• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so how does everyone feel about Thome returning to the phagnatics?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a PH extraordinaire. Not worried at all. They wasted a roster spot on a guy who cannot/won't field.

He is a damn good ph though. I'm just thinking his impact will be minimal.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard somewhere(forget where) he could fill in for howard if his recovery takes longer. but i remember thome refused to play the field when he was traded to LA. wondering if hes going to be 2012's lance berkman.

also, on mlb networks ticker they said phillies reached an agreement with of/1b jim thome. the thought of him in the outfield cracked me up.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard somewhere(forget where) he could fill in for howard if his recovery takes longer. but i remember thome refused to play the field when he was traded to LA. wondering if hes going to be 2012's lance berkman.

also, on mlb networks ticker they said phillies reached an agreement with of/1b jim thome. the thought of him in the outfield cracked me up.

Exactly. As we just saw, Berkman can still at least kinda play the OF. I'd rather have Willie Mays play in the field than Thome. Not Mays from the 50s. Mays today.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. As we just saw, Berkman can still at least kinda play the OF. I'd rather have Willie Mays play in the field than Thome. Not Mays from the 50s. Mays today.

Can Barry Bonds play 2B?

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thome hasn't donned a glove since 2007 if what I read on Espn is true. He's 41 years old, and I bet he spends some time on the DL due to back issues...even if all he does is pinch hit and DH in interleague....

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sort of like the idea of Huffer playing the OF? :shocked:

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of like the idea of Huffer playing the OF? :shocked:

i kinda cut Huff some slack this year when he was thrown into the outfield. i mean, its not like he had much time to prepare for it. wasnt the decision to have Belt start the season on the roster made on the last day of spring training?

and Thome would make Huff look like hes got Rickey Henderson speed.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What teams do you think would realistically be in on Sanchez? I'd imagine it would have to be some fringe contender that has a decent chunk of change and knows that they'd have to take medium risk-high reward moves like this to compete next season. Maybe Cleveland or a sleeper could be the Nats.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What teams do you think would realistically be in on Sanchez? I'd imagine it would have to be some fringe contender that has a decent chunk of change and knows that they'd have to take medium risk-high reward moves like this to compete next season. Maybe Cleveland or a sleeper could be the Nats.

That sounds about right. And I would imagine that fringe contender would send our way some talented but unproven and/or flawed hitters.

With nobody in the minors ready to take that 5th spot, I doubt a trade will emerge that will make much sense.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I could see Tampa, Boston and New York in on the Sanchez bidding as well. Remember that after CC, the Spankees have one of the shittiest rotations in the game. Sanchez may not be an ace, but he is better than Fatolo Colon or Freddy Garcia and a lot more consistent than Ivan Nova. He's got more control than AJ Burnett.

Tampa has a solid rotation but there have been rumors that they are looking to deal Shields for more bats and they could obviously use another left-handed starter besides Price.

The Red Sux have Beckett, Lester, and ... and .... and ... some 45-year-old knuckleballer. That rotation sucks ass after the top 2. They need pitching.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Tampa, Boston and New York in on the Sanchez bidding as well. Remember that after CC, the Spankees have one of the shittiest rotations in the game. Sanchez may not be an ace, but he is better than Fatolo Colon or Freddy Garcia and a lot more consistent than Ivan Nova. He's got more control than AJ Burnett.

Tampa has a solid rotation but there have been rumors that they are looking to deal Shields for more bats and they could obviously use another left-handed starter besides Price.

The Red Sux have Beckett, Lester, and ... and .... and ... some 45-year-old knuckleballer. That rotation sucks ass after the top 2. They need pitching.

In a computer simulation game, NY and Bos are good destinations for Durty. However, in the real world, he would be eaten alive in those markets, so I doubt either team would touch him with a 10 ft pole.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phils sign Papeldick too. 4 years $50million.

I think Heath Bell would have been better personally.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phils sign Papeldick too. 4 years $50million.

I think Heath Bell would have been better personally.

The report was Ryan Madson was offered 4 years at $44 million, but he and his agent (Bor-asssss) got greedy and insisted on a 5 year $57 million vesting deal. Phils signed Pap several days later.

Seems like a lot to pay for a closer.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSaboteur

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Papelbon inspires the Phillies to a few Red Sox style collapses over the coming years.