• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Trade Deadline Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no its not....didu read my post above?208

One of the first rounders is for 2021.....The other will be in either 2017,2018, or 2019.

Miami sent two first-round picks -- one that will be used in either 2017, 2018 or 2019, the other in 2021

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no its not....didu read my post above?208

Yes, I might be in the minority on this...But, I always read your posts.

You are a ridiculous homer. But, you do know your basketball.

No doubt this would be an epic fail if he walks.

But, he won't...

So why did Dragic include the Heat as one of his few preferred destinations (with the Knicks and Lakers)?

“First, because it’s one of the best organizations in the NBA," Rade Filipovich, one of Dragic’s two agents (with Bill Duffy), said Thursday evening.

“Second, they have a tremendous leader in Pat Riley and a tremendous coach in Erik Spoelstra. And they’ve got a pretty good team. He thinks this team can accomplish a lot. No question he likes playing with Dwyane Wade, one of the best players in the NBA, and playing with great players like Wade and Chris Bosh.”

He also relishes being able to play point guard again; Phoenix was playing him primarily at shooting guard.

“It’s a great fit,” Filipovich said. “Goran and Wade to bring the ball up, create offense, very good shooters –-- very interesting team. A playoff team. He feels lucky he ended up in Miami. He’s very happy.”

“It’s not difficult to cut a deal [when] you’re talking about Pat Riley,” Filipovich said.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ts-weigh-in-dragic-nuggets.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ts-weigh-in-dragic-nuggets.html#storylink=cpy

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you do this deal if you are the Miami Heat...

Dragic is the most accurate guard in the league, percentage-wise, in the basket area among qualifiers, shooting 68.2 percent within five feet.

Dragic wanted to go back to playing point guard, and this illustrates his value there: During his minutes when he was at point guard and not playing with Phoenix’s other two point guards this season, Dragic averaged 27.9 points and 9.8 assists per 48 minutes. (ESPN projected the numbers over 36 minutes earlier this week.) Only Stephen Curry, LeBron James and Russell Westbrook could match those numbers.

The Heat now has the high-percentage shooting backcourt. Dragic is second in the league among shooting guards, behind Kyle Korver, at 50.1 this season. Wade is third at 48.7 percent and shot an absurd 54.5 percent last season. And this is no anomaly with Dragic; he shot 50.5 percent for Phoenix last season, when he averaged 20.3 points and 5.9 assists and was all-NBA third team.

The Heat is now the NBA’s only team with five players in the top 90 in efficiency rating, as ESPN noted. Dragic is 88th this season and was 20th last season.

Addressing point guard, the Heat’s biggest weakness, was vital because the 2016 free agent class has only one high-end point guard (MikeConley), with Brandon Jennings and George Hill the second- and third-best options.

As far as what the Heat gave up, no great loss. Riley has little use for draft picks, so parting with picks in 2017 and 2021 wasn't a concern. According to the Arizona Republic, the 2017 pick is top-seven protected for two years and unprotected in 2019...

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twinsy!

KG is coming home.

I'm glad.

I read they want him to extend for 2 Seasons because they are going after Okafor or Towns in the draft.

Darren Wolfson: Flip makes it official: no KG tomorrow night. ... #Twolves want Okafor or Towns more than ever now and have KG mentor next year. Yes, #Twolves like Russell. Figure him 3rd if Okafor-Towns go 1-2. Stanley Johnson and Mudiay also guys they like. Probably more too.Twitter @DarrenWolfson

I wouldn't be opposed to them giving him 2 more years. I could see him playing the role that McHale did for him, with the individual workouts, and also Sam Mitchell. With all the kids on smallish contracts, it could easily workout.

If not that, put him in a suit and keep him around the organization. Even if he is done playing basketball, he still has value.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat Worry Chris Bosh Will Miss Rest Of Season
February 20 at 8:19am CST By Chuck Myron

The Heat are worried that Chris Bosh has multiple blood clots on his lungs that would force him to miss the rest of the season, reports Joseph Goodman of the Miami Herald. Initial tests proved inclusive after Bosh was admitted to a Miami-area hospital Thursday, according to Goodman. The treatment for pulmonary embolus, or multiple clots, would involve blood thinners, which could keep the Heat’s star out for even longer than the balance of 2014/15, Goodman writes. The condition appears to have come on rather quickly for Bosh, who played just this past Sunday in the All-Star Game.

Blood clots are no joke. If this is what it is, he could be out till this time in 2016.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to amend one thing.

In previous post I said that i thought the Lakers and Knicks might have missed opportunities.

The more I think about that- the more I have to correct it a little- especially regarding the Lakers. Trojan made a great point about them possibly getting Dragic a couple days ago- stating that getting him might make them good enough to lose their pick.

That is a very good point. That top 5 pick is a big time potential asset- and not making a move pretty much guarantees they keep it- and the importance of the pick cant be overstated- getting two young building blocks, in Julius Randle- and say Russell - at affordable rookie deals - is huge. Say niether even becomes a #1 type guy (which might not be true)- at the very least I think you have guys that can be say- the #2, and #3 players on good teams- and maybe- depending who they get- you can evenslot them in as GREAT #3 and #4 guys(and thats with an average expectation of them- maybe they get lucky and one guy becomes a RW or something like that- im just assuming maybe not quite a worst case scenario-but a very very conservative scenario).

So I can definitely see why the Lakers did what they did-

the only downside is like i said -that a lot of guys who mighthave been potential targets- if not for the Lakers- for other teams - found their homes today. Itll be intersting to see how such an active deadline effects the offseason.

Interesting you say that too, because according to the paper this morning, Byron Scott also said that he has no problem with the Lakers standing pat. He said that he believes in Mitch and Jim's plan and it has him excited for the summer.

Of course, I'm sure that how excited he is about it at the end of the summer will be determined by how well their plan is executed. If the rumors out here are true, one of the big sticking points was the Suns insisting that the Lakers remove the top 5 protection from this years pick. I'm glad they stuck to their guns and didn't panic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dragic is a very young 28 year old with not a lot of wear and tear. They're going to give him the max because Pat wants to win in the very near future....and if we don't give him the max other team will.

Dragic did not start playing heavy minutes until 2013 so his age doesn't bother me. If he can put up an avg of his 2 seasons as the Suns true PG, this deal was well worth it.

And for the record an avg of his 2 years before Thomas came to the Suns would be `17.5 PPG & 6.6 APG

And as for your stupid Dragic never made an AS game so it means he's not good argument. His numbers last year were better than any of Holiday's numbers in his career.

Just because you don't make an AS game because you play at the deepest position in the league does not mean you're not a really good PG

Additionally, the all-star game (at least the starting 5) is a popularity contest. Heck, Kobe was voted into the all-star game and it's not as if he was having an all-star caliber season before he got hurt.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every legit source is in agreement including the best in the business that it is almost a lock that Dragic re-signs with Miami. There is a much better chance that Kevin Love walks away from Cleveland than it is that Dragic leaves Miami.

Pat would not make this move if he thought Dragic was gone in July. You don't give up 2 1st round picks for a rental unless you think you can win the title that year.

:agree: About the only way Dragic doesn't re-sign with the Heat is if they suddenly have a change of heart and don't want to max him.

Interestingly, I heard a report yesterday stating that a lot of NBA execs are all but convinced that Love won't re-sign with the Cavs this summer.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible news about Bosh. Hope the fears do not turn out to be reality.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: About the only way Dragic doesn't re-sign with the Heat is if they suddenly have a change of heart and don't want to max him.

Interestingly, I heard a report yesterday stating that a lot of NBA execs are all but convinced that Love won't re-sign with the Cavs this summer.

Or, if the Heat are terrible the rest of the way?

Chris Bosh's health is bigger than basketball.

But, will Dragic feel obligated to stay when this is the last big contract he will ever get?

Bad time to even be thinking about this...

Stuff like this doesn't help the speculation.

A person familiar with Dragic’s thinking said he “loves the opportunity” to join the Lakers and sees them as a “perfect fit” when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. But the Heat can sign Dragic a five-year deal worth up to $100 million, while other teams can offer up to a four-year deal worth $80 million. Los Angeles Daily News

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you think Dragic is worth 20 million a year- which is basically more than a quarter of your cap space
in his age, 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 seasons?

a guy who has is arguably not even top 10 at his position? who has not ever had a significant momemnt in his career?

I think he is a very good player as i have said on numerous occasions

but a max contract for this guy who is going to be 30 during next season? I mean, cmon now

i guss to each their own

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you think Dragic is worth 20 million a year- which is basically more than a quarter of your cap space
in his age, 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 seasons?

a guy who has is arguably not even top 10 at his position? who has not ever had a significant momemnt in his career?

I think he is a very good player as i have said on numerous occasions

but a max contract for this guy who is going to be 30 during next season? I mean, cmon now

i guss to each their own

What would most likely decline during those years would be his defense, and he's already not a good defender.
He is the best PG we've had since 3 the Hardaway......

And you might say he isn't top 10 at his position, but he's a better PG then Kyrie... correct??

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would most likely decline during those years would be his defense, and he's already not a good defender.
He is the best PG we've had since 3 the Hardaway......

And you might say he isn't top 10 at his position, but he's a better PG then Kyrie... correct??

please do not spread such blasphemy on this board by saying Dragic is better than Kyrie.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dragic's game will translate into his 30's better than Rondo. The real winners are Detroit, if they can lock up a core of Jackson, Monroe, Drummond then they will be a playoff team in the East for years to come.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never claimed Dragic was a better player. I said PG ( which he is).
We have a pretty good SG when he's healthy and this move should hopefully entend his career.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please do not spread such blasphemy on this board by saying Dragic is better than Kyrie.

Did you just see that ish Kyrie did?

:eek:...he is fun to watch.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, if the Heat are terrible the rest of the way?

Chris Bosh's health is bigger than basketball.

But, will Dragic feel obligated to stay when this is the last big contract he will ever get?

Bad time to even be thinking about this...

Stuff like this doesn't help the speculation.

A person familiar with Dragic’s thinking said he “loves the opportunity” to join the Lakers and sees them as a “perfect fit” when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. But the Heat can sign Dragic a five-year deal worth up to $100 million, while other teams can offer up to a four-year deal worth $80 million. Los Angeles Daily News

The Heat were one of the teams that he wanted to be traded to. If it turns out that Bosh's health issue puts his career in jeopardy, then I could possibly see him opting out and signing with the Lakers. As you point out though, this is likely his last big contract and the Heat will be able to pay him considerably more than anyone else. Plus, it'll give him 5 years with a GM who has shown that he can put together a contender fairly quickly.

Last edited: