• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Jordan considered himself a racist

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Jordan racist?

giphy.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White people do have a White Entertainment Television. It's called CMT. Watch it, you'll see it. The only difference is BET just calls it like it is, CMT calls it "country."

Who gives a crap? I dont care if black people have a television channel called BET. I dont care if the have a "United ***** College Fund." I dont care if the have "Miss Black America." Why do people care about this? It doesnt hurt you. BET has never caused me any pain. They never got me fired.

Save the outrage for real racism that matters.

It's not racist.

But what if they had a "Miss White America", or a "United White College Fund"?

Would that be racist?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's interesting how this thread was carefully worded to downplay the significant past of Michael Jordan who did not say he "considered himself to be racist" He said he was racist. No excuses, not long stories and beating around the bush. Michael Jordan's racism is no less acceptable or excusable than Donald Sterling's is now. The only difference is that some of you appear to me like you're to trying to brush this off as if it wasn't that big of a deal

These are really good points and completely not surprising to me that people will brush off an MJ character flaw. I am 1 of the most outspoken posters on how much of a douche MJ really is, and he being racist in 1970s North Carolina is the least of his offenses in my mind.

IMO it is different if a black* person is racist over a white* person. I know that sounds racist but an african american's racism is reactionary. It is no different than hating somebody for doing bad things to you. Is it wrong that he includes all people based on skin color? Yes, but to be fair the south isn't known for progress or equality even today. By condemning all whites in the 1970s I bet he correctly accused more of racism than were incorrectly accused.

*They are not african americans or anglo what evers, they are americans with different skin colors.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White people do have a White Entertainment Television. It's called CMT. Watch it, you'll see it. The only difference is BET just calls it like it is, CMT calls it "country."

Who gives a crap? I dont care if black people have a television channel called BET. I dont care if the have a "United ***** College Fund." I dont care if the have "Miss Black America." Why do people care about this? It doesnt hurt you. BET has never caused me any pain. They never got me fired.

Save the outrage for real racism that matters.

Well said. Seems pretty simple, if you don't like the channel don't watch.

I don't watch either channel, but I'd be more likely to watch BET than CMT.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The term "African American" is the most ignorant term ever invented.

What does one call a black person from Europe?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's interesting how this thread was carefully worded to downplay the significant past of Michael Jordan who did not say he "considered himself to be racist" He said he was racist. No excuses, not long stories and beating around the bush. Michael Jordan's racism is no less acceptable or excusable than Donald Sterling's is now. The only difference is that some of you appear to me like you're to trying to brush this off as if it wasn't that big of a deal

I disagree. I understand the point you're trying to make, but there is a big difference between MJ and Donald Sterling, imo.

MJ's racism was due to real racism that he witnessed and/or was done to him. He appears to have eventually learned and no longer holds those views.

Donald Sterling's racism was not due to anything that was done to him and does not appear to have learned anything or changed his views.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

African American via Europe? European African American? Anglo-Saxon African American?:noidea:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we know why Sterling is racist? Maybe something in HIS life brought it upon? Would it be warranted then?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
African American via Europe? European African American? Anglo-Saxon African American?:noidea:

Right? It's presumptive and just plain old PC run amok. There is absolutely nothing racist about saying "black".

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the sad thing about racism, is it tends to perpetuate itself...victims of racism have a tendency to take on racist views as a result of it....a fight fire with fire mentality is bred from it....self-perpetuating, and I feel one of the biggest hurdles to overcome in the fight against racism.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we know why Sterling is racist? Maybe something in HIS life brought it upon? Would it be warranted then?

Solid point. However, what racism would Sterling as a white person suffer that MJ did as a black person? Sterling, being Jewish, could have suffered racism, but it seems unlikely that it would have come from a black person.

Additionally, whatever the cause of the beliefs may have been, MJ appears to have learned and no longer holds those views. Sterling appears to have learned nothing and maintains those views.

Although, he now claims that his rant was due to "jealousy", not racism.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe if it were anyone else it would be a big deal, but this is Jordan. He could sport a Hitler mustache and burn down a golf course with no consequences. Why? Because he's Jordan. Let's just leave it at that.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Jordan's struggles with racism as a child were among the topics touched on in a biography released Tuesday.

In the book, titled "Michael Jordan: The Life," author Roland Lazenby described how Jordan grew up in the 1970s in North Carolina -- where Jordan said the Ku Klux Klan was dominant and that that atmosphere shaped his views on race.

Those views were strengthened after he watched the miniseries "Roots" and learned about the suffering of his African-American ancestors.

The tipping point, Lazenby wrote, came in 1977, when a girl at his school called him the N-word.

"So I threw a soda at her," Jordan said in a 1992 interview with Playboy magazine, the details of which were written about in Lazenby's book. "I was really rebelling. I considered myself a racist at the time. Basically, I was against all white people."

Source: ESPN

Growing up that environment, I cant blame him. Seems some would want him to accept it and like it.:L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if it were anyone else it would be a big deal, but this is Jordan. He could sport a Hitler mustache and burn down a golf course with no consequences. Why? Because he's Jordan. Let's just leave it at that.

Ever seen MJ play golf? He's not Charles Barkley level bad, but he's been responsible for lots of burned down golf courses.:lol:

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The federal govt classifies people. Charlize Theron is more AA than most blacks in this country.