• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus Smart

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaaha, when I saw that question of his I thought: Maybe the guy just hates Chicago teams.

I was right!!!!

It is comical if that is truly his reason. I didn't even know he lived in Chicago. I thought it was random and maybe an interesting story that he had 3 pro sports teams that were not really close to each other as his favorite teams.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bawling::bawling::bawling:

Seriously? My team's game is on the line. My team's season is on the line. My future including millions of dollars is on the line. And I give so much a fuck about what one opposing grandpa calling me a bad name, that I am willing to risk it all and assault the old dude? :wtf2:

Calm down dude. We all know smart was ironically a moron.

But you're acting like he threw haymaker after haymaker. It was a PUSH. There is a reason there will be no charges. If a two handed push was deemed assault, every middle school kid would currently have a criminal record.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down dude. We all know smart was ironically a moron.

But you're acting like he threw haymaker after haymaker. It was a PUSH. There is a reason there will be no charges. If a two handed push was deemed assault, every middle school kid would currently have a criminal record.

For one, look up the criminal definition of assault and you will see that this not only encompasses it, but that it also encompasses battery as well. You may/may not think it should - but it does. So you are wrong.

Second, I as a citizen agree with you. This was a stupid push and I don't want to see this shit wasting my tax dollars in criminal court. However, you would be surprised at how many cases less eggregious than this make it that far.

And finally, the main point of my post is my belief that suspension is required. I absolutely do not care what some jackass said in the stands during a game.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it sounds like Orr won't be attending the games for the rest of the season. I'm not sure what else you could want to happen in this situation.

Nothing. Since I posted this before I read that he voluntarily said he wouldn't attend anymore games. :doh:

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, look up the criminal definition of assault and you will see that this not only encompasses it, but that it also encompasses battery as well. You may/may not think it should - but it does. So you are wrong.

Second, I as a citizen agree with you. This was a stupid push and I don't want to see this shit wasting my tax dollars in criminal court. However, you would be surprised at how many cases less eggregious than this make it that far.

And finally, the main point of my post is my belief that suspension is required. I absolutely do not care what some jackass said in the stands during a game.

Sure, you can try and sue anyone for anything. Doesn't mean you will win.

According to the law, in order for their to be the legal term of "battery" there has to be physical evidence of harm. Not sure if that push is going to cause harm. Assault could technically be charged though because that is just the threat of harm. Obviously, nothing is going to be charged in this instance though.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my point though. They are not going to throw the book at you for a push. It's a waste of everyone's time. It would result in a misdemeanor up $400. The way you said it made it come across as some beating.

But yeah we all agree a suspension was needed and 3 games is a good length in my opinion.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, you can try and sue anyone for anything. Doesn't mean you will win.

According to the law, in order for their to be the legal term of "battery" there has to be physical evidence of harm. Not sure if that push is going to cause harm. Assault could technically be charged though because that is just the threat of harm. Obviously, nothing is going to be charged in this instance though.

You are talking civil vs criminal. 2 totally different sets of law. Criminal does not require harm, just unwanted contact. That alone = a misdemeanor. No harm or Dr. bills required.

Again, we both agree this should not go there. However, you would be shocked at how many cases per year are filed in "criminal" court, as a domestic assualt case, because of a push or the like.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He called him a piece of crap. There's audio to prove it... I told you all the race card would be pulled initially by Smart.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm dumbfounded that nobody in the media is calling Smart out for blatantly lying about being called the N word. That's worse than the shove in my opinion. Without the audio proving Marcus lied, Orr's life is ruined. If he still works, he probably loses his job. If not, he'd lose the respect of his school and fanbase that he clearly is dedicated too.

So he lies and that lie could wreck the guy's life, but no one cares.

I wish he'd sue Smart for slander, but he likely won't because Texas Tech and the Big 12 would be pissed at him.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm dumbfounded that nobody in the media is calling Smart out for blatantly lying about being called the N word. That's worse than the shove in my opinion. Without the audio proving Marcus lied, Orr's life is ruined. If he still works, he probably loses his job. If not, he'd lose the respect of his school and fanbase that he clearly is dedicated too.

I wish he'd sue Smart for slander, but he likely won't because Texas Tech and the Big 12 would be pissed at him.

My guess is he wasnt really lying and just thought he heard something different. The reaction you see from him isnt one of a guy that thought he was simply called a piece of crap. Who knows though. Either way its a bad deal for everyone involved.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haven't looked at it from that perspective and, IMO, you are absolutely correct. The media did downplay Smart's charge that Orr race baited him. Looks to me that everyone wants this to go away; including Orr. Seems to me both acted badly and Smart compounded it by bringing race into the issue. Smart gets a 3 day suspension and Orr does not attend games for the rest of the year and everyone is ready for this thing to disappear.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything his draft stock went up. The NBA loves this kinda shit and is full of these guys. If that doesn't work out I'm sure ESPN will hire him. They love these guys more than anyone.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything his draft stock went up. The NBA loves this kinda shit and is full of these guys. If that doesn't work out I'm sure ESPN will hire him. They love these guys more than anyone.

Not so sure I agree with that. IMO, most organizations are not interested in controversy. IMO, if anything, his draft stock has gone down due to his poor play and poor attitude. Poor play is a relative issue and no team wants a "head case" disrupting their plans. At the beginning of the season, this guy was slated as a top 5 pick....don't think so anymore.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure I agree with that. IMO, most organizations are not interested in controversy. IMO, if anything, his draft stock has gone down due to his poor play and poor attitude. Poor play is a relative issue and no team wants a "head case" disrupting their plans. At the beginning of the season, this guy was slated as a top 5 pick....don't think so anymore.

I agree, but if he shapes up and plays well the rest of the year this thing will be almost forgotten. If he takes Okie St far in the tourney while playing well he will earn his spot back in the top 5 for sure.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've changed my mind about this whole thing. I'm kinda pissed at that old guy for being such as ass. I guess we probably won't ever know what was really said, but you can tell by the cocky grin on that guy's face.. he wanted to get one last nasty comment in that would really eat at Smart. It's just not cool and he's no super fan in my book.. kicking a kid when he's down like that.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know that I completely agree. He's still a big time scoring threat and has the athleticism to go with it. This year didn't completely pan out.. the defensive game plan keys in on stopping him + he's trying too hard as it is. He'll still get picked up fairly quickly by someone.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was kinda half joking when I wrote that. What I believe is this whole thing will be forgotten and erased after he has ONE good game. By the time the draft rolls around this will be long gone and not to be mentioned again until his next stupid move which will probably be his rookie yr in the NBA. I wasn't joking about ESPN hiring him though. Look no farther than Ray Lewis

txtarheels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans all around get to personal. No need to call anyone names, or try to get personal. You paid money to watch a game, sit in your seat and cheer your team. Let the players do the talking. On the other hand, player has to be smart enough to let this crap roll off his back. Most fans that do that crap is wanting a reaction. Dont give them the satisfaction. Walk away and then they look like the dumb a@@ the are. As far as what Orr really said, there where to many people around him and if he said something other than what he claims, it will come out.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans all around get to personal. No need to call anyone names, or try to get personal. You paid money to watch a game, sit in your seat and cheer your team. Let the players do the talking. On the other hand, player has to be smart enough to let this crap roll off his back. Most fans that do that crap is wanting a reaction. Dont give them the satisfaction. Walk away and then they look like the dumb a@@ the are. As far as what Orr really said, there where to many people around him and if he said something other than what he claims, it will come out.

Yup, agree with all that. IMO, buying a ticket does not give a person the right to get ugly at these games...and we all have seen it. Even in Pee Wee games, the adults act like fools at times. Maybe there will be some good come from all this and that would be the responsibility of security to toss unruly fans.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can guarantee that security at every venue will be increased. Every Athletic Director in the country watched this episode. Every Coach, every player, and every Arena Administrative Personnel saw this play out. There will be a heightened sense of who is yelling at players during games. There is usually at least one dude setting behind every bench looking for potential trouble. I've seen them looking into the crowd with backs turned to the game. I would imagine there being several surrounding the courts from here on.