• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Jordan considered himself a racist

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st paragraph was basically what I was going to say.

I do not think it is a huge leap in logic, I think it is the logical leap in logic. Think of the last time people were labeled. Whites only and Jewish stars should be screaming through your head imo.

Black history month is a black eye imo. It shouldn't exist. The contributions of people regardless of race should be taught equally just as if color didn't exist. If they want to bring attention to the faults of the US so people learn from those mistakes I can see that being a month, a "think on your sins" month or something. Everything from slavery to Hiroshima could be included, and the process of how the country was founded is pretty important. It might even take some pressure off of the current regimes "character flaws".

That being said I do not think that recognizing differences are the same as segregation or even bad. In recognizing these differences we can see how similar we all really are.

But people are always labeled in our society. When we are filling out applications for things, we are often asked what group we identify ourselves with. Does that mean that segregation is the next step that follows? Does it make people think "oh I belong to this group, so I should stop associating with people outside of it"? What you're talking about is institutionalized segregation/government-sanctioned racism or whatever you want to call it. Huge difference between that and calling something Black Entertainment, Black History or whatever.

I don't think about Black History Month as a "think on your sins" month or anything. I guess people can feel that way about it if they want to, but I don't think there is any need for a "think on your sins" month. My understanding is that it was intended to bring a spotlight on people and events that were not taught or were hardly taught in our schools. I'm sure schools are doing a much better job on that than they were some 40 years ago when Black History Month started, but I don't think it hurts anyone that there is a Black History Month.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black History Month was created by Carter G Woodson......I'm not even sure HOW school districts adopted it as a practice around the country, as it's never been dictated or put into law.

Black history is US history.....but it still is not covered in most history books. When I was in school, I used to ask questions that unnerved my teachers. When we looked at world history, and got to Egypt, all the pictures suddenly were in black and white only. Most of my peers had no idea the Egyptians were mostly black, or that Egypt was in Africa. Once we got to other civilizations, all the pictures were in color again! It was as if the publisher made a point to mask the fact the Egyptians did not look like Charleton Heston and Liz Taylor.

Black History isn't just about slavery, blacks have contributed a LARGE part to our society. Many of our modern conviences were invented by blacks, but these things are never taught or appreciated. And black history month itself has mostly been whittled down to a few facts: MLK had a dream, George Washington Carver made peanut butter, and Rosa Parks wouldn't give up her seat. That's about all you get taught.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about just teach better history? It's like a consolation prize or some shit?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about just teach better history? It's like a consolation prize or some shit?

That would be the solution. However that's been the solution for decades, and you STILL see school districts haven't changed. I can't give you a better, bigger clue than that.

Our education system is horrible.....and one of the most conservative entities on the planet. Most people don't even know WHY we have a summer break, when no other schools in the world do this. There is so much about our system - we just refuse to change or improve it for a variety of really DUMB reasons.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But people are always labeled in our society. When we are filling out applications for things, we are often asked what group we identify ourselves with. Does that mean that segregation is the next step that follows? Does it make people think "oh I belong to this group, so I should stop associating with people outside of it"? What you're talking about is institutionalized segregation/government-sanctioned racism or whatever you want to call it. Huge difference between that and calling something Black Entertainment, Black History or whatever.

I don't think about Black History Month as a "think on your sins" month or anything. I guess people can feel that way about it if they want to, but I don't think there is any need for a "think on your sins" month. My understanding is that it was intended to bring a spotlight on people and events that were not taught or were hardly taught in our schools. I'm sure schools are doing a much better job on that than they were some 40 years ago when Black History Month started, but I don't think it hurts anyone that there is a Black History Month.

I should have clarified, labels based on skin color or religion. It doesn't have to be the next step but in a way it is with out even being taken. I just don't think it is a stretch to make that connection.

People change associations based on looks all the time, most notably called "clicks" in high school to social strata in the elder versions. Even gangs are often based on geographic location.

I also do not think of Black History Month as a think on your sins month, I think a "Think On Your Sins Month" should replace "Black History Month".

I think we should focus on black people the same way we focus on white people, tan people, orange* people or the super awesome purple eyed chicks** who have no body hair except on their heads and do not have "times of the months" but are still fertile. Yea get me some of that mutation.

BHM when it started was more than needed imo.

*I do not know of a skin color called orange.
**The Purple Eye Disease (Alexandria Genesis) - Wattpad