• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host Rockies May 19-21

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview of the Series from WFAA

The 26-17 Texas Rangers are presented with a fresh opportunity this weekend. The Colorado Rockies are in last place in the NL West, a familiar place for the team in purple and black. They come into Arlington for a series with a record of 19-25.

Texas has played four teams that haven't hit the 20-win mark thus far, and their record against such opponents is 10-8. Despite a successful start that sees them leading the AL West, the Rangers could, and should, be posting a better mark against the chaff of the league.

Here’s a look at what Texas is facing this weekend:

Where Colorado is coming from

The Rockies are coming off of a homestand in which they won three and lost three. The last series of that stand was against Cincinnati, a team that swept the Rangers earlier this year. The Rox took two of three from the Reds; the two wins were offensive slugfests, as they won 9-8 on Monday and 11-6 in Wednesday’s finale.

Pitching continues to be an issue for the Rockies, not just because of their perennial problem finding and developing pitching to thrive at Coors Field. Within the span of just a couple of weeks, Colorado lost starters Antonio Senzatela, German Marquez, Noah Davis and Ryan Feltner to injury.

Things to watch for

• Game 44: 7:05 PM CT - RHP Karl Kauffmann (MLB Debut) vs. LHP Martin Perez (4-1, 4.25 ERA)
  • Game 45: 3:05 PM CT - LHP Kyle Freeland (4-4, 3.16 ERA) vs RHP Jon Gray (3-1, 3.15 ERA)
  • Game 46: 1:35 PM CT - RHP Connor Seabold (1-0, 5.14 ERA) vs. LHP Andrew Heaney (2-3, 4.71 ERA)

An old friend arrives with Colorado this weekend – outfielder Jurickson Profar, who signed late in the spring with the Rockies, returns to the place where he was, at one point, baseball’s top prospect. The “new-look” approach to the Colorado offense is triggered partly by Profar, who is in the midst of a 27-game on-base streak, during which he’s hitting .245 with three homers, twelve RBI and seventeen walks.

The Rockies are set to send rookie Karl Kauffmann to the hill on Friday’s opener for his big league debut. On a staff heavily depleted by injuries, opportunity abounds for those in the Colorado minor league system. Kauffmann, for his part, hasn’t been outstanding at Triple-A Albuquerque by any stretch. He’s featuring a 2-3 record with a 7.78 ERA, but he did show potential during Cactus League action at spring training.

The Rockies do have seasoned lefty Kyle Freeland ready for the middle game of the series on Saturday. Freeland is coming off a great start against Philadelphia where he went six innings and allowed zero runs while striking out eight to pick up a win against Philadelphia.

Colorado will close the series with Connor Seabold, a former Boston Red Sox hurler who was traded to the Rockies in mid-January. Seabold most recently experienced a bumpy start against Cincinnati, only going 4.1 innings and giving up six runs (although only four were earned).

Meanwhile, the Rangers will send the “bottom 3” of their rotation. Friday night’s starter Martin Perez is hoping to avoid a third bad start in a row. After finishing April with a 4-1 record and a 2.41 ERA, the lefty has been extremely hittable while losing his command during the most recent road trip.

In his two starts so far in May, Perez has given up 11 earned runs, four homers, and five walks, with opponents hitting .400 off of him. He has been fortunate enough that the Texas offense has picked him up, but Perez is trying to regain his form.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Jon Gray is looking to keep the momentum from his last start going against his old team. Gray, whose career with the Rockies can be defined by heightened expectation after being the No. 3 overall pick in the 2013 MLB Draft, is coming off a season-best game against Oakland, pitching eight innings of 3-hit ball.

Texas finishes with Andrew Heaney in the finale on Sunday afternoon. Heaney most recently had a great outing against the Athletics, going six innings while giving up just one run. With an extra day of rest for each of these starters, the Rangers will be looking for them to go deep in games.

You never can assume a sweep in a big league series but the way these three games shake out, with first place Texas rested and last place Colorado limping with injuries, everything seems aligned for the Rangers.

But then again, the bullpen is undoubtedly going to come into play in this series. That’s been the rub for Texas for weeks and they have to hope that this is the series where the relievers can start to figure things out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

The Rangers are thrilled with the way Zavala attacked his rehab, squeezing all he could out of his time on the field. It was similar to Josh Jung each of the past two times he was injured.

Don't be surprised to find him, Dustin Harris and Evan Carter roaming the outfield together at Triple A Round Rock by mid-July. Don't be surprised if Zavala makes his MLB debut later this season, either.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t call for sweeps often, but we need one right now. The Astros are playing lowly Oakland at home this weekend.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

The Rangers are thrilled with the way Zavala attacked his rehab, squeezing all he could out of his time on the field. It was similar to Josh Jung each of the past two times he was injured.

Don't be surprised to find him, Dustin Harris and Evan Carter roaming the outfield together at Triple A Round Rock by mid-July. Don't be surprised if Zavala makes his MLB debut later this season, either.
Carter needs to rebound some before moving up. Harris need to rebound a lot before moving up.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter needs to rebound some before moving up. Harris need to rebound a lot before moving up.
Carter looked fine the other day but he needs to fill out. No rush. Had a hard luck strike out
Did not look tentative

Harris looks ok definitely a bigger guy. Bat could use some refining

Zavala looked pretty good coming back from injury. Looks like MLB player. My daughter got to go on the field with him. A nice guy
Probably go to another game this year. A good experience

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The imo there made some bad calls IMO at Frisco

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter looked fine the other day but he needs to fill out. No rush. Had a hard luck strike out
Did not look tentative
He is hitting .180 in the month of May.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

And before he left town, Acuña, who you could argue is the best player in baseball at the moment, dropped one other bombshell of the auditory variety that ought to be of special note to Rangers fans.

“My brother,” he said through an interpreter of Rangers prospect Luisangel Acuña, “is more advanced and better than I was at his age. Maybe I was as talented, but not as advanced.”

Which is good copy, for sure. Perhaps also a little hyperbole. Or brotherly pride. Maybe both. The Rangers’ reaction is basically: Pray Big Brother is right, but also that it might be a little unfair to compare any prospect to one of, if not the best player in the game. It is also a nice little temporary distraction because our other option for a missive was: “What’s up with the bleeping bullpen, Take 9?”

So, about Luisangel, who is at Double-A Frisco: He is 21, four years younger than Ronald, and the youngest player on the Rangers’ 40-man roster. It speaks to his precocious talent, but also to where his brother might be employing a hint of hyperbole. At 21, Ronald was already the NL Rookie of the Year and on his way to his first All-Star Game.

“It’s hard not to dream about [his brother], but I don’t think it’s fair to make those comparisons,” Rangers general manager Chris Young said. “We’d love for him to turn into that, but they are different people and different players. We’re excited about the player.”

Truth is the comps to Ronald are fewer now than could have been the case. Luisangel was going to follow in his brother’s footsteps, having agreed to a deal with Atlanta in 2018 — before the Braves’ penalties for international scouting and signing violations were announced. It made Luisangel a free agent again. The Rangers swept in.

Luisangel, a shortstop and the No. 3 ranked Rangers’ prospect according to MLB Pipeline, is tearing up the Texas League. And dare we say it: For now, he’s outperforming top prospect Evan Carter with an .837 to .815 OPS. Carter has been in a bit of a slump of late. Acuña is fourth in the Texas League in hitting (.318) and second in stolen bases (16). He has not been caught stealing.

It comes on the heels of a late-season promotion from advanced Class A Hickory last year. He struggled over the final month as a 20-year-old but has come back with a vengeance. He’s also upped his play at shortstop, perhaps quelling any thoughts that, like his brother, he might function best as an outfielder.

Though the two spend considerable time together during the offseason, Ronald doesn’t say much about what he’s told his younger brother, only that he’s encouraged him to keep “doing what he’s been doing,” and that “it’s been a joy to watch him develop.”

The Rangers can agree with the latter point.

“He is more comfortable and confident,” said minor league field coordinator Kenny Holmberg. “It’s led to high-caliber shortstop play. Like Ezequiel Durán, he’s a baseball player and can do whatever is asked of him.

“And he does it with passion. You can see that in the way he plays. That’s what you look for. I wasn’t sold [on the shortstop play], but he’s made me a believer. He’s been impressive.”

All of which brings us back to the topic of the day: the bullpen. Everybody in the organization from scouts to ownership recognizes that the bullpen is the big league team’s biggest flaw. It is a need that must be addressed. It may require more than one piece to fix.

That’s code for the Rangers are going to have to offer something in a trade. With Corey Seager settled at short for most of the next decade, the position is seemingly one from which the Rangers could peel off some talent to help other areas of the team. With their performances this year, all Durán and Acuña have done is increase their value. Whether that’s to the Rangers or in trade capital remains to be determined.

But it certainly can’t hurt his value to have one of the best players in the game provide a titillating tease about his talent. Even if that player is his older brother.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

And before he left town, Acuña, who you could argue is the best player in baseball at the moment, dropped one other bombshell of the auditory variety that ought to be of special note to Rangers fans.

“My brother,” he said through an interpreter of Rangers prospect Luisangel Acuña, “is more advanced and better than I was at his age. Maybe I was as talented, but not as advanced.”

Which is good copy, for sure. Perhaps also a little hyperbole. Or brotherly pride. Maybe both. The Rangers’ reaction is basically: Pray Big Brother is right, but also that it might be a little unfair to compare any prospect to one of, if not the best player in the game. It is also a nice little temporary distraction because our other option for a missive was: “What’s up with the bleeping bullpen, Take 9?”

So, about Luisangel, who is at Double-A Frisco: He is 21, four years younger than Ronald, and the youngest player on the Rangers’ 40-man roster. It speaks to his precocious talent, but also to where his brother might be employing a hint of hyperbole. At 21, Ronald was already the NL Rookie of the Year and on his way to his first All-Star Game.

“It’s hard not to dream about [his brother], but I don’t think it’s fair to make those comparisons,” Rangers general manager Chris Young said. “We’d love for him to turn into that, but they are different people and different players. We’re excited about the player.”

Truth is the comps to Ronald are fewer now than could have been the case. Luisangel was going to follow in his brother’s footsteps, having agreed to a deal with Atlanta in 2018 — before the Braves’ penalties for international scouting and signing violations were announced. It made Luisangel a free agent again. The Rangers swept in.

Luisangel, a shortstop and the No. 3 ranked Rangers’ prospect according to MLB Pipeline, is tearing up the Texas League. And dare we say it: For now, he’s outperforming top prospect Evan Carter with an .837 to .815 OPS. Carter has been in a bit of a slump of late. Acuña is fourth in the Texas League in hitting (.318) and second in stolen bases (16). He has not been caught stealing.

It comes on the heels of a late-season promotion from advanced Class A Hickory last year. He struggled over the final month as a 20-year-old but has come back with a vengeance. He’s also upped his play at shortstop, perhaps quelling any thoughts that, like his brother, he might function best as an outfielder.

Though the two spend considerable time together during the offseason, Ronald doesn’t say much about what he’s told his younger brother, only that he’s encouraged him to keep “doing what he’s been doing,” and that “it’s been a joy to watch him develop.”

The Rangers can agree with the latter point.

“He is more comfortable and confident,” said minor league field coordinator Kenny Holmberg. “It’s led to high-caliber shortstop play. Like Ezequiel Durán, he’s a baseball player and can do whatever is asked of him.

“And he does it with passion. You can see that in the way he plays. That’s what you look for. I wasn’t sold [on the shortstop play], but he’s made me a believer. He’s been impressive.”

All of which brings us back to the topic of the day: the bullpen. Everybody in the organization from scouts to ownership recognizes that the bullpen is the big league team’s biggest flaw. It is a need that must be addressed. It may require more than one piece to fix.

That’s code for the Rangers are going to have to offer something in a trade. With Corey Seager settled at short for most of the next decade, the position is seemingly one from which the Rangers could peel off some talent to help other areas of the team. With their performances this year, all Durán and Acuña have done is increase their value. Whether that’s to the Rangers or in trade capital remains to be determined.

But it certainly can’t hurt his value to have one of the best players in the game provide a titillating tease about his talent. Even if that player is his older brother.

I really don’t like trading guys like Duran or Acuna. In baseball, the rule of thumb is if you can hit the team will usually make it work. Just like the rangers seem committed to “making it work” to get Duran into the lineup most days now.

I’d be fine with acquiring a decent 7th inning and 8th inning piece at the deadline. We don’t have to get a closer. Those 2 guys will help the bullpen and make us not overpay by giving up someone we might later regret giving up. We should be able to give up players who aren’t as highly rated for non closer type bullpen help.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t like trading guys like Duran or Acuna. In baseball, the rule of thumb is if you can hit the team will usually make it work. Just like the rangers seem committed to “making it work” to get Duran into the lineup most days now.

I’d be fine with acquiring a decent 7th inning and 8th inning piece at the deadline. We don’t have to get a closer. Those 2 guys will help the bullpen and make us not overpay by giving up someone we might later regret giving up. We should be able to give up players who aren’t as highly rated for non closer type bullpen help.
as bad as our bullpen has been i don't know about this

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ready to see Owen White start to dominate AA.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is hitting .180 in the month of May.
I am aware it just looks like her turned the corner to me. He did not look hurt which could easily be the reason for his well known drop off.
Just my speculation

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

good idea, if not for two very important factors:

1) Other teams know that the Rangers need bullpen help badly. So they can ask for greater value in return.

2) Other teams are also in need of bullpen help. So they can offer greater value in return.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duran needs to be left out of any trade talks unless we're getting ridiculous value in return. He has the makings of a mainstay and he's dirt cheap.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good idea, if not for two very important factors:

1) Other teams know that the Rangers need bullpen help badly. So they can ask for greater value in return.

2) Other teams are also in need of bullpen help. So they can offer greater value in return.
I agree in some ways but we need to start rebuilding the bullpen not just for now but for the future. If it means having to overpay a little for longer term pitchers then we will have to walk that path

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We try to get better at the break. And try to make it sustainable as opposed to an all in mentality. Do not overpay as if this is our last chance to win a World Series. But yes let’s improve and it is ok to trade
It is even ok to trade MILB position players for MILB pitchers a year away

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duran at DH. Robbie in LF

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree in some ways but we need to start rebuilding the bullpen not just for now but for the future. If it means having to overpay a little for longer term pitchers then we will have to walk that path

absolutely. i didn't mean to sound like I was saying we shouldn't do it, just that it's not going to be simple or cheap.