• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Jordan is a hypocrite

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you admit that you've got nothing other than the old "5 rings" argument?

I'm not even saying that Kobe is better. I have lebron as the better player too, albeit only just.

The point I was trying to bring across, before you got your panties in a bunch, was that popularity eventually dictates who is known to be the better player.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even saying that Kobe is better. I have lebron as the better player too, albeit only just.

The point I was trying to bring across, before you got your panties in a bunch, was that popularity eventually dictates who is known to be the better player.

Well, I agree that popularity players a big role, but not the only role. If we want to have a meaningful discussion about how good a player actually is/was, we need to cast aside personal biases. Case in point, I loved Allen Iverson but I think he gets severely overrated by Philly fans. I also liked Kobe -- but I think he gets overrated by Lakers fans. Because those guys have styles that appeal to fans (both personal style and playing style), I think they end up being ranked a little higher than they probably should be. For the record -- I'm not trying to put Iverson in the same category as Kobe, just that they both benefit from fan popularity.

Also for the record, my panties are perfectly unbunched.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No.

Popularity dictates who casual fans choose in a poll like the one you linked. People in the know don't care about popularity. That is why generic polls on a big site like ESPN are meaningless.

Now, if it were a poll of current NBA players or NBA analysts, then it would mean something.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many have openly spoken about the lebron v kobe discussion?

Players?

Not many. Analysts? It is what they do. I am fairly certain it would be a landslide if guys like Billups, McGrady, Smith, Shaq, Barkley, etc. were polled on this topic. Barkley might take Kobe out of loyalty to Jordan, but most are taking LeBron.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players?

Not many. Analysts? It is what they do. I am fairly certain it would be a landslide if guys like Billups, McGrady, Smith, Shaq, Barkley, etc. were polled on this topic. Barkley might take Kobe out of loyalty to Jordan, but most are taking LeBron.

So you agree with everything Stephen A has to say because he's an analyst?

Every single thing said on First Take is right on the money?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players?

Barkley said this not too long ago:

"I have told you guys the five greatest players in my opinion: Michael [Jordan], Oscar Robertson, Wilt [Chamberlain], Bill Russell and Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar]. Then it’s Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan. Then LeBron is right there. I don’t understand why ya’ll are in such a hurry to move him past Tim Duncan and Kobe. Now if he wins a couple of more championships, I might move him past Kobe and Tim Duncan. You guys always talk about championships. Kobe and Tim have five. LeBron has three…LeBron is amazing. But only in the bulls--- of today’s society could I say a guy is one of the eight greatest players ever and it's an insult to him. That’s crazy. If LeBron wins a couple of more championships I will move him past Tim Duncan and Kobe."

Charles Barkley: Always The Life Of the Party

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing for me about the 5 - 3 argument for rings.

Kobe wasn't even the best player on his team for 3 of his rings. Shaq was clearly the dominant and best player. He won the MVP's in all 3 of their championships. Every year that Lebron has been in the finals, he's been the best player on the court by a pretty significant margin.

Lastly, comparing Kobe and Lebron is comparing apples and oranges. It would be better to compare Lebron to Magic/Oscar and Kobe to Jordan. Cross comparing them doesn't work because their skill sets are entirely different.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kenny Smith.

Stephen A isn't an analyst. He is a talking head fool.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ANd I never said I agree with everything those guys say. But I do respect their opinions.

Stephen A. And many of the other journalists on the ESPN talk shows don't know jack about basketball. They are just loud.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANd I never said I agree with everything those guys say. But I do respect their opinions.

Stephen A. And many of the other journalists on the ESPN talk shows don't know jack about basketball. They are just loud.

So Stephen A doesn't know shit, despite it being his job, but a couple of guys and gals on a random internet message board do?

Every single thing about basketball, apart from actual results (including stats), is a mere opinion.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:stephena:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Stephen A doesn't know shit, despite it being his job, but a couple of guys and gals on a random internet message board do?

Every single thing about basketball, apart from actual results (including stats), is a mere opinion.

Stephen A knows sports in general. But he doesn't know basketball as well as some on here. That is fact.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing for me about the 5 - 3 argument for rings.

Kobe wasn't even the best player on his team for 3 of his rings. Shaq was clearly the dominant and best player. He won the MVP's in all 3 of their championships. Every year that Lebron has been in the finals, he's been the best player on the court by a pretty significant margin.

Lastly, comparing Kobe and Lebron is comparing apples and oranges. It would be better to compare Lebron to Magic/Oscar and Kobe to Jordan. Cross comparing them doesn't work because their skill sets are entirely different.

That 3rd ring with Shaq was pretty equal IMO. What does that matter though? Lebron never played with someone as effective as prime Shaq, but did Kobe ever have a 2nd teammate as good as prime Wade or prime Bosh? Maybe Gasol?

Kobe and Lebron are comparable, skills wise. Kobe has the killer drive, and Lebron has the physicality edge. Kobe, especially post Shaq, won with less and with the outcome resting on his shoulders. Kobe's two losses were to a very strong Celtics (proto-super) team and a hard-working Pistons team that caught the Lakers as they lost their cohesiveness. Lebron has been there more (advantage), but has lost more as well, including to the worst championship team in recent memory (Mavs). When splitting hairs, MVPs and ring counts come into play. They split those advantages as well. Rings are real though (especially for the main impact players), and MVPs are voted on (popularity contest). Both Kobe and Lebron should have more MVPs than they do, but voters hold grudges and get bored easily.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 3rd ring with Shaq was pretty equal IMO. What does that matter though? Lebron never played with someone as effective as prime Shaq, but did Kobe ever have a 2nd teammate as good as prime Wade or prime Bosh? Maybe Gasol?

Kobe and Lebron are comparable, skills wise. Kobe has the killer drive, and Lebron has the physicality edge. Kobe, especially post Shaq, won with less and with the outcome resting on his shoulders. Kobe's two losses were to a very strong Celtics (proto-super) team and a hard-working Pistons team that caught the Lakers as they lost their cohesiveness. Lebron has been there more (advantage), but has lost more as well, including to the worst championship team in recent memory (Mavs). When splitting hairs, MVPs and ring counts come into play. They split those advantages as well. Rings are real though (especially for the main impact players), and MVPs are voted on (popularity contest). Both Kobe and Lebron should have more MVPs than they do, but voters hold grudges and get bored easily.

The Mavs were the worst championship team in recent memory, but still far better than the teams Kobe beat to get his first 3. They might even have been better than those Pistons.