• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins 8 Games In...What should WAS Do?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made no mention of this offseason. He's married and neither him or his wife have any ties to the area. Sure they can tag him again for another season, after that the offer number jumps up to the same as the quarterback tag number or 144 percent of the player's second tag offer, whichever is greater.

You don't have to originally be from a certain area to not want to uproot and move elsewhere. I am sure that he & his wife are comfortable in their neighborhood & have bonded with his teammates and others. If he stays in DC I am sure that this also opens up all types of other money making opportunities in the area. I don't think that they tag him - I truly believe that he gets extended.

Saw a Shannon Sharp clip today and agree with what he stated. Basically he said that the Redskins rolled the dice last season & now will have to pay the price. This basically will consist of huge guaranteed money that would have been significantly cheaper last offseason. I agreed w/ the approach at the time, but this is the downside to that approach. Trust me - they will pay it & Cousins will be a Redskin for the foreseeable future.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like the Broncos are linked to just about every QB out there. I guess I am struggling to fully understand this as they did use a 1st round pick on a guy they still really like. I would bet they would go after Romo before they would Cousins at this point. Romo would be cheaper (have to remember there is a such thing as the Cap and well while the Broncos do have some cap space for next year another huge contract like what Cousins will get would make things very difficult moving forward) and could fit into that 1 or 2-year type rental idea.
Well, their QB play is poor and many see them as a QB away from a SB. So maybe strike while the iron is hot with a Romo type and then you still have your kid to groom for the future. My concern if I'm trading for Romo is his health. I just don't see him playing 16 games and then a playoff run and not getting hurt. But, if he does, he could make a team that is close one of the favorites.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This basically will consist of huge guaranteed money that would have been significantly cheaper last offseason. I agreed w/ the approach at the time, but this is the downside to that approach. Trust me - they will pay it & Cousins will be a Redskin for the foreseeable future.

The least Cousins could do is send a little something to the Packers secondary as a thank you after he gets the huge guaranteed contract :suds:

Packers secondary is atrocious right now.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to originally be from a certain area to not want to uproot and move elsewhere. I am sure that he & his wife are comfortable in their neighborhood & have bonded with his teammates and others. If he stays in DC I am sure that this also opens up all types of other money making opportunities in the area. I don't think that they tag him - I truly believe that he gets extended.

Saw a Shannon Sharp clip today and agree with what he stated. Basically he said that the Redskins rolled the dice last season & now will have to pay the price. This basically will consist of huge guaranteed money that would have been significantly cheaper last offseason. I agreed w/ the approach at the time, but this is the downside to that approach. Trust me - they will pay it & Cousins will be a Redskin for the foreseeable future.

I hope Cousins will stay here too but have no idea how comfortable he and his wife are in their neighborhood or how committed they are to the DC area. He has no kids, his wife is from Georgia. Football is a business and Cousins saw that up close and personal this past off season regarding his contract. When I saw him screaming in the face of SM last night "how do you like me now" that may indicate residual effect from last years negotiations. He got a 3000% raise this year. Cousins is in the drivers seat, not the Redskins. Time will tell.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, their QB play is poor and many see them as a QB away from a SB. So maybe strike while the iron is hot with a Romo type and then you still have your kid to groom for the future. My concern if I'm trading for Romo is his health. I just don't see him playing 16 games and then a playoff run and not getting hurt. But, if he does, he could make a team that is close one of the favorites.

Which is why I could see the Broncos at least looking at Romo with him just being a 1-2 year rental. I can promise you the Broncos are just about as excited as can be at the potential of Lynch so I just can't see them investing in a guy like Cousins where that is more of a long-term type thing.

Still with Romo a lot of questions to be answered. 1) how healthy is he really? I don't doubt that he can play but are we talking a guy that is maybe 70% of his old self after that last injury or we talking vintage Romo?

2) Price--Right now his price tag is just too much for the Broncos would be my guess. They would want him to cut down his cap hit to probably closer to $10 million. Is he willing to take less to come to Denver compared to a team that is willing to pay him the full $20 million or so a year?

3) What do the Cowboys want in return? Broncos have not been a team to shy away from trades but for a broken down QB how much can the Cowboys really ask at this point?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Cousins will stay here too but have no idea how comfortable he and his wife are in their neighborhood or how committed they are to the DC area. He has no kids, his wife is from Georgia. Football is a business and Cousins saw that up close and personal this past off season regarding his contract. When I saw him screaming in the face of SM last night "how do you like me now" that may indicate residual effect from last years negotiations. He got a 3000% raise this year. Cousins is in the drivers seat, not the Redskins. Time will tell.

In hindsight, Cousins has probably won (especially if WAS makes it and wins a game in the playoffs). The 'Skins made the right gamble LY with Cousins imo.

I think he does understand it's a business. Yes, he's in the driver's seat, but when you look at the potential players...CHI, NYJ, WAS, (IDT CLE or SF roster's justify spending $20mil + for a QB) and imo DEN can't handle such a contract right now. The Jets are not in the best cap situation either, but Revis is as good as gone. Of the 2 most logical spots...NY or WAS...I would stay with what I know if the money is close.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I would be surprised if Cousins didn't test the FA market. Redskins rolled the dice, they'll be plenty of teams ready to offer him big money

I was always of this opinion but let's not forget the Cowboys let Emmitt Smith test the FA market early in his career when he was in his prime. When other teams didn't bite it was later explained that they would simply be doing the negotiations for Dallas by setting the market, knowing Dallas would match the best offer. Might be the same situation here. There is a reason a good QB never leaves his team. The 2 sides always seem to work it out in the end.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I could see the Broncos at least looking at Romo with him just being a 1-2 year rental. I can promise you the Broncos are just about as excited as can be at the potential of Lynch so I just can't see them investing in a guy like Cousins where that is more of a long-term type thing.

Still with Romo a lot of questions to be answered. 1) how healthy is he really? I don't doubt that he can play but are we talking a guy that is maybe 70% of his old self after that last injury or we talking vintage Romo?

2) Price--Right now his price tag is just too much for the Broncos would be my guess. They would want him to cut down his cap hit to probably closer to $10 million. Is he willing to take less to come to Denver compared to a team that is willing to pay him the full $20 million or so a year?

3) What do the Cowboys want in return? Broncos have not been a team to shy away from trades but for a broken down QB how much can the Cowboys really ask at this point?

Can DEN even afford a Cousins type contract...essentially another Von Miller+ type deal? Romo is not going to want to play for half what he's making now, but $12-15mil per I'm guessing he'd be chopping at the bit.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can DEN even afford a Cousins type contract...essentially another Von Miller+ type deal? Romo is not going to want to play for half what he's making now, but $12-15mil per I'm guessing he'd be chopping at the bit.

Well right now if things hold true the Broncos have about $9 million that should carry over to next season (have to wait to see the end of season bonuses and if they have to sign any other players to the 53-man roster). We obviously do not have a clue what the Salary Cap will be next year but based on one around $166 million the Broncos would have about $38 million. So that would total about $47 million in cap space to work with. At this time they have most of the top players signed. Sly Williams and Darian Stewart are the only 2 bigger names that they might have to sign. Beyond that they have about 11 players that are RFA's or ERFA's that they would probably like to re-sign to those 1-year deals. So have to figure something like $15-18 million depending on what type of tag they put on them. So now looking like $30 million left. Draft class will cost somewhere in the $5-8 million area. So now closer to $20-25 million for Free Agency for the Broncos. All that to say yes they have the room but it would take up the entire allotted money that the Broncos like to use to bring in better depth. They could sign him to a deal where the first year is at a very discounted rate but that means future years are hit very hard. I just don't see the Broncos doing that with Cousins considering they used a 1st round draft choice on Lynch and I'm guessing they want to see what he can do. Romo makes much more sense.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the Cowboys whether he’s cut or traded, the cap charge will be the same next year — $19.6 million.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The least Cousins could do is send a little something to the Packers secondary as a thank you after he gets the huge guaranteed contract :suds:

Packers secondary is atrocious right now.

All he had to do was throw it up for grabs deep and it was an automatic TD. Worst secondary in NFL history goes to the Packers right now.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins might have made a mistake with this prove it bs contract. Now they might have to pay him even more money than before. He should easily get over 20 mil per year now no diggity.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Cowboys whether he’s cut or traded, the cap charge will be the same next year — $19.6 million.

I get that. The Problem with Romo is the team signing him still has to take on his remaining contract. That would be a 3-year $54 million deal. So still $18 million a year for an older/injury prone QB. I think if he were to come to the Broncos he would have to re-do that deal to make it work. Broncos are ok cap wise but they do have a decent number of big contracts already.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well right now if things hold true the Broncos have about $9 million that should carry over to next season (have to wait to see the end of season bonuses and if they have to sign any other players to the 53-man roster). We obviously do not have a clue what the Salary Cap will be next year but based on one around $166 million the Broncos would have about $38 million. So that would total about $47 million in cap space to work with. At this time they have most of the top players signed. Sly Williams and Darian Stewart are the only 2 bigger names that they might have to sign. Beyond that they have about 11 players that are RFA's or ERFA's that they would probably like to re-sign to those 1-year deals. So have to figure something like $15-18 million depending on what type of tag they put on them. So now looking like $30 million left. Draft class will cost somewhere in the $5-8 million area. So now closer to $20-25 million for Free Agency for the Broncos. All that to say yes they have the room but it would take up the entire allotted money that the Broncos like to use to bring in better depth. They could sign him to a deal where the first year is at a very discounted rate but that means future years are hit very hard. I just don't see the Broncos doing that with Cousins considering they used a 1st round draft choice on Lynch and I'm guessing they want to see what he can do. Romo makes much more sense.

Agree...it sounds like they would have to spend to the max almost to make it happen with a Cousins type contract. A short term deal with Romo would be more attractive.

On another note, I will be curious to see what the owners do with the cap because 2016 was the big jump in TV revenue...the remaining yrs (thru 2021) look to be holding a flatline at around 7 billion per. If the ratings hold this current trend I'm guessing there are no triggers that would cause the right fees to go down in future.

If this last cap increase got the players near the 50/50 split...the owners are going to be slow to expand the cap.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins might have made a mistake with this prove it bs contract. Now they might have to pay him even more money than before. He should easily get over 20 mil per year now no diggity.

Looks like a mistake now, but it's too easy to call is a BS contract in hindsight. That said...imo he still needs to play well down the stretch to really max out...but he's already made the money, even if the 'Skins stall out, he's still going to be in the $20mil per / 5 yr range.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree...it sounds like they would have to spend to the max almost to make it happen with a Cousins type contract. A short term deal with Romo would be more attractive.

On another note, I will be curious to see what the owners do with the cap because 2016 was the big jump in TV revenue...the remaining yrs (thru 2021) look to be holding a flatline at around 7 billion per. If the ratings hold this current trend I'm guessing there are no triggers that would cause the right fees to go down in future.

If this last cap increase got the players near the 50/50 split...the owners are going to be slow to expand the cap.

Yeah going to be interesting to see all of that. My guess is players have seen contracts go up like crazy but teams have been able to handle some of that because of the cap going up so much. Those deals don't look so bad in a couple of years when 5-10 players have gotten bigger deals done. When the cap flattens out though and the players still want those contracts to go up we could see a huge influx of players hitting FA overestimating what teams are willing to pay for them. I would guess also that with the CBA coming up after the 2020 season that the closer we get to that the less Owners are going to want to hand out long-term deals just not knowing what the future will look like.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Redskins want to keep Kirk Cousins long term, it’s going to cost $100 million

Oh shit, the Skins fucked up. If he continues to play well they might have to pay the man 24 mil a year now. Can they afford him anymore?

But they didn't fuck up. A fuck up is when you overpay for a bad player. If he continues to play this way, well that's a good thing for the team. If they have to pay him 24 mill that's what a good QB costs. The fuck up would have been to pay him 2o-24 mil without more of a sample size leading to a Brock Osweiler situation. Of course the good play of Cousins could end at any time but it's really all we have to gone on right at the moment.