• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Giants minor leaguers moving on to other orgs:

A couple of former Giants just signed elsewhere as six-year minor league free agents. Left-hander Alex Hinshaw signed with the San Diego Padres organization while infielder Sharlon Schoop, once a pretty good prospect, signed with the Kansas City Royals. And if you are the proud owner of a Luis Perdomo Giants jersey, know that he’s with the Minnesota Twins now.

Always liked Hinshaw...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Giants minor leaguers moving on to other orgs:

A couple of former Giants just signed elsewhere as six-year minor league free agents. Left-hander Alex Hinshaw signed with the San Diego Padres organization while infielder Sharlon Schoop, once a pretty good prospect, signed with the Kansas City Royals. And if you are the proud owner of a Luis Perdomo Giants jersey, know that he’s with the Minnesota Twins now.

Always liked Hinshaw...

One of the guys I work with played college ball with Alex Hinshaw. Said he had all the talent in the world but was a nut job. Said there just wasn't something right up there between the ears.

Good luck to straight brim Hinshaw.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the guys I work with played college ball with Alex Hinshaw. Said he had all the talent in the world but was a nut job. Said there just wasn't something right up there between the ears.

Good luck to straight brim Hinshaw.

And with this post filo's post count EXACTLY equals his rep count of 6625

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with this post filo's post count EXACTLY equals his rep count of 6625

I noticed that, too, but feared a response that would ruin the symmetry. Yet another aspect of filo's posting style that mirrors Elizabeth Taylor's face.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that, too, but feared a response that would ruin the symmetry. Yet another aspect of filo's posting style that mirrors Elizabeth Taylor's face.

I haven't the faintest idea of what this means.

:nonod:

:confused:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either. I just remember reading that Young Liz is regarded as having a perfectly symmetrical face. :shocked:

I thought it meant something along the lines as having the same number of husbands as years on Earth...

Guess I was wrong.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it meant something along the lines as having the same number of husbands as years on Earth...

Guess I was wrong.

My incoherent ramblings are always up for interpretation. I knew someone on this board would come up with a funnier and more relevant reasoning for my work-addled post. Man, am I glad it's the weekend. Have a good one, fellas! :blah:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either. I just remember reading that Young Liz is regarded as having a perfectly symmetrical face. :shocked:

Young Liz was perfect in many ways.

a6042b6fa2cf3e72278c12b887314484.jpg

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blecch! :thumbsdown:

This would be classic Old Sabean, signing a declining old dude because he's cheap and available: see Tejada, Hillenbrand, many others too countless and painful to remember.

I hope the tire kicking on these mopes is a smokescreen vis a vis Beltran but I'm not holding my breath.

Not even tzill would be a fan of picking this guy up.

I'm not thrilled at the idea, but I'm rather tired of the "classic Sabean" comments. Nobody said that about PTB, for instance. If it works out, SabeySabes is a brilliant evaluator of talent; if it doesn't, he's "classic Old Sabean." As long as we avoid the RoRo contracts, I'm OK with SabeySabes calling the shots.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not thrilled at the idea, but I'm rather tired of the "classic Sabean" comments. Nobody said that about PTB, for instance. If it works out, SabeySabes is a brilliant evaluator of talent; if it doesn't, he's "classic Old Sabean." As long as we avoid the RoRo contracts, I'm OK with SabeySabes calling the shots.

OK, a fair rebuttal. I defer to the Ringed One as well.

If he makes this kind of move, he must see something we don't. But part of the fun of fandom (the ONLY part in the winter) is throwing around ideas like this and voting yea or nay.

Maybe a more nuanced thought would be that the cheap vet moves aren't his 'fault', but due to the budget constraints which only 5-6 teams don't have. He does his best to fill the roster given the budget handcuffs. Only hindsight tells us if he (or any other) GM made the 'right move'.

I guess gp agrees with you too...he doesn't rosterbate because it will be what it will be and he trusts Sabean to make the right moves?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins Made Three-Year Offer To Cuddyer: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Twins supposedly offer Cuddyer 3 year, $25mil contract.

Also, the highest bidder for Nakajima should be released tomorrow. Whoever wins the bid will have 30 days to reach a contract with him. If they shouldn't reach a contract, I believe (assuming I read correctly) they don't have to pay for the bid.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, a fair rebuttal. I defer to the Ringed One as well.

If he makes this kind of move, he must see something we don't. But part of the fun of fandom (the ONLY part in the winter) is throwing around ideas like this and voting yea or nay.

Maybe a more nuanced thought would be that the cheap vet moves aren't his 'fault', but due to the budget constraints which only 5-6 teams don't have. He does his best to fill the roster given the budget handcuffs. Only hindsight tells us if he (or any other) GM made the 'right move'.

I guess gp agrees with you too...he doesn't rosterbate because it will be what it will be and he trusts Sabean to make the right moves?

I think GP is just smarter than the rest of us and takes this time to bank quality time with the SO so that he can watch baseball during the season.

:amen:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think GP is just smarter than the rest of us and takes this time to bank quality time with the SO so that he can watch baseball during the season.

:amen:

I'm smarter still...I post mostly from work. Problem solved!

Also, I married someone who likes the Giants even more than I do.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Burrell was signed to a minor league deal after being released by the Rays. He was never guaranteed time with the big club. He had to hit his way back to SF after being utterly useless with Tampa.

If Ludwick would sign for the ML minimum with only a guarantee of the chance to earn his way onto the roster, then I could see how the comparison with PTMFB is a good comparison. But if Ludwick does put pen to paper and don teh French Vanilla, it will be on a ML deal worth a few million per and he would immediately expect starts and a regular position in the OF.

Sorry, the "classic old Sabean" line is very appropriate here.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrell was signed to a minor league deal after being released by the Rays. He was never guaranteed time with the big club. He had to hit his way back to SF after being utterly useless with Tampa.

If Ludwick would sign for the ML minimum with only a guarantee of the chance to earn his way onto the roster, then I could see how the comparison with PTMFB is a good comparison. But if Ludwick does put pen to paper and don teh French Vanilla, it will be on a ML deal worth a few million per and he would immediately expect starts and a regular position in the OF.

Sorry, the "classic old Sabean" line is very appropriate here.

I suppose you could use Huff here too (when he signed the $3mil deal.....not so much the $11mil deal :()

I do agree though, PTMFB is not an apples to apples in my humble opinion.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More MLB Rumors. Nothing to get too excited about.

The Giants are trying to trade infielder Jeff Keppinger, outfielder Andres Torres, and reliever Ramon Ramirez, tweets Danny Knobler of CBS Sports. They're planning to keep lefty Jeremy Affeldt. ESPN's Buster Olney says there's a strong feeling by other teams Torres will be non-tendered. If so, the Giants may not be able to get much for him. Torres was the second-most valuable center fielder in baseball in 2010, based on FanGraphs' wins above replacement.

Keppinger, Torres, and Ramirez are all arbitration eligible, and MLBTR projects salaries in the $2.3-2.7MM range for each.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm smarter still...I post mostly from work. Problem solved!

Also, I married someone who likes the Giants even more than I do.

Dude....you definitely win. My wife isn't even familiar with the sport...she hails from north of the border, eh?

She loves NBA hoops though. I suspect it has something to do with highly conditioned male athletes running around in shorts....