• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins 8 Games In...What should WAS Do?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter if there are other teams interested in Cousins. The team has already said that they will tag him if they can't reach a deal, and I don't see Cousins as the type who will sit out the year as a protest.

It will not benefit either side to not reach a deal for a long term extension. Playing on a tag means that Cousins risks losing money if he gets hurt. Both sides also don't want to see this drag out for another year & having this hanging over the head of both Cousins and the team. This deal will get done & it will come at a pretty steep price tag. No big deal - that is life in the NFL & you can't go back in time & reverse any decisions.

I just heard about the tag situation, but obviously it does change the FA market....it is a big deal, totally changes how you approach the roster going forward with a $100mil QB, but I agree with this in bold 100%.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard about the tag situation, but obviously it does change the FA market....it is a big deal, totally changes how you approach the roster going forward with a $100mil QB, but I agree with this in bold 100%.

I saw an article somewhere last week about how many serviceable QB's could hit the market this year. That might just save the Skins some cash if all of them actually do and take some bidders out of the mix.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't change anything in terms of retaining Cousins. However - you are correct in terms of how they mold the rest of the roster. I am not worried - they are pretty good about working the cap. BTW - both sides are actually very friendly with each other in spite of what you may have seen after the Packers game. That was just a heat of the moment comment.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article somewhere last week about how many serviceable QB's could hit the market this year. That might just save the Skins some cash if all of them actually do and take some bidders out of the mix.

Again - there are no other bidders - at least not for this offseason. He won't be available for anyone else this offseason because of the tag (which will likely be replaced by an extension).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who are they? I'm not seeing much substance ready to the FA market this yr. But then again you said serviceable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't change anything in terms of retaining Cousins. However - you are correct in terms of how they mold the rest of the roster. I am not worried - they are pretty good about working the cap. BTW - both sides are actually very friendly with each other in spite of what you may have seen after the Packers game. That was just a heat of the moment comment.

I'm with you in thinking a long term deal is forth coming. Having followed two teams pretty closely with high cap hit QBs...it's a different ball game. They have to make it work cap wise so I don't doubt that....bottomline and this is nothing new, but you have a handful of star level players. With a $100 mil QB, you must hit and develop in the draft, and get midlevel FAs to fill the holes.

PIT...aside from Ben they have most of their OFC cap money spent on OL, and A. Brown...if they can sign Bell, RB.

On DEF, Timmons (maybe an out going contract) and Heyward are the guys, the rest are young players on rookie deals or low cost vets.

I'm not suggesting WAS won't do a good job with it, but the days of Norman FA type contracts will be few and far between is really my point.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are???

And that was a huge dick move after the Packer game and heat of the moment doesn't change that. I hadn't seen that before. Seemed out of character from what I have seen of Cousins.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you in thinking a long term deal is forth coming. Having followed two teams pretty closely with high cap hit QBs...it's a different ball game. They have to make it work cap wise so I don't doubt that....bottomline and this is nothing new, but you have a handful of star level players. With a $100 mil QB, you must hit and develop in the draft, and get midlevel FAs to fill the holes.

PIT...aside from Ben they have most of their OFC cap money spent on OL, and A. Brown...if they can sign Bell, RB.

On DEF, Timmons (maybe an out going contract) and Heyward are the guys, the rest are young players on rookie deals or low cost vets.

I'm not suggesting WAS won't do a good job with it, but the days of Norman FA type contracts will be few and far between is really my point.

Fair enough & with their current GM I believe that they mainly want to build via the draft & lower tier FAs. The Norman situation was a unique one.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are they? I'm not seeing much substance ready to the FA market this yr. But then again you said serviceable.

Projecting the 2017 NFL quarterback market

It's disney, so discount accordingly. But if everyone does decide that the grass on the other side is greener and to ditch their QB (Romo, Tannehil, Cutler) then some big names could be out there on the market.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are???

And that was a huge dick move after the Packer game and heat of the moment doesn't change that. I hadn't seen that before. Seemed out of character from what I have seen of Cousins.

Please - they know each other so that the incident after the Packers game was not a big deal. Have you heard either side comment on it since? As for the cap - Bruce Allen is one of the better people in the NFL in this area, and they are currently in pretty good cap shape - not worried about this area.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments nail the issue, that the starting guarantee for Kirk is going to be around $60M. In reality it's probably closer to $80M based on the bar Luck set.

Yep - such is life in the NFL. At some pt in the near future every team will either have to deal with this or be in a situation like the Browns where you don't have a QB worthy of anywhere near this amt. Given the alternatives I will take the first one every time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projecting the 2017 NFL quarterback market

It's disney, so discount accordingly. But if everyone does decide that the grass on the other side is greener and to ditch their QB (Romo, Tannehil, Cutler) then some big names could be out there on the market.

Of that group...Kaep, Cutler are most likely to hit the market as "big names"...maybe Romo if he wants out. IDT either will command a whole lot of attention. I can see RG3 getting more interest as a backup if CLE cuts ties. Cutler will always be intriguing because of the arm talent, but his sample is big enough to say, he is what he's going to be.

From that list, I don't think any will have much bearing on Cousins/WAS.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of that group...Kaep, Cutler are most likely to hit the market as "big names"...maybe Romo if he wants out. IDT either will command a whole lot of attention. I can see RG3 getting more interest as a backup if CLE cuts ties. Cutler will always be intriguing because of the arm talent, but his sample is big enough to say, he is what he's going to be.

From that list, I don't think any will have much bearing on Cousins/WAS.

Oh most definitely none of them are equal to Cousins because of his age and stats. But if Kirk were on the market there could be some teams that would not even extend a real offer to him because they would just be fine with a lower cost and shorter term Romo/Cutler/Kaep.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh most definitely none of them are equal to Cousins because of his age and stats. But if Kirk were on the market there could be some teams that would not even extend a real offer to him because they would just be fine with a lower cost and shorter term Romo/Cutler/Kaep.

Agreed...imo, and I understand the tag probability...NYJ and WAS would've been the primary suitors.

Will it drive down the price for Cousins? Not that much...unless he tries to absolutely max out I expect him to get a deal similar to Russell Wilson.

Just out of curiosity, it will be interesting to see how the offseason unfolds at the QB position, I'm hearing CHI could possibly keep Cutler...NYJ have to do something different...they have to be a player. Probably CLE as well. Jackson gets a pass this yr, but he has to show more wins next yr.