• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Rest Of Season Thread 2021

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m a left handed hitter, I’d just laid a bunt down the 3rd base line to get on base. It’s pretty much free if the pitcher can’t get there in time. Too bad many of these guys can’t bunt these days. Ichiro will probably get a double out of a bunt if they did this against him. Lol
I am not sure if it was the Mariners broadcast or another, but they asked George Brett if he would have hated hitting against the shift. He said he would have hit .600 or something like that. Point being the oldies would have taken what was given because that was baseball. Now it seems like they are offended to do that.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's are now guaranteed to be above .500! Woo! Congratulations boys!

3.0GB behind second WC spot.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I am relieved to see that we clinch a winning season at this point...

but what the hell was wrong with Steckenrider?! Was he trying to hit every left-handed batter?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least potentially ruining oaklands year makes me happy.

3 GB with 11 to play.

To put it into perspective probably need to go 9-2 to have any shot, would mean 6-5 from Toronto and 6-4 from the Yankees to force a tie

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure if it was the Mariners broadcast or another, but they asked George Brett if he would have hated hitting against the shift. He said he would have hit .600 or something like that. Point being the oldies would have taken what was given because that was baseball. Now it seems like they are offended to do that.

Chicks dig the long ball ( and so do the guys who ink the large contract$ )
That is why we have the newly phrased: launch angle - exit velocity etc etc
And all the hitters throughout the league know that a way to longer MLB careers and fatter paydays is hitting the ball over fence ( NOT laying down bunts to get on base and never driving in a run )

Can you imagine LH hitting Joe Morgan at the plate with the shift on ? He would have an OB% of around .750

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't give a shit about the velocity and/or angle stats. All that concerns me is that it's either over the wall (fence) or NOT over the wall (fence)- a home run is a home run (as long as it doesn't bounce back for a GRDouble. Next, they'll start having the seconds (to the 100th) from HP to First and/or from 1st to 2nd on a steal. lol

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... it looks like the A's may have completely given up. At least there's still one other team in this division still fighting for a playoff spot.
Actually happy to see that these guys are fighting til the very end. I'm completely OKAY with these type of efforts.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils Advocate: Our top 2 RBI guys are 30+ with one year left on their contracts after this year (Seager has team option). Our bullpen which was our strength was patch worked with veterans who had career years for the most part. That is my biggest worry. Our future core was not the main contributors with the exception of France and Crawford.

Not trying to poo poo your hope, just a worry I have. I am hoping you are right.
The Mariners also haven't finished above .500 in back to back years since 2002-2003. Every few years the M's do this then are poo poo the next season. The worst part about this year (and just about every year they've come close) is that there's always a crappy division that puts a team in the playoffs with a worse record than the Mariners. Hell the M's would be the second wild card team in the NL. I remember reading an article a few years back that rated a teams luck in terms of making the playoffs based on win% and the Mariners were the unluckiest. The Cardinals were the luckiest. Of course the Cards are that second wild card team right now in the NL with a worse record than the M's. Figures.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners also haven't finished above .500 in back to back years since 2002-2003. Every few years the M's do this then are poo poo the next season. The worst part about this year (and just about every year they've come close) is that there's always a crappy division that puts a team in the playoffs with a worse record than the Mariners. Hell the M's would be the second wild card team in the NL. I remember reading an article a few years back that rated a teams luck in terms of making the playoffs based on win% and the Mariners were the unluckiest. The Cardinals were the luckiest. Of course the Cards are that second wild card team right now in the NL with a worse record than the M's. Figures.
Good stuff. I didn't realize any of that. Thanks.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My random baseball note of the night: Pete Rose never hit more than 16 homers in a season.

Also, I don't get the record Perez set for most home runs in a season by a catcher. Technically he has hit 31 this year while playing catcher. Bench hit 38 in 1970 while playing catcher. I would think playing the actual position at the time of hitting one would matter if calling it a position record.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least potentially ruining oaklands year makes me happy.

3 GB with 11 to play.

To put it into perspective probably need to go 9-2 to have any shot, would mean 6-5 from Toronto and 6-4 from the Yankees to force a tie
Oakland never does anything in the playoffs so the M's are doing everyone a favor keeping them out lol.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good is Chris Flexen this year? Absolutely solid.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flexen lowered his ERA to 3.56 and earned his 15th QS after tonight's start. Both good enough for top 5 in the AL.
Solid!

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Toronto continues to falter, M's have a chance to make a move in the WC standing. BOS and NYY plays each other next, so gonna enjoy watching them beat the hell out of each other. Just continue to take care of business like this and with some help, they should be there until the very end.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicks dig the long ball ( and so do the guys who ink the large contract$ )
That is why we have the newly phrased: launch angle - exit velocity etc etc
And all the hitters throughout the league know that a way to longer MLB careers and fatter paydays is hitting the ball over fence ( NOT laying down bunts to get on base and never driving in a run )

Can you imagine LH hitting Joe Morgan at the plate with the shift on ? He would have an OB% of around .750
Disagree with this though. Chicks may dig the long ball but they don’t dig strikeouts and walks.
Disagree about it prolonging careers and paydays as well. Cruz in an anomaly. Launch angle is silly number that owners are down with because they can suppress the wages. A persons who’s entire offense is based off that isn’t going to have sustained career. OBP is always going much so significant and crucial than launch angles or exit velo. That is just simple elementary math.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This series is screwing oakland the way oakland has screwed seattle so MANY times over the years. That team has been a thorn in our side forever. They are still in it, as are we but if they had beat us these three in a row instead of Seattle winning oakland's chances would have been a lot higher.