• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan Rules and Sources

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DorianRo

The implementation of zone defense changed the nature of the NBA and actually impacted the new 3-ball game we see now. Teams had to adapt to zone principles being allowed now, including soft double's and hedging without being called for illegal defense. Because teams did this, it created the Warriors more movement/motion based offense.

A lot of the past NBA stars (especially post players) would struggle a lot because of this rule. Jordan did a lot of his work with the fade away on the block area. That would allow teams to be able to double him routinely and still be able to rotate back on defense.

Don't take my word for it. You know who else thought Jordan would struggle against today's modern defensive? Michael Jordan himself.

Even Michael Jordan Thought Michael Jordan Would Struggle Against Modern Zone Defense

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DorianRo

The implementation of zone defense changed the nature of the NBA and actually impacted the new 3-ball game we see now. Teams had to adapt to zone principles being allowed now, including soft double's and hedging without being called for illegal defense. Because teams did this, it created the Warriors more movement/motion based offense.

A lot of the past NBA stars (especially post players) would struggle a lot because of this rule. Jordan did a lot of his work with the fade away on the block area. That would allow teams to be able to double him routinely and still be able to rotate back on defense.

Don't take my word for it. You know who else thought Jordan would struggle against today's modern defensive? Michael Jordan himself.

Even Michael Jordan Thought Michael Jordan Would Struggle Against Modern Zone Defense
It's a waste of time with that jabroni, but you always bring the science. Props.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DorianRo

Yeah, I think he would adjust and his game would have looked different. Still would have been a dominant scorer.

But those people who think he would average 45+ are just stupid. Skip Bayless believes this which is proof enough.

Now, if the MJ’s team was really bad and MJ just playing to get his, then maybe. But that also would have been true during Jordan’s era. The year he averaged 37 the Bulls weren’t that good either.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think he would adjust and his game would have looked different. Still would have been a dominant scorer.

But those people who think he would average 45+ are just stupid. Skip Bayless believes this which is proof enough.

Now, if the MJ’s team was really bad and MJ just playing to get his, then maybe. But that also would have been true during Jordan’s era. The year he averaged 37 the Bulls weren’t that good either.

Yeah my post wasn't to say Jordan wouldn't be dominate. He'd still be the GOAT by my estimation, but people saying he'd score 50 a game are being ridiculous. I mean there are at least a handful of NBA players right now in the NBA that COULD average 50 a game if that was their sole purpose and the teams gave them the freedom to do so. But they wouldn't be as successful trying to do it. So really what's the point in this argument? At least that's my POV.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah my post wasn't to say Jordan wouldn't be dominate. He'd still be the GOAT by my estimation, but people saying he'd score 50 a game are being ridiculous. I mean there are at least a handful of NBA players right now in the NBA that COULD average 50 a game if that was their sole purpose and the teams gave them the freedom to do so. But they wouldn't be as successful trying to do it. So really what's the point in this argument? At least that's my POV.

You know who could average 50 a game?

Patrick McCaw

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who could average 50 a game?

Patrick McCaw

I have always been a Pat McCaw fan.

But I’m not sure he would average 50 in a YMCA league.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the release of the Last Dance documentary there has been the expected post-mortem reactions of denials, criticism, and production decisions. Over the last 2 weeks former Bull Horace Grant (who was a part of the first 3 championships 91-93) has taken exception with Michael Jordan calling him a "snitch" for leaking information to Sam Smith author of The Jordan Rules.

First I will offer my own critique of Jordan playing revisionist history. He denies that he had anything to do with Isaiah Thomas' not being on the original Dream Team. Incorrect, as confirmed by hall of fame writer Jack McCallum. While I have no sympathy for Thomas, Jordan should own his role in that.

Second, I am perplexed that apparently no one has either read or remembers reading the book Mindgames: Phil Jackson's Long Strange Journey by Roland Lazernby. In the text of this book Lazernby clearly states that the infamous source for the Jordan Rules was in fact Jackson (see attached). So why is no one mentioning this? Other sources aside from Jackson could also include Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf. Grant was interviewed and clearly contributed to the content but he is far from the only one. Is this a lack of awareness? Sloppy reporting? Did Lazernby make this up? If he did, he should be called out for it. Otherwise, why no reference to Mindgames? Further evidence suggests that an assistant named John Bach was eventually fired from the Bulls because GM Jerry Krause was under the belief that Bach was the source, which Jackson admitted he perpetuated.

The answer seems pretty clear, or at least something that should be mentioned by the media while they are nursing this story along in a time without any live sports.

View attachment 242732 View attachment 242732 View attachment 242734
Honestly I see why it matters. Its ancient history which isnt going to be ever changed anyway