• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Trade Deadline Thread

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Isaiah Thomas' half season stint in Phoenix is over. Don't see why anyone wants to sign with us if they will get traded immediately.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Isaiah Thomas' half season stint in Phoenix is over. Don't see why anyone wants to sign with us if they will get traded immediately.

hey you got a first round pick out of it....I believe the Cavs 2016 pick.....

but...instead of paying Dragic a ton of money- and no guarantee he would even take it-

you guys have Knight who you can matchany deal for- and Bledsoe....Thats a pretty nasty back court.

3 first round picks total too between the deals....so thats some ammo to get a player at some point....

a core of Bledsoe, Knight, Len, Markieff Morris- maybe Goodwin, and Green.....I dunno about the Wright trade though...you think they want to resign Wright?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel so bad for guys like Isaiah Thomas. Signed a long term deal in the offseason thinking he would be with the Suns for the next 4 years and he's traded across the country to Boston.

I would be livid.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel so bad for guys like Isaiah Thomas. Signed a long term deal in the offseason thinking he would be with the Suns for the next 4 years and he's traded across the country to Boston.

I would be livid.

What's wrong with Bosh's lungs?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong with Bosh's lungs?

Have no idea. They sent him home from practice yesterday as he was feeling sick. He did not travel to NY with the team today and a few hours ago I read that he was in the hospital

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh dear...

Ira Winderman @IraHeatBeat 19 Feb 10:09 ET
Bosh at a Miami hospital tonight "undergoing tests" for what Heat have described as an illness. He reported to practice Wednesday then left.

Ethan J. Skolnick @EthanJSkolnick 19 Feb 11:21 ET
Re: questions about Bosh, whether cramping, shortness of breath related to side bothering him, calf injury, etc. I'm not a doc. Best 2 wait.

Surya Fernandez @SuryaHeatNBA about 14 minutes ago
Still no official word on Bosh's initial tests but multiple reports are saying it has to do with his lungs. Let's hope for the best.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just to clear up some stuff on the Heat Dragic deal from waht I have read

-Apparently the Heat still have an obligation to send a 1st round pick to the Sixers- which will likely be this season since i think its lotto protected (the pick owed to the Sixers)

-That means, the Heat cannot send its 2016- due to the Stepien Rule that you cant trade #1 picks in consecutive seasons.

-Thus- the first pick Phoenix will get- will likely be in 2017- and that pick is top 7 protected.

-Because of the Stepien rule the Heat cant trade their 2018 pick- so the 2nd 1st rounder owed to the Suns would transfer in 2019- it is a fully unprotected pick.

Somewhat surprisingly the guy on ESPN gave the Heat only a C...I would have given them a B...and this is what he said.

Miami Heat: C
This is perhaps the NBA's most fascinating and riskiest trade since the Brooklyn Nets acquired Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from the Celtics at the 2013 draft. I can see a scenario in which acquiring Dragic propels the Heat back into contention, which seemed impossible after LeBron James' departure. I can also see a scenario in which Miami has given up two lottery picks for the right to overpay a guard who's already peaked.

If I am Riley I would do this deal. What are the chances he is even around if those picks end up being good? Maybe, MAYBE he is still here in the league in 2017....but 2019? he could probably care less that he dealt a fully unprotected pick- he wont be around to see the consequences.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like it.

Could have picked up a bug in Haiti.

No offense to Hatians.

But, that water supply aint the greatest.

That was my immediate thought. He and Wade took a family vacation to haiti so I assume he picked up something out there as he was clearly feeling fine enough before the trip

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having said that-

There is no way I would sign a 29 year old Dragic to a max contract.

How do you give a guy 100 million that has never had a significant moment in the league? Has never made an all star team, and is already 29 years old?

I think that it is a HUGE pickup for the Heat- not only because I believe he is a very good player who is currently in his prime- but he upgrades probably the worst PG group in the league.

Having said that- like i said in previous posts-the super elite PGs are RW, Parker, Curry, Paul.....there is a group of 3 extremely young and talented guys in Lillard, Kyrie and Wall who are thoroughbreds and big time impact players from the jump and have barely sctatched their potential. Derek Rose has his issues, and Mike Conley is neither super elite nor super young- but hes really good...

but that next group- that includes, Teague, Lowry, Bledsoe, Dragic, Knight, Jennings, Rondo, Walker, Holliday-----all are really good. All will get paid a lot of money. But out of all those guys Dragic is just about the oldest, hes only been a starting player for 2 years before coming into this year. Think about that- in the NBA....he is going to be 29 before the end of this season- and will have only started 3 years.

Is that a guy you invest a max type contract into?

i certainly would not. Looking at that group of guys-

Id be more willing to give that type of money to Lowry who has proven to be a big time leader and just started the all star game,

Id be more willing to give that money to Bledsoe- who has huge talent and can play on both sides of the court,

id be more willing to give that money to Rondo who has made all star teams, won bigtime in the playoffs and proven himself a million times over-

id be more willing to give that money to an up and comer like Knight who is only 23 years old, is still getting better, and the difference is not a HUGE difference already.

I think id even be more willing to give huge money like that to a 24 year old Jrue Holiday- who has made an all star team- and is a better athlete- and despite being 5 years younger has about 3 times the # of nba starts.

Maybe I am wrong- time will tell.....but there is not a huge difference between Dragic and about 6-7 other guys- and most of those guys are both younger and more accomplished.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ, this is a scoring pg's league.

The Heat didn't have one of those.

Is Dragic worth 100 mil?

Let me put it to you like this....

Was Mozgov worth 2 first rounders?

He was to the Cavs.

Ditto for Dragic...

They are in win now mode.

They couldn't afford to wait for some kid to develop while wasting what's left of Bosh and Wade's prime years *.

* See Wiggins for Love Trade

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to amend one thing.

In previous post I said that i thought the Lakers and Knicks might have missed opportunities.

The more I think about that- the more I have to correct it a little- especially regarding the Lakers. Trojan made a great point about them possibly getting Dragic a couple days ago- stating that getting him might make them good enough to lose their pick.

That is a very good point. That top 5 pick is a big time potential asset- and not making a move pretty much guarantees they keep it- and the importance of the pick cant be overstated- getting two young building blocks, in Julius Randle- and say Russell - at affordable rookie deals - is huge. Say niether even becomes a #1 type guy (which might not be true)- at the very least I think you have guys that can be say- the #2, and #3 players on good teams- and maybe- depending who they get- you can evenslot them in as GREAT #3 and #4 guys(and thats with an average expectation of them- maybe they get lucky and one guy becomes a RW or something like that- im just assuming maybe not quite a worst case scenario-but a very very conservative scenario).

So I can definitely see why the Lakers did what they did-

the only downside is like i said -that a lot of guys who mighthave been potential targets- if not for the Lakers- for other teams - found their homes today. Itll be intersting to see how such an active deadline effects the offseason.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ, this is a scoring pg's league.

The Heat didn't have one of those.

Is Dragic worth 100 mil?

Let me put it to you like this....

Was Mozgov worth 2 first rounders?

He was to the Cavs.

Ditto for Dragic...

They are in win now mode.

They couldn't afford to wait for some kid to develop while wasting what's left of Bosh and Wade's prime years *.

* See Wiggins for Love Trade

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

Mozgov was dealt for 2 picks with HEAVY HEAVY protections- and both are pretty much guaranteed to beinthe 20's...

You as a Clippers fan should know the perils of trading totally unprotected picks more than anyone.

ESPECIALLY when you consider where miami might be after Dwade is gone and while an old old Boshis making 25million a year- and when you consider Riley might not be there much longer since hes 70.....

I think the trade was a good one for the Heat- i have said so- but there is definitely a chance it comes back to bite them in the ass in a huge way- especially since Dragic is a free agent

the Cavs giving up 2 highly highly protected picks for Mozgov wwho is signed for next to nothing next season??

totally totally different

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dragic is a very young 28 year old with not a lot of wear and tear. They're going to give him the max because Pat wants to win in the very near future....and if we don't give him the max other team will.

Dragic did not start playing heavy minutes until 2013 so his age doesn't bother me. If he can put up an avg of his 2 seasons as the Suns true PG, this deal was well worth it.

And for the record an avg of his 2 years before Thomas came to the Suns would be `17.5 PPG & 6.6 APG

And as for your stupid Dragic never made an AS game so it means he's not good argument. His numbers last year were better than any of Holiday's numbers in his career.

Just because you don't make an AS game because you play at the deepest position in the league does not mean you're not a really good PG

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every legit source is in agreement including the best in the business that it is almost a lock that Dragic re-signs with Miami. There is a much better chance that Kevin Love walks away from Cleveland than it is that Dragic leaves Miami.

Pat would not make this move if he thought Dragic was gone in July. You don't give up 2 1st round picks for a rental unless you think you can win the title that year.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

Mozgov was dealt for 2 picks with HEAVY HEAVY protections- and both are pretty much guaranteed to beinthe 20's...

You as a Clippers fan should know the perils of trading totally unprotected picks more than anyone.

ESPECIALLY when you consider where miami might be after Dwade is gone and while an old old Boshis making 25million a year- and when you consider Riley might not be there much longer since hes 70.....

I think the trade was a good one for the Heat- i have said so- but there is definitely a chance it comes back to bite them in the ass in a huge way- especially since Dragic is a free agent

the Cavs giving up 2 highly highly protected picks for Mozgov wwho is signed for next to nothing next season??

totally totally different

Dude, one of the first rounders is for 2021...lmfao!

They guy they are gonna pick is currently in middle school!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say the cap goes up to 80 million in 2016 Mecca....

If Dragic takes the expected max - that bskbllr seems convinced they will over him....

he will enter next season getting paid 20 million for the next 5 years.

That means you will be paying Goran Dragic about a quarter of your payroll in his age 30,31, 32, 33, 34, seasons-

and this is a guy- that you can make an argument for being a top 10 player at his position- but you can also make a strong argument that he is not.

The Heat have made the choice that it is worth it to try and win now and that he is worth the contract. We shall see......me personally I dont- but there is a reason why I am typingthis on my computer and why Pat Riley is Pat Riley