• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ideal scenario for Lemonier

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Lemonier has the ability to take Ahmad Brooks' jorb in 2014. That's not a knock against Brooks; he was the defensive MVP in the NFC Championship game IMO. And Brooks isn't gettings old by linebacker standards. It's just that I like Lemonier that much. He's faster than Brooks and will probably be better in coverage by next year. The only question for me is how long will it take for Lemonier to develop his football strength so that he can collapse the pocket the way Brooks does.

I like Lemonier's potential as a pass rusher more than Werner's, Moore's & probably even Mingo's. I think it could be on par with Dion Jordan's in a couple of years. If he becomes the kind of player I think he can be, the Niners would be able to trade Brooks and his high salary for something (he was 2nd team all-pro' last year) and possibly use that money to sign a CB, WR or safety (preferably a CB).

Just thinking ahead. It's gonna be a long summer 'til football starts...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
as Baalke says, you try to draft for next year's needs, the problem is....how do you keep them all meanwhile?

not that i'm anxious to jettison Brooks, just hopefully Lemonier will give that option?

in similar vein next year..........Carradine for Justin, Lattimore for Gore, Patton for Crabtree/Boldin. don't take this as dissing any of our vets, but thats the cap hit reality and you need options.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would love to see him take Brooks' job after this season..

Again, no knock on Brooks, but at this point, his contract is startin to become prohibitive. Especially with how many players we are going to have to resign.

Sidenote: If Lattimore has a decent first two years, we need to lock him to a 5 yr extension on the cheap.. like 3m-4m per..

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
as Baalke says, you try to draft for next year's needs, the problem is....how do you keep them all meanwhile?

not that i'm anxious to jettison Brooks, just hopefully Lemonier will give that option?

in similar vein next year..........Carradine for Justin, Lattimore for Gore, Patton for Crabtree/Boldin. don't take this as dissing any of our vets, but thats the cap hit reality and you need options.

Ding Ding Ding!!!

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would like Brooks if he could learn to lineup onsides

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we need to keep Brooks regardless if Lemonier works. We need an OLB rotation - as seen this past year only two starting caliber players doesn't work over a season and playoffs. Plus Brooks contract has de-escalators that makes his yearly salary very reasonable, especially for an All-Pro. Look at his season this past year and yet he still didn't make his contractual requirements, so what's his base salary? $5 mil? Down from 7.5? That's completely reasonable.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah, I am really high on this guy. I think he is going to be a pretty good WR.

oh yea.. I mocked us a cpl times with our second second round pick in the weeks leading up. AND WE FRICKEN GOT HIM 2 ROUNDS LATER!!!!! THAT'S WHY HARBAALKE IS DA'MEN!!!!!!!!

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyways, back to Brooks/Lemonier.. I only hope that we let him go because Lemonier has become so effective.

Also, we need to figure out where we are going to get our cap savings in the next couple years and no offense to Brooks, I personally don't necessarily buy the "All-Pro" label. And if it means letting him go and saving his hit against the cap and the difference between re-signing Aldon AND Kaep, I am all in on that.. Anyway, not that that exact example would take place, but just used an extreme option..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think we need to keep Brooks regardless if Lemonier works. We need an OLB rotation - as seen this past year only two starting caliber players doesn't work over a season and playoffs. Plus Brooks contract has de-escalators that makes his yearly salary very reasonable, especially for an All-Pro. Look at his season this past year and yet he still didn't make his contractual requirements, so what's his base salary? $5 mil? Down from 7.5? That's completely reasonable.

You're probably right, and I'd be fine with them keeping both. However, I think if Lemonier proves he can be a 10 sack guy & good in coverage, it would be better bang for the buck to trade Brooks (maybe for a CB or WR?) and start Lemonier.

One factor in the equasion could be Cam Johnson. If he starts to impress the coaching staff with his pass rushing ability, he might be able to take Lemonier's role in this scenario. It'd be a big risk because Johnson won't get much playing time in the regular season (if any) at 5th string. Either way, I think a 3rd string pass rusher is a pretty easy hole to fill. Heck, the Niners could just re-sign Haralson.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Cam Johnson shows well in the offseason, he could challenge for a roster spot. He might even threaten Haralson. I've been one of Haralson's biggest fans since we drafted him, and I think he's underrated, but he's pretty limited in coverage and is below average rushing the passer. If Cam can show that he can rush the passer and play the run decently, we could go with just him and Lemonier as the backups. Or keep Fleming for STs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Cam Johnson shows well in the offseason, he could challenge for a roster spot. He might even threaten Haralson. I've been one of Haralson's biggest fans since we drafted him, and I think he's underrated, but he's pretty limited in coverage and is below average rushing the passer. If Cam can show that he can rush the passer and play the run decently, we could go with just him and Lemonier as the backups. Or keep Fleming for STs.

You really think Haralson is a below-average pass rusher? I always thought that was his strong point.

Since the day he was drafted, I always thought Fleming would play ILB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You really think Haralson is a below-average pass rusher? I always thought that was his strong point.

Since the day he was drafted, I always thought Fleming would play ILB.

For the position? Yes, I think Haralson is below average as a pass rusher. I think he plays the run very effectively, and he's adequate rushing the passer, but he's not great. Again, I've been one of his bigger fans, so I'm not knocking him per se. But he's best-suited for a rotational role at this point, and if we can go younger we should consider it.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly Haralson may not make the 53 man roster. I could see him being one of the vets cut to keep one of the new guys.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Brooks' status I believe is going to depend on both Lemonier AND Johnson or another OLB.

It seems Baalke's goal was to increase the quality of depth up front in an effort to reduce the amount of snaps the guys up front take. The starters take WAY too many snaps and it's shown at the end of the past two seasons.

So even if Lemonier emerges it's still likely to be Brooks job. Lemonier will just be a guy that sees a lot of snaps to spell Aldon and Brooks.

Now if BOTH Lemonier and another OLB like Johnson emerges I can see Brooks becoming expendable and traded or cut.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree isnt going anywhere, Patton will step in for Boldin

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree, we don't necessarily get rid of Brooks, but would be nice to have that spot upgraded. expecting Lemonier to take that spot next season is a little optimistic IMO? but we'll see how it goes...............

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabtree isnt going anywhere, Patton will step in for Boldin

btw - i meant Patton or Crabtree or Boldin.

yeah, Boldin is on a one year deal, but he MIGHT be resigned? he might be re-signed if Crabtree asks for the world. as already noted by others, we won't be surprised if he does? similar to Goldson, yeah we want him, but not THAT much.

doubt we tag him cause others would come first.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything if Lemonier shows the right stuff, he'll be great in the sub packages and/or giving brooks or Aldon a breather during games...

that was something we were lacking IMO last season in terms of giving rest to our starters in game.