all 32 interviews, ‘Why’d I opt out?’ It was just a collective thing of Covid that hit differently for me and my family. Unfortunately, I had a family member that was affected by Covid, so that’s what went into my decision.”
Like most prospects who chose to opt out and focus on preparing or the draft, Newman’s stock has taken a hit and he is no longer viewed as a Day 1 selection. Given what he showcased over three years at Wake Forest, however, he could prove to be a steal in the middle rounds.

At 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, Newman’s built like an olympian and has the required athleticism to be successful in today’s NFL. There are questions about his mechanics and decisiveness, but that could be rectified with a little coaching. Who better to embrace that challenge than Bill Belichick?

As a junior in 2019, he completed 60.9% of his passes for 3,959 yards and 26 touchdowns to 11 interceptions — equating to a 145.3 passer rating. He added 574 yards and six scores with his legs, proving that he can take off and run in a collapsing pocket when his receivers are blanketed. Those numbers (and his imposing body frame) speak for themselves, folks.

We’re not saying that Newman to the Patriots is a lock, but while everybody is raving about Jones, keep the Georgia transfer in mind as a potential Day 2 option if the Alabama product is taken or the front office simply falls in love with another prospect at No. 15 overall.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I love about the NFL off season is the way that team comes out of nowhere and catches everyone totally by surprise.

The Los Angeles rams and Detroit lions are in extremely serious talks. The Rams want to move on from Jared Goff and they're willing to eat a $22.2M dead money hit to get it done. Right now the Rams and Lions will swap quarterbacks, but the Rams don't have a 2021 first round pick to sweeten the deal. So of course, the Lions might be asking for Aaron Donald which would mean that the rams would be looking at getting draft picks and/or players.

Either way, the price has been set and the patriots don't have the trade pieces. Watson is ridiculous so at least we guys in this forum can stop thinking about Stafford or Watson and watch the Jets and Dolphins muddy the water for Watson and see if the 49ers decide to throw their hat into the ring against the Rams.

Odd isn't it? Three years ago Jared Goff was in the Super Bowls against the patriots and was being lauded as the next great young QB, just like Josh Allen has been in 2020. It just goes to show that a good year in the NFL does not extrapolate into a quarterback being the next great ONE.

Back to arguing about who the next Patriots game manager will be.
Do you like daytime soaps and the WWE too?

There is just so much bullshit that it destroys the intrigue of the real deals.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave too much to get Goff.
They paid to much to resign him.
Now they want to pay too much to get rid of him?
It seems they paid him all that money to make him think he was good, but thinking and being aren't the same. In the scheme of football (not life) Goff is a head case and though there's a lot of talent there, they can't get him out of his head with the money and saying "atta boy".

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These three big offseason additions could help the New England Patriots turn things around.​

ZACH ERTZ
TE Philadelphia Eagles
Philadelphia Eagles

How the mighty have fallen. Ertz was, at one time, challenging the likes of Travis Kelce and George Kittle for the mythical title of best tight end in football, as he made three straight Pro Bowls while setting the record for catches in a single season by a tight end. However, due to injuries, Carson Wentz’s regression, and the emergence of Dallas Goedert, Ertz’s production went into a complete tailspin; he caught just 36 passes and scored just one touchdown this past year.

He couldn’t have picked a worse time to lay an egg, as he did so right before he was scheduled to hit the open market after a brief dust-up with management. According to those in the know, he’ll likely be traded this offseason, and will be outright cut if the Eagles can’t find a match. If the Patriots want to take on another rehabilitation project, they should absolutely be in on Ertz to help improve their skill-position talent.

While the Patriots used two Day 3 picks on tight ends in UCLA’s Devin Asiasi and Virginia Tech’s Dalton Keene in 2020, neither of them should exclude the Patriots from the Ertz sweepstakes. While the tight ends were invisible last year, Josh McDaniels clearly can feature a tight end as the No. 1 option in the passing game given how dominant he helped make Rob Gronkowski. No matter who is under center, they need some reliable targets to throw to, and Ertz could help the passing game take off.

Allen Robinson, Bears

ALLEN ROBINSON
WR Chicago Bears
Chicago Bears

Robinson might be the single most underrated player in the NFL.

After coming into the league with the Jacksonville Jaguars, a situation that saw him saddled with quarterbacks like Blake Bortles in his formative seasons, Robinson made the trip to Chicago, where the Bears underutilized his potential by having Mitch Trubisky and Nick Foles as their starting quarterbacks. Robinson, about to be a free agent after some contentious negotiations with the Bears, should eye a team with the potential to gas up his stats and win some games, a situation that he could find in New England.

While Robinson caught 200 passes over the last two years, his 7.7 career yards per target speaks to the fact that he is not being used as a vertical weapon in Chicago’s offense. In need of a field-stretcher and a physical red-zone presence, New England can kill two birds with one stone and fix their lack of depth.

Robinson might be turned off by New England if they don’t provide him with a quarterback that he believes in, but the Patriots could solve their offensive woes by upgrading over Cam Newton under center and luring a player of Robinson’s caliber. Buffalo adding Stefon Diggs shows how much impact a star receiver can have, and Robinson could end up in New England if they invest in the quarterback position.

3.................................................................MATTHEW STAFFORD

Forget this one...........................The cost and pain in the ass isn't worth it.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you like daytime soaps and the WWE too?
Apparently you do. I have no idea why it is that you so enjoy taking shots at me.

I guess I have to speak to you like I do my grandchildren.

"If you don't have something constructive or nice to say about someone, don't say anything. People think more positively about you when you're positive. When you say negative things, you appear jealous of the other person's knowledge.""

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you do. I have no idea why it is that you so enjoy taking shots at me.

"If you don't have something constructive or nice to say about someone, don't say anything. People think more positively about you when you're positive. When you say negative things, you appear jealous of the other person's knowledge.""
It wasn't a shot at you. It was a rhetorical statement taking a shot at the drama created by all the false rumors which distract from the the ones with merit. I don't disagree there could be room to interpret it as directed toward you, but it wasn't.

Why does everything have to be about you? Most of the rhetorical stuff I write humors others... I don't think I'm the funniest guy here or that absolutely everyone laughs at everything I write something., but I get a lot of encouragement to continue posting as I do. But first and foremost, I just write a response with what is entertaining to me at that moment.

If you think you get a disproportionate amount of my rhetoric it's mostly because you post more content than almost anyone else... And I have never criticized you for that, asked you to stop, or otherwise indicated you should stop with the "you being you". My direct comments to you more often have commended you regarding your service to the youth and your family as well as some good personal endeavors you have shared.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now let me share something that I will share with my grandchildren "If you don't want any criticism in life keep your mouth shut at all times and never take a risk in life. I've always spoken my mind and taken risks doing so... those risks are you will have to accept a lot of criticism, most of which will be unwarranted, and learn from the criticism that isn't."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
t wasn't a shot at you. It was a rhetorical statement taking a shot at the drama created by all the false rumors which distract from the the ones with merit. I don't disagree there could be room to interpret it as directed toward you, but it wasn't.
It was shot at me. You directly asked me if I watched soaps or WWE. It was not rhetorical. You spoke directly to me in response directly to a my post.

Rhetoric is an adjective intended to persuade or impress, it's not humor. Sorry, direct from Websters.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was shot at me. You directly asked me if I watched soaps or WWE. It was not rhetorical. You spoke directly to me in response directly to a my post.

Rhetoric is an adjective intended to persuade or impress, it's not humor. Sorry, direct from Websters.
Was that a rhetorical statement?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your interpretation is wrong. The asking if you watched soaps or WWE was the rhetorical part. A rhetorical question is a question asked with out intending for it to be answered. In essence it isn't a question but a statement and that statement is that all the fake rumors is just manufacturing drama the way the WWE or soaps manufacture the drama.

What is the shot at you? Accusing you of liking the WWE? Lets say you actually like the WWE. Does that lessen you somehow? So I ask again. where is the shot at YOU?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Stafford is off the board.... And rumors are the Patriots are going to make some big splashes this year so I could see Ertz and Robinson

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring on Fitz and a QB from the draft.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring on Fitz and a QB from the draft.
no doubt BB aint paying this

Rams acquired QB Matthew Stafford from the Lions in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick, and QB Jared Goff.​

First-round picks remain purely theoretical in Sean McVay's Los Angeles. One of the biggest NFL trades in years is also one of the most complex. Stafford's cap number and dead money is one thing. Goff's is an entirely different dimension. McVay could no longer hide his disdain for Goff and his inability to generate instant offense, and he gets a quarterback in Stafford who has never hesitated to go big-play hunting. He has also gotten more efficient and less turnover prone over as he's aged, though his nearly decade-long iron man streak was interrupted in 2019 by a broken back before he played through a number of issues in 2020. Stafford has always seemed capable of something more. Now we will finally get to find out as he teams up with one of the brightest offensive minds in the league. A 2020 fantasy disappointment, Stafford inherits an intriguing Rams skill corps led by YAC monsters Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles rams and Detroit lions are in extremely serious talks. The Rams want to move on from Jared Goff and they're willing to eat a $22.2M dead money hit to get it done. Right now the Rams and Lions will swap quarterbacks, but the Rams don't have a 2021 first round pick to sweeten the deal. So of course, the Lions might be asking for Aaron Donald which would mean that the rams would be looking at getting draft picks and/or players.
I told you it was serious. I understand that nine other teams called when they heard how this deal was closing quickly and the Rams were so disappointed with Goff's playoff performances that they appeared to be willing to do anything. The Rams refused to give up Donald but the price was excessive when you give up a 26 year old QB that's played in the Super Bowl, a second round and two first round picks all fora 33 year old QB with zero playoff experience and has never been on a winning team. Just my opinion but the Rams were in a panic and way overpaid foran unknown commodity.

Have you ever smelled terror? The human body excretes a hormone when it reaches a certain level of fear. I've smelled it in war and I smelled it this morning. I came on a wind from the southwest blowing northeast. There was also the odor of New Jersey with it. My senses are telling me that panic is setting into the New York Jets front office and they are about to blow away the Houston Texans for Deshaun Watson. Egos are getting out of control and the absolute last thing that Woody Johnson will stand for is allowing the Miami Dolphins to get Watson when the jets have all of the ammo needed to land him. The Jets will get Watson and the Texans will get Darnold, #2 and #23 in 2021, #1 in 2022 and 2023.

The entire draft scenario in April will be changed. Houston will be sitting at #2 and they will have a young starter and won't be chasing Wilson or Fields. They most likely will wait to see who's available at #23. Caserio will grab a DL because JJ is nearing the end. Miami won't take a QB with #3, they'll take Devonae Smith and give Tua a familiar target. Atlanta at #4 is looking to deal Matt Ryan to the 49ers and will probably get the 49ers #12 and Jimmy Garropolo who they will then trade to the NE Patriots for NE's second round pick. and they will draft Zach Wilson. If these pieces all fall into place then the Patriots will draft Mivah Parson LB Penn State and then draft Jhamon Ausbon WR Texas 6'3" 218 with the first Compensatory in Round 3 and then take QB Felipe Franks Arkansas 6'4" 223.

All the pieces are falling into place and the Patriots just have to sit back and not do anything but wait.

ANotherthing, nothing is official until March 17, 2021 when the 2021 NFL season begins.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams acquired QB Matthew Stafford from the Lions in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick, and QB Jared Goff.
What? No bags of balls lying around?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you it was serious. I understand that nine other teams called when they heard how this deal was closing quickly and the Rams were so disappointed with Goff's playoff performances that they appeared to be willing to do anything. The Rams refused to give up Donald but the price was excessive when you give up a 26 year old QB that's played in the Super Bowl, a second round and two first round picks all fora 33 year old QB with zero playoff experience and has never been on a winning team. Just my opinion but the Rams were in a panic and way overpaid foran unknown commodity.

Have you ever smelled terror? The human body excretes a hormone when it reaches a certain level of fear. I've smelled it in war and I smelled it this morning. I came on a wind from the southwest blowing northeast. There was also the odor of New Jersey with it. My senses are telling me that panic is setting into the New York Jets front office and they are about to blow away the Houston Texans for Deshaun Watson. Egos are getting out of control and the absolute last thing that Woody Johnson will stand for is allowing the Miami Dolphins to get Watson when the jets have all of the ammo needed to land him. The Jets will get Watson and the Texans will get Darnold, #2 and #23 in 2021, #1 in 2022 and 2023.

The entire draft scenario in April will be changed. Houston will be sitting at #2 and they will have a young starter and won't be chasing Wilson or Fields. They most likely will wait to see who's available at #23. Caserio will grab a DL because JJ is nearing the end. Miami won't take a QB with #3, they'll take Devonae Smith and give Tua a familiar target. Atlanta at #4 is looking to deal Matt Ryan to the 49ers and will probably get the 49ers #12 and Jimmy Garropolo who they will then trade to the NE Patriots for NE's second round pick. and they will draft Zach Wilson. If these pieces all fall into place then the Patriots will draft Mivah Parson LB Penn State and then draft Jhamon Ausbon WR Texas 6'3" 218 with the first Compensatory in Round 3 and then take QB Felipe Franks Arkansas 6'4" 223.

All the pieces are falling into place and the Patriots just have to sit back and not do anything but wait.

ANotherthing, nothing is official until March 17, 2021 when the 2021 NFL season begins.
There's no question at this point that the deal was real but most are not. Personally this deal doesn't move me. It was well known the Rams were not satisfied with Goff's ability to correct his mistakes and Stafford just wanted O-U-T out of Detroit. The fact that each was resolved in one trade and that Goff was pretty much a "throw-in" isn't shocking at all.