• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Los Angeles Angels at our Texas Rangers Series Thread

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The angels get morales, who hits great in our park. Just what we needed.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the reasons to keep him is that "players love him". That's not a reason to keep a manager. The Cowboys players LOVED Wade Phillips. He was not the right man for the job. Ron Washington the person is a great man, who I like a great deal. Ron Washington the manager is the dude that annoys me to no end.

I will say that the Wade Phillips comparison is an interesting one. Phillips naturally didn't seem to have a strong personality and you combine that to being a puppet of Jerrah I just think Phillips was in a situation where he wasn't going to succeed here and that has been true with the Cowboys since Jimmy left. I see Wash a little bit differently personality wise. But I'll also say that they're two different animals. Two completely different games with structures that I think the way a pro baseball team is handled is way different than a pro football season given the number of games each sport plays and the overall culture of the game. But it is an interesting comparison tho.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott downs just got traded. Jose Veras traded, Jessie Crain soon. Lots of relief trades going on

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In their extensive search for a bat, the Rangers recently acquired with the Braves on catcher Brian McCann, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Braves had no interest in trading their starting catcher, who ranks fourth on MLBTR's 2014 free agent power rankings.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be suprised if he's wearing a rangers cap in the offseason
Sure hope you're right. What makes you think so? Interesting.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I just said yesterday that my friend flew to Atlanta to check out the game. What a coincidence

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to set an example VETS...AJ and a fight? No Way!

:whistle:

AJ reminds me of an old Polack First Sergeant I knew who was a bar fly and got into brawls. If there was trash talk outside or inside that bar, I don't think Schep was the loudest. AJ strikes me as loud.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not liked. When you don't like someone then no matter what happens you'll never give credit to someone. That's how it is unfortunately.

My observation being in sports and in the military, a leader walks a narrow line between maintaining good order and discipline and "getting along" with their subordinates. As a young "butter bar" they teach you the sliding scale of upward focus and downward focus. If you are too chummy with the men, you lose respect and discipline falls; if you have your nose up the bosses fourth point of contact and use your men as rented mules for your own success, performance will suffer big time. A leader needs to find balance because the mission is important as well as the men performing the mission. No one will be perfectly balanced, some will be called downward focused (like Washington) and some will be upward focused (I am sure there are MLB Managers like this). Wash is downward focused, that is fine and works for him. How downward focused he is we may never know, but I doubt it is to the point where the players disregard him and blow him off. Is Wash too downward focused to the point where he gives too many chances and players are taking advantage of it? Possible.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as trading for a bat goes, I tend to agree with what I heard on the radio a moment ago. I really don't want to see them trade several good prospects for a mid level bat. First, because one mid level bat isn't going to help this team that much if the other guys don't get it going. Second, because if we use our prospects on a mid-level bat, if a great bat, like Stanton, becomes available in the off season, we no longer have the pieces for a trade. Trading Nathan is intriguing though, the only thing is I think if you do trade him you need to get something in return that is either locked up for a while with a ton of potential or you get a bat that is on a higher level than what the current market is showing. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if we didn't see any other moves though. That is unless JD is able to work out some sort of blockbuster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as trading for a bat goes, I tend to agree with what I heard on the radio a moment ago. I really don't want to see them trade several good prospects for a mid level bat. First, because one mid level bat isn't going to help this team that much if the other guys don't get it going. Second, because if we use our prospects on a mid-level bat, if a great bat, like Stanton, becomes available in the off season, we no longer have the pieces for a trade. Trading Nathan is intriguing though, the only thing is I think if you do trade him you need to get something in return that is either locked up for a while with a ton of potential or you get a bat that is on a higher level than what the current market is showing. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if we didn't see any other moves though. That is unless JD is able to work out some sort of blockbuster.

Honestly I think it's a big diference bat or nothing. I would want Bautista or Edwin

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing about claims is that they usually have fact backing them up. Absence of proof doesn't disprove it, but it also doesn't make it true. I don't think they hate the guy, but just because you see them all laughing in the dugout and carrying on when a guy hits a homer doesn't mean they love him.

Ultimately I think it's just a cliche that is said about managers. "Players love him" "He gets the most out of his players" "He's a real players manager." I just hope they respect him, because the minute they don't he's lost them.

From my sports and military experience "respect" involves two types of "motivation." Fear or reverance. Had a COL who was a real hard ass. If Soldiers did exceptional things he would say "you are just doing your job." If someone made the slightest error no matter how small, he got the axe out, no second chances. That COL was respected, but out of fear. The COL after him had high standards as well. When Soldiers exceeded those high standards they were rewarded. If they made small mistakes, they were showed what right looked like and expected to perform. That COL was respected but not out of fear it was more reverance. When Soldiers failed to meet the standards of the second COL, they felt like they failed him, felt really bad about it because he gives second chances.

Wash is more like COL #2 from my observations. Most of the players probably feel like they are disappointing him. A few may be blowing him off. The good leader needs to find out the ones who are blowing him off and get rid of them.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no clue what JD is doing but you would think someone might need a young Profar. Should be able to get some value there like COF/ CATCHER/ 1ST B./DH. Profar is still blocked and needs a home. It seems as if he is our best bet to get some value pieces and we may. Tell us something JD.