• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More MLB Rumors. Nothing to get too excited about.

The Giants are trying to trade infielder Jeff Keppinger, outfielder Andres Torres, and reliever Ramon Ramirez, tweets Danny Knobler of CBS Sports. They're planning to keep lefty Jeremy Affeldt. ESPN's Buster Olney says there's a strong feeling by other teams Torres will be non-tendered. If so, the Giants may not be able to get much for him. Torres was the second-most valuable center fielder in baseball in 2010, based on FanGraphs' wins above replacement.

Keppinger, Torres, and Ramirez are all arbitration eligible, and MLBTR projects salaries in the $2.3-2.7MM range for each.

I wonder why they're so quick to cut ties with RamRam?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was thinking the same thing.

Let Hembree/another ute take the job, and save a few million?

BTW: you gotta figure Kepp makes a lot more than 2.7 next year, given the crazy salaries for middle infielders being thrown these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing.

Let Hembree/another ute take the job, and save a few million?

BTW: you gotta figure Kepp makes a lot more than 2.7 next year, given the crazy salaries for middle infielders being thrown these days.

Estimates I'm reading (assuming he's non-tendered) are 2/6.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it came down to keeping either Ramirez or Keppinger I'd hope they keep Ramirez. Sabean said his top priority was keeping the pitching staff together, I'm not sure I (want to) believe this particular rumor.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it came down to keeping either Ramirez or Keppinger I'd hope they keep Ramirez. Sabean said his top priority was keeping the pitching staff together, I'm not sure I (want to) believe this particular rumor.

I don't think it will come down to one or the other. Kepp will not be a Giant in 2012...he doesn't fit a need. He can't backup SS and he's got no range at 2B. We've got Fonty, who we can offer a $1.5MM take it or get non-tendered deal, and Burriss will probably clear waivers. Or, we could sign a veteran FA to a one year deal.

Kepp will probably get 2 years/6M from someone, it just won't be us.

RamRam is more puzzling to me. Either they figure he's smoke and mirrors or we have equivalent arms in the minors.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will come down to one or the other. Kepp will not be a Giant in 2012...he doesn't fit a need. He can't backup SS and he's got no range at 2B. We've got Fonty, who we can offer a $1.5MM take it or get non-tendered deal, and Burriss will probably clear waivers. Or, we could sign a veteran FA to a one year deal.

Kepp will probably get 2 years/6M from someone, it just won't be us.

RamRam is more puzzling to me. Either they figure he's smoke and mirrors or we have equivalent arms in the minors.

I agree about Keppinger, I am fond of a dude who hits .280-.300 and plays decent D, but he doesn't fit our needs right now.

Not a huge fan of Fontenot, but he's pretty cheap.

I don't know how they figure he isn't for real he's been doing it since 2006... and I wouldn't bet on finding a minor league pitcher who can come out the gate and match Ramirea' production.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude....you definitely win. My wife isn't even familiar with the sport...she hails from north of the border, eh?

She loves NBA hoops though. I suspect it has something to do with highly conditioned male athletes running around in shorts....

What, the Panda in tight pants doesn't do it for her?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember how shitty Ramram was in late August and September? Like multiple blown leads/ties and an 8+ ERA bad?

Not that this is enough reason but it doesn't help.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember how shitty Ramram was in late August and September? Like multiple blown leads/ties and an 8+ ERA bad?

Not that this is enough reason but it doesn't help.

I remember him finishing strong actually...

Sept: 11.0 ip 6 h 1 er 4 bb 13 k 1-0 1 sv 0.82 era

He had 3 bad outings in August but over his whole career that's nothing. Meh. They should resign him damnit.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the White Sox just traded their young hotshot closer with a very club friendly contract for a AA pitching stud and the GM said they are officially rebuilding, so maybe Alexei Ramirez is available at short?

He's young and cheap too so it'd probably take a lot to get him: Belt, Crawford, a pitcher like Crick or Hembree or Edlefsen or Surkamp?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember him finishing strong actually...

Sept: 11.0 ip 6 h 1 er 4 bb 13 k 1-0 1 sv 0.82 era

He had 3 bad outings in August but over his whole career that's nothing. Meh. They should resign him damnit.

You're right it was August. Still, he cost us some critical games when we still had hope. I do agree he's got a whole solid career though.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the White Sox just traded their young hotshot closer with a very club friendly contract for a AA pitching stud and the GM said they are officially rebuilding, so maybe Alexei Ramirez is available at short?

He's young and cheap too so it'd probably take a lot to get him: Belt, Crawford, a pitcher like Crick or Hembree or Edlefsen or Surkamp?

I saw that trade and thought of you. I also noticed that they're shopping Carlos Quentin and figured that would fit a SabeySabes Beltran Back-Up Plan Model. So many more options out there than I thought there would be at the beginning of this off-season. I'm not exactly in favor of all of them, but it's good for bargaining, nonetheless. The last thing we want is CarBel thinking he holds all of the cards.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that trade and thought of you. I also noticed that they're shopping Carlos Quentin and figured that would fit a SabeySabes Beltran Back-Up Plan Model. So many more options out there than I thought there would be at the beginning of this off-season. I'm not exactly in favor of all of them, but it's good for bargaining, nonetheless. The last thing we want is CarBel thinking he holds all of the cards.

I knew Quentin was being shopped already, but didn't think they'd go full rebuild.

My vestigial fandom there is happy, once Rios and Dunn are off the books they can compete again, they should rebuild now.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew Quentin was being shopped already, but didn't think they'd go full rebuild.

My vestigial fandom there is happy, once Rios and Dunn are off the books they can compete again, they should rebuild now.

Plus, that division is so wide open that a young team can easily compete for 3/4 of the games a la the Pirates (in the other Central Division, though 3/4 is probably too kind) last year. That can be more exciting than rooting for a team that you expect to make the playoffs, but not make it to the Series. Obviously, the last couple champions have more than proved that anything can happen if you just make it, but there is something to be said for sticking with a team through a rough rebuilding process (or 8).

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, that division is so wide open that a young team can easily compete for 3/4 of the games a la the Pirates (in the other Central Division, though 3/4 is probably too kind) last year. That can be more exciting than rooting for a team that you expect to make the playoffs, but not make it to the Series. Obviously, the last couple champions have more than proved that anything can happen if you just make it, but there is something to be said for sticking with a team through a rough rebuilding process (or 8).

Agreed, but I'm just kinda sorta interested, mainly via my dad. I'm a Giants fan now. I'm happy when they do well but it's not the same obsessiveness.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
angel pagan to giants for torres and ramirez

Pagan went from a +2.2 dWAR in 2010 to a -1.7 dWAR in 2011.

What the hell happened?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the new moves here's what we look like:

Pagan CF
Franchez 2B
Panda 3B
Posey C
Huff LF
Belt 1B
Nate RF
Craw SS

SPs we all know

BP Wilson, Romo, Affeldt, Casilla, Lopez, Edlefsen

Bench Cabrera, Pill, Stewart or Sanchez, AGonz?, Burriss, Kepp/Fonty

Vs lefties guys like Pill and Cabrera probably start.
Only problem with the lineup is 4 lefties in a row 5-8. But not sure how to break them up.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the new moves here's what we look like:

Pagan CF
Franchez 2B
Panda 3B
Posey C
Huff LF
Belt 1B
Nate RF
Craw SS

SPs we all know

BP Wilson, Romo, Affeldt, Casilla, Lopez, Edlefsen

Bench Cabrera, Pill, Stewart or Sanchez, AGonz?, Burriss, Kepp/Fonty

Vs lefties guys like Pill and Cabrera probably start.
Only problem with the lineup is 4 lefties in a row 5-8. But not sure how to break them up.

I don't think Melky is going to sit in favor of Pagan. More like this:

Melky CF
Franchez 2B
Panda 3B
Buster C
Huff LF
Belt 1B
Nate RF
Stamos SS

Bench: Stewy, Pill, Fonty, Pagan, Christian/Peggy

Timmy 1
Cainer 2