• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like all rumors and 'I heard...'s, who knows how real this is, but it gives us something to yak about.

Not sure asking for Banuelos is a fuck you move so much as necessary. We'd need a pitching prospect back for the deal. But freeing up Zito's $ almost as good as getting Cano.

Would you guys pull the trigger if the Yankees did indeed say yes to Cano and Banuelos for Cain and eating all of Zito's $?

Not since we've traded Wheeler. Before? Maybe.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not since we've traded Wheeler. Before? Maybe.

Banuelos not enough to replace Wheeler for you?

How about the pitcher we'll sign with Zito's money, and the one we'll get for Franchez?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think he could do exactly that.

That kind of trade probably does improve the team enough to make it work:

OUT
Cain
Zito and his $ drain
Franchez

IN
Cano
Banuelos
Another pitching prospect for Franchez
A new pitcher (like a Buerhle) with Zito's $ and we save some besides.
And we now can easily keep Timmy since we don't have to also pay Cain.

With Zeet's money off the books and Cainer a Spank, there's no way SabeySabes would have traded Chez, but you're right, we'd have to trade Franchez. That would have taken $40MM off the 2012 books. Add back in $5MM for Chez and $14MM for Cano and that still leaves a lot of scratch to spend. Payroll would have been around $100 factoring in $15 for CarBel.

Our rotation would have been:
Freak
Bum
Song
Chez
Kamp

C- Buster; 1B - Huff; 2B - Cano; SS - Stamos; 3B - Panda; LF - CarBel; CF - Nate; RF - Belt
Bench: Pill, Fonty, Torres, Christian, Stewy
Pen: Weez, Romo, Affeldt, Lopez, Casilla, RamRam, Runzler

That leaves $30MM to improve the team over those 25 players. My thought: that would give us the wherewithal to kick the tires on Reyes, but I'd pass on a 5+ year deal for a guy who can't stay healthy. Thus, I'd pursue Darvish, Jackson, and Cuddyer in that order. Maybe Willingham.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Zeet's money off the books and Cainer a Spank, there's no way SabeySabes would have traded Chez, but you're right, we'd have to trade Franchez. That would have taken $40MM off the 2012 books. Add back in $5MM for Chez and $14MM for Cano and that still leaves a lot of scratch to spend. Payroll would have been around $100 factoring in $15 for CarBel.

Freak
Bum
Song
Chez
Kamp

C- Buster; 1B - Huff; 2B - Cano; SS - Stamos; 3B - Panda; LF - CarBel; CF - Nate; RF - Belt

That leaves $30MM to improve the team over those 25 players. My thought: that would give us the wherewithal to kick the tires on Reyes, but I'd pass on a 5+ year deal for a guy who can't stay healthy. Thus, I'd pursue Darvish, Jackson, and Cuddyer in that order. Maybe Willingham.

I'd focus all the money saved on a starter or two (i.e. - forget Cuddyer and Willingham). Our lineup all of a sudden looks legit with Buster, Cano, Panda, EvenYear Huff and Beltran.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Freak
Bum
Song
Chez
Kamp

I would invest in Reyes and Edwin Jackson. Reyes will get between 14-18 million, Jackson should get between 8-12 mil.

Reyes-SS
Cabrera-CF
Cano-2B
Posey-C
Beltran-LF
Sandoval-3B
Huff-1B
Schierholtz-RF

Timmeh
Bum
Jackson
Volgelsong
Surkamp

FWIW, I would trade Lincecum before Cain.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would invest in Reyes and Edwin Jackson. Reyes will get between 14-18 million, Jackson should get between 8-12 mil.

Reyes-SS
Cabrera-CF
Cano-2B
Posey-C
Beltran-LF
Sandoval-3B
Huff-1B
Schierholtz-RF

Timmeh
Bum
Jackson
Volgelsong
Surkamp

FWIW, I would trade Lincecum before Cain.

BUT....if we had traded Cainer, there'd be no Melky as we'd have kept Chez. And the Yanks didn't ask for Timmy either.

Hey man, stick with the hypo!!

:arg:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUT....if we had traded Cainer, there'd be no Melky as we'd have kept Chez. And the Yanks didn't ask for Timmy either.

Hey man, stick with the hypo!!

Well, in the hypo i still trade for Cabrera :D I don't see a viable 2 hitter in that lineup and Cabrera fits that bill better than anyone we have.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in the hypo i still trade for Cabrera :D I don't see a viable 2 hitter in that lineup and Cabrera fits that bill better than anyone we have.

In the hypo, you trade away two of your starters??? With all that money to spend on FAs you trade for Melky?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the hypo, you trade away two of your starters??? With all that money to spend on FAs you trade for Melky?

Technically, it would be 3 starters...

Cain and Zito to NYY
Chez to KC

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, it would be 3 starters...

Cain and Zito to NYY
Chez to KC

If Chez is a starter, Zito is in the bullpen. I'm not counting six starters.

1. Tim
2. Cain
3. Bum
4. Song
5. Chez

Zito is part of the trade for payroll relief only; he's only a starter if one of the others goes down/gets traded.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chez is a starter, Zito is in the bullpen. I'm not counting six starters.

1. Tim
2. Cain
3. Bum
4. Song
5. Chez

Zito is part of the trade for payroll relief only; he's only a starter if one of the others goes down/gets traded.

Weird use of the present tense, with Chez actually gone daddy gone.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hypothetical realities twist everything around. I'm gonna go back in time, chop down a cypress tree and CC Sabathia will be a Giant for a hometown discount. :loco:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but that was the hypo -- Zito and Cain traded for Cano and Banuelos a month ago.

1. We don't trade for Melky
2. We need Chez for the rotation.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but that was the hypo -- Zito and Cain traded for Cano and Banuelos a month ago.

1. We don't trade for Melky
2. We need Chez for the rotation.

I know I know, it just reads kinda weird.

Oh well, winter doldrums = weird posts.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean was talking about Tier 2 FA's and not to expect any big names (which I'm actually happy with). I wonder if the Giants FO considers Michael Cuddyer and Josh Willingham in that 2nd tier billing? Where does Carlos Beltran fall?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean was talking about Tier 2 FA's and not to expect any big names (which I'm actually happy with). I wonder if the Giants FO considers Michael Cuddyer and Josh Willingham in that 2nd tier billing? Where does Carlos Beltran fall?

Read that also. I hope he was essentially saying no Pujols/Prince/Reyes.

I wonder how challenging it would be to be overly optimistic about the 2012 Giants...if Melky is the only addition to a woeful offense?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read that also. I hope he was essentially saying no Pujols/Prince/Reyes.

I wonder how challenging it would be to be overly optimistic about the 2012 Giants...if Melky is the only addition to a woeful offense?

Never underestimate a fan's ability to be overly optimistic or pessimistic. :minion:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs Reach Agreement With David DeJesus: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Dejesus is no longer an option, but after the Melky trade, I don't think there was much pursuit, anyway. Seems like a good deal for the Cubbies, though.

After the ridiculous middle infielder contracts that have been signed the last few weeks, this one seems pretty sane. The Cubs are paying him to be a 1.5 WAR guy and he'll likely end up 2.0 WAR plus. Could be a very good move for them, depending.

Part of me would've liked to see him in SF...but that would preclude getting CarBel.