• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ideal scenario for Lemonier

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gooden is currently a FA and the 49ers haven't had any known contact with him. He met with the Steelers on April 3rd and was going to meet the Cardinals the day after if he got out of town without a contract, which he did.

Didn't he also tentatively state plans to retire?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's different types of expectations. Jenkins, as a first round pick on a team that so desperately needed help at WR, and had that been exposed in the NFCC game in 2012 was expected to come in and start and contribute right away. Most acknowledged that was very unlikely. I don't know that people expected him to start at split end and catch 65 balls (4 per game). Those would be reasonable expectations for a WR in the situation Jenkins was in last year.

Lemonier on the other hand, is coming to a team with two very established OLBs (first team All Pro on one side, second team All Pro on the other). The expectations being put on Lemonier are to come in as a situational/sub package guy and put some pressure on the QB. That's much less than coming in and starting at WR as a rookie.

I think the expectations on Eric Reid are more in line with what Jenkins saw last year.

edit: sorry Bingo, were you taking about Patton? I was quickly skimming the thread and thought you meant Lemonier based on thread title.

Yes, I was referring to Patton. But it was good seeing your feedback on fans perspective on the other rookies as well.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gooden is currently a FA and the 49ers haven't had any known contact with him. He met with the Steelers on April 3rd and was going to meet the Cardinals the day after if he got out of town without a contract, which he did.

Yeah, sorry, I wrote that really confusingly. I meant he was a guy on the roster the last couple years who pretty much had a role exclusively on ST, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see an extra OLB fill that spot (or Spillman's, or Dixon's etc).

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't necessarily see a big market for Johnson. No one knows what he brings to the table, and to pluck him off a PS another team has to put him on the 53 man, and keep him there for at least three (I think it's 3) weeks.

I could see us keeping 5 OLB on the 53 man though. How many players on the roster maintain a post strictly for ST value? Guys like Tavares Gooden, CJ Spillman and Anthony Dixon are pretty much exclusively ST players. Those guys could be replaced with a player like Johnson or Lemonier as ST players without hurting the defense (or offense) as a whole.

Johnson was almost plucked off last season but we convinced him to stay so odds would be even better he would be plucked off again this season.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw - i meant Patton or Crabtree or Boldin.

yeah, Boldin is on a one year deal, but he MIGHT be resigned? he might be re-signed if Crabtree asks for the world. as already noted by others, we won't be surprised if he does? similar to Goldson, yeah we want him, but not THAT much.

doubt we tag him cause others would come first.

I see us giving him what he wants if he has another season like he did last year. The guy is just becoming elite and the sky is the limit for him. You dont let a franchise WR just walk

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see us giving him what he wants if he has another season like he did last year. The guy is just becoming elite and the sky is the limit for him. You dont let a franchise WR just walk

Mmm, "sky is the limit"? Dunno about that.