• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you were the coach, would you bench Irvin for pre-season?

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It occurred to me, the Coaches will have four pre-season games to test an adjusted "Irvin-less" D on other team's offenses. Irvin is permitted to play these games in conjunction with his PED suspension. My question to you is;
'Would you play him (Irvin) in these pre-season games?'.

I know what I would do. I would allow him some snaps to keep him 'in the game', presumably somewhere around 15-20 % game time. I got some other thoughts, I am interested in other's.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right, give him some snaps, but get these new guys in the rotation as much time as possible.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving him some snaps makes sense, because he's going to be part of the defense once his suspension is over. However the guys that actually play when the season starts should obviously get the big portion of snaps in camp.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed,
I don't see Wilson as a risk taker, and therefore do not see him getting injured.
He seems to have such good field presence of mind.
Keep him in >90% of the time to get the offense more time to get used to him in higher pressure situations.

If Wilson does get hurt, the run first offense will be much more forgiving to a back up QB initially. That lessens the absolute need for pre/reg game time snaps IMO.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd play Irvin the last quarter and a half of all the preseason games. I understand it's not against top competition, but it keeps him in game shape and allows everyone else to step up and preform.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you posting jerseyhawkfan79. We need more participation during the down time. Thanks!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I like to say that C.Adl.C.Hox>fan looks like a great contributor, keep up the good work.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This down time sucks! I really need some football soon, because both my baseball teams are going to be brutal to watch this summer. Wait, its not summer and there already brutal to watch. Ugh!

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very glad to be here. The trolling elsewhere got so old so quickly.!.

This is the first year I have been excited enough to follow the draft process.
I have already procured all the Hawk Sundays from work.
I am going to go to my first game at the Klink.
I had season tickets at the Kingdome up to the first year at Husky Stadium.

Looking forward to some good learnin' wich' y'all.

Cheers

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd play Irvin the last quarter and a half of all the preseason games. I understand it's not against top competition, but it keeps him in game shape and allows everyone else to step up and preform.

Agree here, I would play him quite a bit in the pre-season to keep him in game shape.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He's only out 4 games and he's a second year player that is still developing so I would just split the 1st team reps with who ever is taking his place.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that having him split time in the preseason games makes sense just so he has an idea of what we'll be doing and how he'll fit into what we're doing when he gets to return in October. How Carroll decides to divide it up remains to be seen, but he'll get plenty of work I'm sure. I'm sure Irvin will also be busting his butt during his suspension to make sure that he comes back with as little rust as possible. Hopefully by mid-season we'll be seeing the defensive line we've been expecting to see since free agency.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in time for the ramp up to the playoffs...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the injuries mounting up as well I'm sure he will play a mix of people, but may be forced to play Irvin more in preseason to help prevent further issues with Avril or the others. I doubt Carroll changes how much time he gives Irvin due to his suspension. They always get a mix of everyone, especially on defense and they do so for a variety of reasons. This won't change that.

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would stunt him for the rest of the year/career if you don't build on from last year. Then during his suspension give him a playbook, workout schedule, and keep him in town and out of trouble... There always seems to be problems when our players go to Atlanta.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he'll get his reps. I do wonder which position they'll give him reps at. Leo, or in Reds spot(since he may replace Red on passing downs), or the Sam LB, or as a spinner, where he roams the DL.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he'll get his reps. I do wonder which position they'll give him reps at. Leo, or in Reds spot(since he may replace Red on passing downs), or the Sam LB, or as a spinner, where he roams the DL.

That last option sounds like the best way to utilize his abilities until he gets better against the run, but they could let him do all of those things if they felt he was up to the task. That'd be a way to get him on the field more often. If he's coming from the Leo spot on one play, the end spot that he played last year on another play and the linebacker spot or roaming around on another play and they just keep mixing it up as the game goes on, the offense will have to account for him on every play, hopefully freeing another guy up to get after the QB or letting him get after the QB if they can't account for him. That's the scenario that intrigued me the most when we added the guys we added this offseason. We could do this with a couple of those guys. That's why it's so disappointing that he has to sit out the first month of the season.