• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus Smart

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thousands of players have managed not to do this, and I guarantee that thousands of players have had thousands of horrible things said to them.
That fan should be investigated and dealt with by Texas Tech, but if he truly said something horrible... Smart could have reported what he said without shoving him.

6 months ago, the media had Smart practically changing water to wine... So much has changed.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the majority of us all agree on some key points here. Smart should be suspended, but the length of suspension should depend on what the guy said. The guy knows he fucked up. He said as much in a text message to his buddy: "Yeah, I kinda let my mouth say something I shouldn't have. I feel bad." He says it wasn't anything vulgar, and he maintains that he didn't use the "N" word. I'm sure there will be a pretty big investigation into exactly what was said. I get that he's a fan, but I think that TT should do the honorable thing and suspend the fan (again, length depending on what was said). Fans shouldn't get a free pass to talk shit to a kid face to face. That's certainly under the same banner as un-sportsman like, as what Smart did (although not to the same level).

Ultimately, this was a bad night for CBB. Listen, I'm a huge CBB fan, and I've been known to say some foul shit. But that's up in the stands along with thousands of other fans. If I have an opposing player right in front of me and I pop off at the mouth, I am obviously provoking him, and trying to get a reaction. And, I should be held accountable. Period. Obviously CBB can't go around justifying some physical attacks, and not others. So Smart has to be suspended. But it's going to have to be a judgement call as far as what the guy said. It's possible that Smart overreacted, and it's possible that Smart actually did show restraint based on what was actually said. We just don't know yet. I'm not saying that Smart's actions are in any way justifiable, but if the fan really said some obscene shit, then I could see him only getting a game or two, because of the severity of the provocation. We just don't know.

What we do know is that the fan was obviously trying to provoke Smart, and he should be held accountable. We also know that Smart let his emotions get the best of him when he shoved the fan, and should also be held accountable. Whose punishment should be more severe depends on what was said. But punishment should be doled out to each.

Since it was only a shove and not a punch, I think there should be a moderated face-to-face meeting between the two and the fan should start it off by apologizing for his words. I'm certain Smart will accept it and apologize for losing his temper.
That's as far as it should go.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these responses are nuts. Suspend him for the year? It was a shove he didn't wind up and cold cock the guy. No way the guy even considers pressing charges anyways. And I'd hard call pushing someone "attacking" them.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart will release a statement (in other words, read something written by a member of the Okie Lite PR department) later today.

I hate these phony PC insincere apologies. Faker than pro wrestling.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it was only a shove and not a punch, I think there should be a moderated face-to-face meeting between the two and the fan should start it off by apologizing for his words. I'm certain Smart will accept it and apologize for losing his temper.
That's as far as it should go.

Ahhh, I think that Smart needs at the very least, a one game suspension, and the same for the fan. Obviously the suspension of Smart will be more costly, but the fan is famous for never missing games. So it will hurt him too. There has to be some sort of repercussion beyond an apology. Players can't shove fans and simply apologize. If it's really not that big of a deal, then a single game will suffice. But again, all of this really hinges on what was said.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alumni have Smarts back. John Lucas III said he has dealt with that same "superfan".

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Paulie from the Dan Patrick show said as much last night in several tweets. This was one of my favorites.

:agree:

But people will always say that he should know better or a guy that's going to the NBA needs to restrain himself.

:bullshit:

Last edited by a moderator:

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the player should be use to the trash talking from the fans by now. He should restrain himself, even more so because he's in his second year. After all he is representing not only himself but a school. Fans are notorius for being unclassy. Players going into the stands to confront fans are not.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly I get tired of going to games and listening to fat ass mcgee yell all kinds of dumb shit at 19 and 20 year old kids. They should suspend smart for one game but give hime the option of taking another for a free punch at the fat racist fick. That could be the fans penalty for being a waste of a cheap polo shirt, if the fan doesnt like it he can lose his tickets for next year

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry heckles a person at her job after she heckled him at a gig.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous Apologetics!

First off, I was a Smart fan. Check the NBA Boards, and I have been hoping all year that he would fall to my Lakers. However, I am also a realist.

No excuse whatsoever for going physically after a fan, unless the very very rare rare exception of that fan going physically after you. You deal with the garbage; You deal with the trash; You deal with the idiots; You deal with the heckling; You deal with the insults including derogatory and/or racial - Deal with it.

That fan may be a POS, but so fucking what. At the stage that you are on, you are expected to rise above it.

But but but, that old grandpa called me a bad name....:bawling:

Grow the fuck up and act at least like you are going to be a pro.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly I get tired of going to games and listening to fat ass mcgee yell all kinds of dumb shit at 19 and 20 year old kids. They should suspend smart for one game but give hime the option of taking another for a free punch at the fat racist fick. That could be the fans penalty for being a waste of a cheap polo shirt, if the fan doesnt like it he can lose his tickets for next year

No one likes a Fat-ass McGee!!!! :laugh3:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got 3 games

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous Apologetics!

First off, I was a Smart fan. Check the NBA Boards, and I have been hoping all year that he would fall to my Lakers. However, I am also a realist.

No excuse whatsoever for going physically after a fan, unless the very very rare rare exception of that fan going physically after you. You deal with the garbage; You deal with the trash; You deal with the idiots; You deal with the heckling; You deal with the insults including derogatory and/or racial - Deal with it.

That fan may be a POS, but so fucking what. At the stage that you are on, you are expected to rise above it.

But but but, that old grandpa called me a bad name....:bawling:

Grow the fuck up and act at least like you are going to be a pro.

I agree. The fan needs a punishment too, but to your point, you don't see the Oregon coach/player going into the stands after this:

Oregon Ducks coach Brian Fish says Arizona State Sun Devils student spit at him - ESPN

braves66boy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the punishment is fair except I would have made where he does not travel with the team for road games. This way you do not risk something like this happening again. Travis Ford should be fired after this is season is over. The reason for this is because he was not a good teacher at teaching players at how to act when they on the court playing basketball.

braves66boy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion would still stand if this happened at Oklahoma, which I am glad it did not happen with a player going there.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The suspension exceeds a shove. I expect the fan to not be respected if he has the guts to show up in Stillwater for a game.
Smart turns pro after the season is over.