• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins 8 Games In...What should WAS Do?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Emmitt ever being a FA until we released him. I think perhaps you are thinking of when he was under contract but holding out for more money.
I think Ford has it right...held out for additional $$ is how I remember

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guaranteed money left. So it's really a one year $14M contract which is nothing for a good starting NFL QB. Only issue with Romo is health.

Well there are more issues than just health. Health is a huge one considering he hasn't played a full season since 2012. And that is with a great OL most of that time. Coming to Denver obviously the OL isn't quite as prolific as that of the Cowboys.

Money is still an issue as the Broncos signed contracts this off season with the idea that the QB position wouldn't cost a ton. It is why they have Sanders, Marshall, Miller, Anderson, and Okung locked up for the next 4 years. So then even signing a guy to $14 million while not killer is still a decent chunk of change.

The other issue that has not been discussed is what the Cowboys expect in return for Romo. I'm guessing plenty of teams will get into the bidding for Romo so the price could get pretty high draft trade wise. Not sure with just having used a 1st round pick on Lynch that they then want to use a high draft pick for a 1 or 2 year rental.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember rules were a little different. I believe he was a "restricted" free agent.

This is correct. An excerpt from his book which again would explain the lack of offers. The other teams would be doing the negotiations for Dallas by setting the mareket with offers knowing Jerry would simply match any offer:

"As a restricted free agent, I had the right to negotiate with other teams, but the Cowboys had the right to match any offer I got"

The Emmitt Zone

Last edited:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't go back to edit my post but I believe this was the year he held out to open the season.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps he was an RFA at the time, I just can't imagine no team willing to make a contract offer to the back-to-back rushing leader. That would have been pre-salary cap, so that shouldn't have been an issue and Thurman Thomas had just set the price for a top RB.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps he was an RFA at the time, I just can't imagine no team willing to make a contract offer to the back-to-back rushing leader. That would have been pre-salary cap, so that shouldn't have been an issue and Thurman Thomas had just set the price for a top RB.

Since it was common knowledge that the Boys would match any offer all the teams knew their offer would simply be doing the negotiations for Dallas as I said. I see it possibly playing out here as well with Cousins. If the Redskins makes it clear to the agent/player that they will match any offer why would he leave for the same deal he could get here? And maybe teams may not want to make an offer to Cousins for the same reason the Redskins didn't make an offer for Smith.

Of course this is the voice of a hopeful fan, we all know agents don't play fair. But again there is a reason no good QB in his prime has left via free agency, the 2 sides always seem to get it done.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it was common knowledge that the Boys would match any offer all the teams knew their offer would simply be doing the negotiations for Dallas as I said. I see it possibly playing out here as well with Cousins. If the Redskins makes it clear to the agent/player that they will match any offer why would he leave for the same deal he could get here? And maybe teams may not want to make an offer to Cousins for the same reason the Redskins didn't make an offer for Smith.

Of course this is the voice of a hopeful fan, we all know agents don't play fair. But again there is a reason no good QB in his prime has left via free agency, the 2 sides always seem to get it done.

I guess the issue is that he won't be restricted and have to let WAS match? Unless they tag him again, that is.

He likely gets locked up before hitting FA, so it's moot. But is there anything that requires him to let WAS match, like an RFA has?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like the Broncos are linked to just about every QB out there. I guess I am struggling to fully understand this as they did use a 1st round pick on a guy they still really like. I would bet they would go after Romo before they would Cousins at this point. Romo would be cheaper (have to remember there is a such thing as the Cap and well while the Broncos do have some cap space for next year another huge contract like what Cousins will get would make things very difficult moving forward) and could fit into that 1 or 2-year type rental idea.

I think where you and I dis-agree is the part where the Broncos "Really Like Lynch".....Im not so convinced...They are a SB contending roster, trotting out a QB that is simply not a starting QB in the NFL, putting their season in his hands....Id have to question how much they are sold on Lynch after getting to see him day in and day out on the field and in the meeting rooms....Think they would have let it fly with him by now, considering Sieman will most likely be the biggest reason they don't repeat as AFC champs this season

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think where you and I dis-agree is the part where the Broncos "Really Like Lynch".....Im not so convinced...They are a SB contending roster, trotting out a QB that is simply not a starting QB in the NFL, putting their season in his hands....Id have to question how much they are sold on Lynch after getting to see him day in and day out on the field and in the meeting rooms....Think they would have let it fly with him by now, considering Sieman will most likely be the biggest reason they don't repeat as AFC champs this season

Well this is where having connections with some writers for the Broncos that actually talk to the FO/Coaches everyday pays off. I can promise you they love Lynch. Why he isn't playing yet has a lot more to do with them wanting to protect him a bit and let him grow in the system before trotting him out before he is ready. They see the talent. The issue right now is just him fully understanding how to run an NFL system as he is one that came from about as far from an NFL system as can be. Most before the draft figured it would be a year at least before he was ready and the Broncos have agreed with that. Just because they haven't trotted him out doesn't mean they are not excited by his potential.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the issue is that he won't be restricted and have to let WAS match? Unless they tag him again, that is.

He likely gets locked up before hitting FA, so it's moot. But is there anything that requires him to let WAS match, like an RFA has?

They can protect themselves with the franchise tag agian. Given how hard they are to find not sure they would want the 2 #1's if someone else makes a big offer.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the Cards going after Cousins? Palmer looks like he's done and the Cards still have a decent team.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the Cards going after Cousins? Palmer looks like he's done and the Cards still have a decent team.

they are projecting to have the cap space, that would be interesting. I think if Cousins does actually hit the FA market the Skins could lose him. I think if they apply the tag then the cost to keep him goes up a TON since he has a guaranteed one year $24M so why settle for much less guaranteed than that?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins look to have a TON of cap room next year though, so if they want him they can keep him unless someone makes a stupid offer or KC is ticked (which I think he is too smart to do and remove a suitor from the equation). Teams that will have more cap space and need a QB are CLE, SF, and Bears. Not sure KC is also dumb enough to want to go to the Browns. Might go to Bears but they are in a bad spot too. SF is a dark horse there.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are projecting to have the cap space, that would be interesting. I think if Cousins does actually hit the FA market the Skins could lose him. I think if they apply the tag then the cost to keep him goes up a TON since he has a guaranteed one year $24M so why settle for much less guaranteed than that?

I honestly don't see any way he doesn't end up in Washington unless someone gives him a shit ton of money which there's not too many teams that even have that kind of cap space. I think both the skins and Cousins want to keep this thing going. They still need a RB though and a little work on the defense but they're still a playoff team right now with what they got. I think he takes the 24 mil for 5 years I guess. He might be the second highest paid player next season.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Captain Kirk after Pack game yells at skins GM and say how do you like me now bitch. Pay the man fools.

Cousins asked for $20 million per year during contract negotiations after last season, but McCloughan and the Redskins never went higher than $16 million. Cousins eventually got the franchise tag, which is worth $19.95 million for just this one season.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Captain Kirk after Pack game yells at skins GM and say how do you like me now bitch. Pay the man fools.

Cousins asked for $20 million per year during contract negotiations after last season, but McCloughan and the Redskins never went higher than $16 million. Cousins eventually got the franchise tag, which is worth $19.95 million for just this one season.

If they do 5 at $24M per then I'd say only 3 years is guaranteed, maybe just 2 and then an easily gotten option for 3. Not sure many teams want to lock up 60+ million on a single player, no matter the position or how highly they value him.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do 5 at $24M per then I'd say only 3 years is guaranteed, maybe just 2 and then an easily gotten option for 3. Not sure many teams want to lock up 60+ million on a single player, no matter the position or how highly they value him.

Packers will have ton of space after they drain the swamp. Shields, Starks, Lacy, Peppers, and even Matthews could be gone.

IDK how the guaranteed money works but I do know total value. If one was to get injured for the season after collecting his guaranteed money would that person still receive his full salary or would it be a % of the money?

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to wonder if Captain Kirk will just leave the Skins with a big F U bitches. They waited way too long to put him in over the mess that RG3 was and then offered him what he's worth and had the audacity to give him a prove it year. He already proved it you dumb Mother Fers. I would leave and tell them to suck it.