• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions will trade up to 1 or 2 for Clowney

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really been thinking about Caldwell's press conference the past few days, and how it relates to this draft.

"When we started the conversation about what to do this upcoming season, the Ford family was very clear. They said, 'How do we win the NFC North in 2014? And how do we bring a consistently-winning football team to the city of Detroit and to Lions fans?" - Jim Caldwell

IF us fans are to believe the sales pitch the Lions are selling us, then this is the only realistic expectation come draft day - the Lions trading up to the 1st or 2nd pick to grab Clowney.

No other player in the draft helps them win the North this year. Not even Sammy Watkins. IF the Lions truly believe everything they've been selling us --

* The Lions are the most ready-to-win now team (who was looking for a new HC)

* the pieces are in place.

* The team simply needs leadership.

Then trading up -- trading away our 2nd, maybe even our 1st next year -- to win NOW - is the only realistic and honest expectation.

I love Dennard at 10. But if the time is now, and the Lions really are going for it, look for an Atlanta like move and watch them trade up with Houston at 1 or more likely, the Rams and 2 and take Clowney. The Rams will still get their LT at 10.

Makes sense. We have all these massive contracts in place. The window is now.

So I'm NOT sticking to my original pick. Changing it.

The Lions will trade up for Clowney and put him with Suh and Fairley and Ansah.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even Millen would be silly enough to do that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even Millen would be silly enough to do that.

Think like the Lions. They tried to trade all the way up 5 a few years ago for Peterson and offered the next years 1st. Why would this year be any different? This regime (right or wrong) perennially thinks they're 1 step away from the Super Bowl.

Maybe they won't be able to swing it but I bet they try.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cannot possibly think that adding another piece to what is already their strongest unit, at the expense of one of several glaring needs, is the step that's going to get them there.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think like the Lions. They tried to trade all the way up 5 a few years ago for Peterson and offered the next years 1st. Why would this year be any different? This regime (right or wrong) perennially thinks they're 1 step away from the Super Bowl.

Maybe they won't be able to swing it but I bet they try.

It makes for an interesting question, Would you trade Fairly and Reiff for Peterson right now? I think we can all agree Peterson is the greatest talent of them, but that is a solid piece on both sides of the line.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately the lions are not one pick away or one player away from winning it all this year. They need more picks and not less to have a chance next season.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes for an interesting question, Would you trade Fairly and Reiff for Peterson right now? I think we can all agree Peterson is the greatest talent of them, but that is a solid piece on both sides of the line.

No, running backs drop off at his age he has one good year left if that.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

I will be easy to spot at the Lions games this year. I will be the one with the gigantic sign that says fire Millenhew and be wearing a brown paper bag over my head in shame.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a heartbeat I would trade Fairley and Reiff for PATRICK Peterson. There is only a handful of truly elite CBs in the NFL.

Detroit could fill the holes left by Reiff and Fairley in the draft this year and wouldn't skip a beat at those positions. There isn't a CB in the same class as Peterson in this draft.

Unfortunately -- I don't see any way Arizona would deal Peterson for Reiff and Fairley, but it is fun to think about it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

While it'd be very fun to see what that group could do together -- I'm not sure we will see the Lions do something like. Atlanta can afford to trade away picks, as they don't have the amount of holes the Lions have once they are healthy.

Detroit needs much more than one player to have a win now mentality. While Detroit has been competitive on the field, they lack depth and they have been extremely luck not to have been bit by the injury bug. I don't think Detroit has the luxury of trading away picks to land a player, especially picks in the 1st few rounds.

It would be very exciting to watch though.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero percent chance of the Lions trading up to get Clowney. I'm not trying to be confrontational. It fails to address the more important needs of the team. I think you are on the right track with defense though. I subscribe to the theory that you are only as strong as your weakest link. Right now that is the secondary. All the pressure in the world can't help that group the way they currently are.
Also, this is one of the deepest drafts in years and it flies in the face of conventional wisdom to minimize the your overall number of picks. Mayhew knows this.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Peterson, not Adrian Peterson

Oops my bad.
Would definitely trade both depending on patricks contract as it looks like the lions wont be able to afford reiff and fairley and peterson is amazing.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Nick Fairley now and draft Aaron Donald to pair with Suh. Good lord -- 4.65 unofficial 40 time at 305 lbs.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cannot possibly think that adding another piece to what is already their strongest unit, at the expense of one of several glaring needs, is the step that's going to get them there.

The experts said the same thing about the Giants when they still had Osi and Tuck and they still drafted JPP. All it did was get them 2 Superbowls.

Zero percent chance of the Lions trading up to get Clowney. I'm not trying to be confrontational. It fails to address the more important needs of the team.

Mayhew knows this.

All die hard Lions fans know Mayhew drafts BPA. Skipping over BPA to fill needs is how bad teams stay bad and that's never been this regimes philosophy.

Ideally, the Rams should run to the podium to take Clowney, but unfortunately for them they STILL need help at LT.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the cost to move up to 1 or 2 would be higher than you think, Rob. There have been a few idiots here in Dallas talking about moving up to #2 if Houston passes on Manziel (yeah yeah, I know there are SO many problems with everything about that conversation, don't get me started) so the cost needed to get up there has been discussed. I heard one long time NFL reporter, Norm Nitzges talking about what he is hearing it would cost Dallas. Granted we are #16 and not #10 like you, but he heard someone say the cost to go from 16 to 2 to get JFF would be this years 1st and 2nd, next years 1st and 2nd, and the following years 1st. Now that sounded like a load of garbage to me, but when I thought about it, that is basically what Washington gave up to get RG3. Not sure your 1st/2nd and next year 1st gets you there.

Plus, I think Houston takes Clowney like they took Super Mario.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All die hard Lions fans know Mayhew drafts BPA. Skipping over BPA to fill needs is how bad teams stay bad and that's never been this regimes philosophy.

Ideally, the Rams should run to the podium to take Clowney, but unfortunately for them they STILL need help at LT.
What you are suggesting isn't taking the best player available. You are talking about trading for a player that is an unnecessary luxury at the expense of the team. As I mentioned, if you keep going your merry-go-round of opinions will eventually hit on the correct choice.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cost to move up from #10 to #1, for the Lions, would be 1st round picks in 2014, 2015, 2016 and this years 2nd round pick, when looking at the value chart. When giving up future picks, you take your current picks value, #10 worth 1300 points, and reduce it to half that for a future pick. Simply stated that 1300 point value this year becomes 650 points for next years 1st round. Plus you have to consider that Detroit may not be picking in the top 20 next year.

2014 #10 pick = 1300 points
2014 #45 pick = 450 points

You may get lucky giving up 2014 and 2015 1st and 2nd round picks for each year, but I highly doubt it.... #2 overall pick is worth 2600... That's 3 years of 1st round picks value at this years #10 overall pick

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are suggesting isn't taking the best player available. You are talking about trading for a player that is an unnecessary luxury at the expense of the team. As I mentioned, if you keep going your merry-go-round of opinions will eventually hit on the correct choice.

Fine, be a dick Jalopy. I was just warming up to you too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be easy to spot at the Lions games this year. I will be the one with the gigantic sign that says fire Millenhew and be wearing a brown paper bag over my head in shame.

I appreciate that you want a build a team for 10 years from now. But again, IF what the Lions are selling us is true they don't give a fuck about your salary cap woes, and plan to win NOW, as in next 3 years.

I 100% guran-damn-tee Mayhew is NOT drafting with the mindset that he'll be here in 5 or 10 years. He's drafting to save his ass now.

THINK like Mayhew, not like yourselves. WWMD? I think between the comments, the hot seat, the Peterson attempt -- it's is all the evidence we need to prove Mayhew won't just sit at 10 and take BPA.

The Rams may say fuck off and do biz with ATL, but Mayhew will try. You watch.