• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NE Patriots Rumors and Rumors of Rumors 2023

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl week is generally all pomp and circumstance for the two teams competing.

For others, it's a chance to lay the ground rules for trades and other business.

Some h8ings mean nothing and other things are for real. It's being reported that BB and Groh had lunch with Mike Brown and Zac Taylor. It was also reported nthat BB and Mike Brown were seen having a cocktail together. Could be nothing or could be something. Bengals' backs are against the cap wall and they may have to move some players to get some breathing space.

Of Course, nothing can take place until the season starts in March. Rumor seeping out of Phoenix is that the Bengals and Patriots are talking about Tee Higgins. No way they would trade Chase or Boyd, so Higgins is the most likely. For Higgins, it would make him the #1 WR and not be under the shadow of Chase. Of course the rumor mill always churns and when no one has a real grasp of what is happening, they guess, The guess is that the Patriots would switch 1st round picks with the Bengals and give them a 5th and the Patriots would get the Bengal late first round and a 7th.

The Patriots would drop from #14 to #29.

Is Higgins worth it?? Thoughts??
I'd be fine with Higgins but I don't buy the "under the shadow" thing. The real problem when you have multiple playmakers is: there's only one ball. The good news: no playmaker finishes every play with the ball. Every team needs multiple playmakers and teams, especially teams with efficient QBs (like the Bengals) can manage it.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with Higgins but I don't buy the "under the shadow" thing. The real problem when you have multiple playmakers is: there's only one ball. The good news: no playmaker finishes every play with the ball. Every team needs multiple playmakers and teams, especially teams with efficient QBs (like the Bengals) can manage it.
No question. Only problem in the NFL is that the league sets "Franchise" numbers and that's often the minimum that player looks at. Higgins isn't going to sign for the franchise of $17.5M and the Bengals don't have the cap space to meet that number. Regardless of what 'we' think, the reality is always the cost. More than likely, if BB made a deal for Higgins he'd have to have an extension ready to be signed around $20M per. Then the question becomes, "Would Higgins put the offense over the threshold?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tee Higgins is good. But is he THAT good?
I see him as a better Harry. A younger Parker.

I am NOT an NFL talent evaluator...but I see him as a REALLY good #2 WR.
I would like him on our team and think he could succeed here. But trade Agholor or Parker and some later draft stock, and use #14 on a young OT.
He's better than both of them by a lot. However, you are correct that something seems off at times. He just seems to disappear for portions of a game, then all of a sudden he has stats. Can that be managed and improved? I don't know him well enough.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question. Only problem in the NFL is that the league sets "Franchise" numbers and that's often the minimum that player looks at. Higgins isn't going to sign for the franchise of $17.5M and the Bengals don't have the cap space to meet that number. Regardless of what 'we' think, the reality is always the cost. More than likely, if BB made a deal for Higgins he'd have to have an extension ready to be signed around $20M per. Then the question becomes, "Would Higgins put the offense over the threshold?
These are solid facts and transparent opinions which conclude with a good question. I'm more informed by reading it.

Seriously, post less drama and the same content like this above and you are the board champion you want to be. (note - I'm not saying no drama because life has drama).

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better than both of them by a lot. However, you are correct that something seems off at times. He just seems to disappear for portions of a game, then all of a sudden he has stats. Can that be managed and improved? I don't know him well enough.
Undoubtedly better than both of them. Combined even.

But, is he better than Diggs?
Jefferson?
Brown?
Adams?
Metcalf? Kupp? Hopkins? Samuel? Smith ? Lockett? Evans? Lamb? Olave? Godwin?

Hill?

OK, some of those could be is he "As good as".

Is he better than Meyers even?
Yes, but not by leaps and bounds.

Is there untapped potential?

I like him and think he could be an asset for the Pats. But my expectations would be high, but not top shelf high.
And I think 14 would be better served elsewhere.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, post less drama and the same content like this above and you are the board champion you want to be. (note - I'm not saying no drama because life has drama).
I'm an author. I write what I think. I've written 11 full novels (#12 underway), 5 short stories, and poetry.
I'm published, have received royalties from E-Books and paperbacks published on Amazon. My writing is my self expression.

If my writing offends you, there's little I can do about it. I apologize. I don't edit to make others more comfortable.

Not expressing this in anger. Just sort of defending my prose.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
higgens isnt a FA till 24 he aint going nowhere till then:suds:

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm an author. I write what I think. I've written 11 full novels (#12 underway), 5 short stories, and poetry.
I'm published, have received royalties from E-Books and paperbacks published on Amazon. My writing is my self expression.

If my writing offends you, there's little I can do about it. I apologize. I don't edit to make others more comfortable.

Being an author is not justification for showing up here and posting fiction.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a poster. I post what I think. I have posted thousands of posts and received likes and poops.
If my posting offends you, there's little I can do about it. I offer no apologies. I go out of my way to not get into pissing contests.

I enjoy much of your posting. I'm not bothered by ill-informed posts - we all do that.
Please understand that most of us here are older and have our own opinions. When you post on an open website, you can expect criticism. An angry or arrogant response is rarely effective.

If you want to be blindly adored, buy a dog.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a poster. I post what I think. I have posted thousands of posts and received likes and poops.
If my posting offends you, there's little I can do about it. I offer no apologies. I go out of my way to not get into pissing contests.

I enjoy much of your posting. I'm not bothered by ill-informed posts - we all do that.
Please understand that most of us here are older and have our own opinions. When you post on an open website, you can expect criticism. An angry or arrogant response is rarely effective.

If you want to be blindly adored, buy a dog.
I couldn't agree more. I very much enjoy BK's good posts and don't mind the nonsense one's either. I respond, well, just because.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic's Dan Duggan reports Sterling Shepard's contract was automatically voided, making him a free agent.​

Shepard was under contract for 2023 but a stipulation in his contract automatically voided the final year of his deal three days after the Super Bowl. The clause was added last offseason when Shepard agreed to a restructured contract, so this was always the exit plan for the G-Men. The Giants will absorb a $4.3 million hit in dead cap to part ways with the oft-injured Shepard, who suffered a torn ACL in Week 3 last season. In seven seasons with the team, Shepard caught 362 passes for 4,038 yards and 22 touchdowns, dealing with a myriad of injuries along the way. Over the last two years, Shepard has appeared in just 10 regular season games and hasn't played in more than 12 games since 2018. When healthy, he's a serviceable WR2 who's capable of playing both out wide and in the slot. He'll likely land elsewhere on a one-year prove-it deal this offseason.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC Sports Boston is reporting that BB and Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch have been talking about a potential trade.

Patriots would give up multiple 1st round picks (2023 & 2024?) and the 49ers would trade Deebo Samuel.

That's all that's being reported and the two picks are media guesses. The rest is supposedly true and the talks are ongoing.

Also reported is that the Patriots #1 free agent target is Mike McGlinchey OT of the 49ers, #2 IS Jamel Dean CB Bucs and surprise, surprise, #3 Jalobi Meyers WR NEP.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC Sports Boston is reporting that BB and Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch have been talking about a potential trade.

Patriots would give up multiple 1st round picks (2023 & 2024?) and the 49ers would trade Deebo Samuel.

That's all that's being reported and the two picks are media guesses. The rest is supposedly true and the talks are ongoing.

Also reported is that the Patriots #1 free agent target is Mike McGlinchey OT of the 49ers, #2 IS Jamel Dean CB Bucs and surprise, surprise, #3 Jalobi Meyers WR NEP.
Maybe it's just me but I am not all the enamored with Debo. At least not two 1st round picks enamored.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that I am a decision maker for the organization, but I don't like it, especially for two first rounders.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you know this for sure? Other than your opinion, can you provide factual proof?
The rumor was started by Patriots Wire. Patriots Wire, is written by the same people who write Bills Wire, Dolphins Wire, and on and on for 32 teams.
Their stock in trade is "what if" it is manufactured news - you might call it "fake news" It certainly is fake!

fake

noun (1)

: one that is not what it purports to be: such as
a
: a worthless imitation passed off as genuine