• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McNabb on Cutler's Contract

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I can think is your (rich) thinking we are a SB team right now. Outside of the passing game we are a shell of our former selfs. Everybody pretends that we have this SB shot (lol) because we can now pass. Yet no passing team has ever won anything. Denver was never even in the game, but the team that ran and controlled the ball and played great def won it yet again. Big offenses are fun to watch and win in the reg season. But fail miserably come PO time. This team is a def and STs away. We have gone backwards in every area except pass attack. You think I'm not paying attention but I think it's you that does not see the big picture.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe that I'm the one getting on people for being overly optimistic.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why pretend Jay is elite and pay him as such? Would any other team have done so? Sorry but anyone pretending this was a fair price is kidding themselves. We OVER paid. Sure it may work out but that does not change the fact we paid for elite talent and have not gotten it.

Whos pretending he is elite? Pretty sure the consensus on this board is he is a very good QB- best weve had in quite sometime. You honestly believe that Jay wouldnt have fielded competitive offers from other teams had he taken the time to explore all options??? I HIGHLY doubt it. Again, its not about what the team feels hes worth, its the amount that will be required from the incumbent team if they are truly serious about retaining him. A few teams have an elite QB. Many/most teams dont have a QB thats above average. Its the most difficult position to scout -by far- in this league. If a team has a talented one, it makes sense to keep him. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush where the QB position is concerned. C'mon nooner- quit making it sound like its so easy to land a QB- we Bear fans KNOW better than that with the carousel of mostly sub par talent that weve seen grace this team for the last few decades.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL- Not For Long. There is no time for starting over...windows are too small, too many scenarios abound to keep the pieces status quo when the team, or at least one side of the ball finally comes together.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the animosity toward Cutler. He has improved his play under Trestman's system in just one year, and this year appears to be even better. The only problem is keeping him upright, and a second year with this OLine together improves his chances. Is he worth his contract? IMO, of course. He is the best QB the Bears have had since the 1940's, and he gives this team the best chance to win. Fans from other teams laugh at us, but I don't care. I really believe he will lead the Bears to the SB within a few years, especially if his performance continues to improve. Is he as good as AR? No, but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to do his part in the offense that Trestman has put around him.

Like it or not, the Bears success rests on his shoulders. Everyone on this board should be hoping for his success, not bashing him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the animosity toward Cutler. He has improved his play under Trestman's system in just one year, and this year appears to be even better. The only problem is keeping him upright, and a second year with this OLine together improves his chances. Is he worth his contract? IMO, of course. He is the best QB the Bears have had since the 1940's, and he gives this team the best chance to win. Fans from other teams laugh at us, but I don't care. I really believe he will lead the Bears to the SB within a few years, especially if his performance continues to improve. Is he as good as AR? No, but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to do his part in the offense that Trestman has put around him.

Like it or not, the Bears success rests on his shoulders. Everyone on this board should be hoping for his success, not bashing him.
I am hopeful and I am behind him. I have not ever bashed him. I do feel we overpaid, but I don't see what choice we had.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich- couple pages back, you mentioned that this happens every time Cutler is brought up... Yep- Every board, every time the Bears are brought up the QB position get's turned around- there just seems to always be a loud group posting that they don't like a guy. The fights and arguments of:
Rex vs Orton were epic.
Orton vs Cutler (In Jay's first year was laughable)
Cutler vs the World after the NFC Champ Game.
And now Cutler vs Contract... (though I think it's calmed quite a bit since those early days, people know that he's just not going anywhere and there really isn't a debate anymore.)
Go Bears!

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that I can't remember a time when there was more QB depth in theNFL. I'm fully convinced that there are 25-26 quality QBs right now. Jay is absolutely one of them, although I think he's probably only about 15th best. Part of me feels like it's stupid to pay him as much as we did when there is such a supply of good QBs, many of which are better than him. On the the side of the coin, though, it is impossible to win a title without one of those quality QBs.

Sorry, but what a silly quote.

Just, ALL OF THE SUDDEN… QB's got better? Or did the rule changes and schemes change in this league, allowing QB's to throw for bigger numbers. lol… I'll take the latter.

You do realize that the amount of people paying youth football was much greater in the 1990s and 200s than it was in the 1970s, right? As football ratings grew and it became the most popular sport, a lot more people played. Plus, there were more kids than there were anytie since the baby boom ended around 1961, and baseball was still much bigger when baby boomers came of age. If twice as many people grew up playing, is it absurd to think there will be twice as many good QBs?

No, I don't think Josh Freeman (maybe the 50th best QB today) is better than Warren Moon. But yes, I absolutely think that Warren Moon would be ranked much lower today than he was in 1991. Moon was a top 4 QB then. I think he'd be somewhere around #9 or 10 today tops, even adjusting for the way the game has changed. You see a lot more accurate throws than you did back then.

C

cubzzzfanincali

In some sense, most QBs off their rookie contracts are overpaid, and in that regard so is Cutler. But I think by normal NFL standards, his contract isn't out of line. I mean, Eli and Big Ben even have higher cap hits. I think his contract is better than Flacco's and Romo's. Opinions vary widely on Kaepernick but I think Cutler is a better deal than his, and Kaep's deal averages $3 million more per year than Jay's. I bet Stafford winds up snagging more out of Detroit, and even now his average salary is about Cutler's. Matt Ryan's average salary is almost $3 million more per year. And while Rodgers is obviously the better QB, his contract is the most expensive annual contract in football at $22 million per.

I don't know...I think Cutler's contract is about where it belongs. It isn't Brady's, which is a great deal, but that guy has already made his bank and he just wants to win. I think it is a better contract than several of the contracts I listed.

C

cubzzzfanincali

You do realize that the amount of people paying youth football was much greater in the 1990s and 200s than it was in the 1970s, right? As football ratings grew and it became the most popular sport, a lot more people played. Plus, there were more kids than there were anytie since the baby boom ended around 1961, and baseball was still much bigger when baby boomers came of age. If twice as many people grew up playing, is it absurd to think there will be twice as many good QBs?

No, I don't think Josh Freeman (maybe the 50th best QB today) is better than Warren Moon. But yes, I absolutely think that Warren Moon would be ranked much lower today than he was in 1991. Moon was a top 4 QB then. I think he'd be somewhere around #9 or 10 today tops, even adjusting for the way the game has changed. You see a lot more accurate throws than you did back then.

As far as twice as many great QBs, I doubt it. Reason being, I think most of the great QBs would have played either way. You have more kids playing, but statistically I doubt that proportionately the same percentage of new elite QBs are coming in with the "extra kids."

I doubt Moon would be ranked much lower, but of course it is hard to say. It is possible he would be ranked even higher, because his receivers and he himself would have much better officiating protection.

As for "you see a lot more accurate throws than you did back then", I have to ask, "do you?" How do you know this? I don't have any objective means of comparison....what are you using to determine that?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs are much better now because they are prepared from a much earlier age. They get more coaching and come into the NFL more prepared then ever. Most collage's run NFL offenses now days.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs are much better now because they are prepared from a much earlier age. They get more coaching and come into the NFL more prepared then ever. Most collage's run NFL offenses now days.

Yes: to the first part- QB's are taught better fundamentals earlier.

Absofreakinlutely NOT- to the bold print. Colleges are using athletes as quarterbacks and running spread option. Period. It's a much simpler offense to read, and with an athletic QB who can run you can succeed in college with it- UM did you not just say you would draft johnny football?
How did Vince Young do in the NFL?
Tim Tebow?
RG3? (huge regression in year 2 even before injury(s))
T.Pryor?

These were athletes who succeed in college because they were strong and fast, and had simple ONE read offenses. And got away with a lot of shit on the field. When they came to the NFL the lacked the mental capacity to learn and make quick decisions/and or the arm to perform.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it only me that thinks mcnabb is just a bitter bitch cause he didnt like the way his career ended. Fuck him and his sour grapes ass.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that the amount of people paying youth football was much greater in the 1990s and 200s than it was in the 1970s, right? As football ratings grew and it became the most popular sport, a lot more people played.

Your argument starts and stops right here.

Yes, there are more kids playing. Meaning that EVERY position gets more competitive. Not just QB. It levels the playing field.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich- couple pages back, you mentioned that this happens every time Cutler is brought up... Yep- Every board, every time the Bears are brought up the QB position get's turned around- there just seems to always be a loud group posting that they don't like a guy. The fights and arguments of:
Rex vs Orton were epic.
Orton vs Cutler (In Jay's first year was laughable)
Cutler vs the World after the NFC Champ Game.
And now Cutler vs Contract... (though I think it's calmed quite a bit since those early days, people know that he's just not going anywhere and there really isn't a debate anymore.)
Go Bears!

The Cutler vs the World after the NFCCG arguments still happen every once in a while and still make me pull my hair out each time.

bgduece

Kiss my Ass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is coming from a man out of shape that could not run the two minute offense...he can criticize a man who tore his MCL in THe NFC Championship game, and he is throwing up in the huddle in the Super Bowl, on the game winning drive...

Brother please.....

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is Cutler is the highest paid quarterback in the nfl this season, he is clearly not the best. Next year his hit goes to 13.5 he can get some slack.

He will force balls, he will blame receivers, under guaranteed contract, he will leave the game with a broken fingernail. Its gonna be like that until he proves otherwise. Its not that people hate him, he makes it easy with his better than everyone attitude, its backing up his play on the field with wins, not stats.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is Cutler is the highest paid quarterback in the nfl this season, he is clearlever say he t the best. Next year his hit goes to 13.5 he can get some slack.

He will force balls, he will blame receivers, under guaranteed contract, he will leave the game with a broken fingernail. Its gonna be like that until he proves otherwise. Its not that people hate him, he makes it easy with his better than everyone attitude, its backing up his play on the field with wins, not stats.

When did he blame a reciever? Give quotes. When has he left a game with a broken finger nail? Give proof. When did he EVER say he was better than anybody? Provide quotes. I won't hold my breath