• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins 8 Games In...What should WAS Do?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,921.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is playing pretty damn well. 67.2%, 309ypg, 8ypa, 17 TD's, just 7 INT's, with a QB Rating just south of 100.

The most impressive part is he's done it without Jackson who has been underperforming this season.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they didn't fuck up. A fuck up is when you overpay for a bad player. If he continues to play this way, well that's a good thing for the team. If they have to pay him 24 mill that's what a good QB costs. The fuck up would have been to pay him 2o-24 mil without more of a sample size leading to a Brock Osweiler situation. Of course the good play of Cousins could end at any time but it's really all we have to gone on right at the moment.

I'm not saying he's not worth the contract he gets. I'm just saying they should've paid the man last year instead of giving him this prove it BS and it ends up costing them in the end because now they have to pay him more because they didn't just pay him last year. Osweiler had a much smaller sample size and didn't perform as well as Cousins in that sample size. The point is they've seen what Cousins is capable of for what 5 years now and he's improved every year. They should've just forked over the lettuce last year.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is playing pretty damn well. 67.2%, 309ypg, 8ypa, 17 TD's, just 7 INT's, with a QB Rating just south of 100.

The most impressive part is he's done it without Jackson who has been hurt most of the season.

I never thought Jackson was that great and now he's an aging WR that relies on his speed but isn't as fast as he once was. He's a good #3 but no more. He's basically on pace to match or slightly beat what he did last year.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The most impressive part is he's done it without Jackson who has been underperforming this season.

Also, Carr is doing just as well as Cousins this year and he can run. He will be getting some big bucks soon as well.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he's not worth the contract he gets. I'm just saying they should've paid the man last year instead of giving him this prove it BS and it ends up costing them in the end because now they have to pay him more because they didn't just pay him last year. Osweiler had a much smaller sample size and didn't perform as well as Cousins in that sample size. The point is they've seen what Cousins is capable of for what 5 years now and he's improved every year. They should've just forked over the lettuce last year.

Yeah I get what you are saying and sure looking back that was the right move. But trust me going into this season we still weren't sure so I can't say their strategy was a fuck up. After Game 2 we were pretty sure he would never be better than average. So these 16 games really were critical for the evaluation.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought Jackson was that great and now he's an aging WR that relies on his speed but isn't as fast as he once was. He's a good #3 but no more. He's basically on pace to match or slightly beat what he did last year.

Agreed Jackson ain't that great but he has shown no signs of losing his speed. He had several chances this year for long TD, blew right past the defense, and Cousins flat missed him. But he is always hurt, rarely makes game changing plays (partly because they don't hit him) and he won't be back next year.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I get what you are saying and sure looking back that was the right move. But trust me going into this season we still weren't sure so I can't say their strategy was a fuck up. After Game 2 we were pretty sure he would never be better than average. So these 16 games really were critical for the evaluation.

He does have his moments of struggles and is a little limited in the mobility department but not as bad as Brady or the Manning's. I think his preparation, constant improvement, competitiveness and playing with a chip on his shoulder makes him a great QB with the potential to be elite. If he consistently plays the way he has the last four games and builds on those games there's no reason he shouldn't be. Do you guys have enough cashola to pay him though?

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed Jackson ain't that great but he has shown no signs of losing his speed. He had several chances this year for long TD, blew right past the defense, and Cousins flat missed him. But he is always hurt, rarely makes game changing plays (partly because they don't hit him) and he won't be back next year.

He's still faster than 97% of the NFL but it was his go to which was just go deep. Hopefully the rookie can replace him and be the playmaker/ #1 WR in the future.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have his moments of struggles and is a little limited in the mobility department but not as bad as Brady or the Manning's. I think his preparation, constant improvement, competitiveness and playing with a chip on his shoulder makes him a great QB with the potential to be elite. If he consistently plays the way he has the last four games and builds on those games there's no reason he shouldn't be. Do you guys have enough cashola to pay him though?

Yeah my understanding is the cap situation is very good. It's hard to evaluate, I hate the "team X has $36 million in cap space" line. Well that figure looks a lot different if it represents only 30 contracts and they need to fill out the rest of the roster with that $36 mil than it does if they have 40 players signed. But yeah they are in good shape cap wise from what I hear.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They didn't - what are you going to do? You can't go back in time & it is a total waste of time to play the "what if" game. You just do the best you can & make the best of the situation. Not a bad problem to have.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah my understanding is the cap situation is very good. It's hard to evaluate, I hate the "team X has $36 million in cap space" line. Well that figure looks a lot different if it represents only 30 contracts and they need to fill out the rest of the roster with that $36 mil than it does if they have 40 players signed. But yeah they are in good shape cap wise from what I hear.

They can structure contracts in a way to allow them to address other needs. The salary is not the issue - it is the guaranteed money which will certainly be more than if they extended him last season. Oh well - if he continues to improve it will be money well spent & Allen knows how to work the cap. Also - the Redskins continually get younger & are drafting better which means that they still will have a relatively large amt of lower paid guys for now.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still faster than 97% of the NFL but it was his go to which was just go deep. Hopefully the rookie can replace him and be the playmaker/ #1 WR in the future.

If Doctson comes back they really don't need Jackson. Don't get me wrong - would love to see him still play with the Skins, but it is not a necessity. Crowder, Doctson, Garcon, Davis and Reed are more than adequate & they could always add some younger talent at WR and RB.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Doctson comes back they really don't need Jackson. Don't get me wrong - would love to see him still play with the Skins, but it is not a necessity. Crowder, Doctson, Garcon, Davis and Reed are more than adequate & they could always add some younger talent at WR and RB.

Agreed, if you guys improve a little on D and develop a decent rushing attack there's no reason you shouldn't be in the hunt for the division title next year. I think it's out of reach this year but you should still make the wild card spot.

I can see you finishing at 10-5-1 now. @ Phil and @ Dal is going to be tough.

Gruden on the Cousins bandwagon saying he's at an elite level now.

Jay Gruden says parts of Kirk Cousins' game at an 'elite level'

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a lot of help on defense, it will be a few more years in my opinion.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Texans were wrong to bring in osweiler. He sucks.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Cowboys whether he’s cut or traded, the cap charge will be the same next year — $19.6 million.
yes and no. That number is only pre-6/1 and if they cut him it won't be before 6/1

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. The Problem with Romo is the team signing him still has to take on his remaining contract. That would be a 3-year $54 million deal. So still $18 million a year for an older/injury prone QB. I think if he were to come to the Broncos he would have to re-do that deal to make it work. Broncos are ok cap wise but they do have a decent number of big contracts already.
No guaranteed money left. So it's really a one year $14M contract which is nothing for a good starting NFL QB. Only issue with Romo is health.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is about to have two pretty good seasons back to back. I think he deserves to get paid even if he regresses next year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always of this opinion but let's not forget the Cowboys let Emmitt Smith test the FA market early in his career when he was in his prime. When other teams didn't bite it was later explained that they would simply be doing the negotiations for Dallas by setting the market, knowing Dallas would match the best offer. Might be the same situation here. There is a reason a good QB never leaves his team. The 2 sides always seem to work it out in the end.

I don't remember Emmitt ever being a FA until we released him. I think perhaps you are thinking of when he was under contract but holding out for more money.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Emmitt ever being a FA until we released him. I think perhaps you are thinking of when he was under contract but holding out for more money.
Remember rules were a little different. I believe he was a "restricted" free agent.