• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ideal draft scenarios

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also a 7 time Pro Bowler, All Pro 5 times and voted to the 2000's all decade team. Which is why I questioned "being the next Zach Thomas" as a REASON not to take him in the first two rounds.

I couldn't sit on the sidelines with the Zach wasn't Zach at Tech. Zach Thomas was a helleva football player everywhere he played

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to play with the idea of a trade down. If Manziel falls to Dallas and Cleveland needs a QB, the Cowboys could be in a nice position to upgrade their draft position. This year the Cowboys first pick should command a lot more value than last year and I think we will see teams adhere a little more closely to "the chart". This is a much deeper class than last year, and there will be guys with first round talent going well into the second round. Considering that there is a very good chance that all of Dallas' top choices are off the board at #16, I think a draft scenario like this might be the most IDEAL. In my own humble opinion, of course.

Cowboys trade picks #16, #78 to the Browns for picks #26, #35 -- According to the chart, this trade favors the Cowboys by 50 points. Cleveland has to pay a small premium for a QB.

#26 Ryan Shazier - LB, Ohio State -- Great addition to an already talented LB corp. Immediate starter.

#35 Jimmie Ward - S, Northern Illinois -- I'm late to the party but starting to come around on this guy. Like what he can bring. Worried about him staying healthy. Immediate starter.
#47 Scott Crichton - DE, Oregon State -- Exactly what Dallas needs at DE. Probable starter.

#119 Daquan Jones - DT, Penn State -- Big guy, can eventually take over for Hayden. Rotation player.

#158 Charles Sims - RB, West Virgina -- All around back. Would be a nice pick up this late. Probably better than Randle. Backup.

The rest will sort itself out.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#26 Ryan Shazier - LB, Ohio State -- Great addition to an already talented LB corp. Immediate starter.

#35 Jimmie Ward - S, Northern Illinois -- I'm late to the party but starting to come around on this guy. Like what he can bring. Worried about him staying healthy. Immediate starter.
#47 Scott Crichton - DE, Oregon State -- Exactly what Dallas needs at DE. Probable starter.

#119 Daquan Jones - DT, Penn State -- Big guy, can eventually take over for Hayden. Rotation player.

BOX THIS UP....I'll TAKE IT

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see Crichton there at #47. I think he Lawrence and Ward (3 I've liked in the 2nd round) are all likely gone. I know everyone is going to disagree, but I could see taking one of those 3 or a guy like Hageman at #16 even though no mock has them going that high. Still hoping for Lewan, Barr, Dix or Donald to drop. Need those QBs to go early!!!

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see Crichton there at #47. I think he Lawrence and Ward (3 I've liked in the 2nd round) are all likely gone. I know everyone is going to disagree, but I could see taking one of those 3 or a guy like Hageman at #16 even though no mock has them going that high. Still hoping for Lewan, Barr, Dix or Donald to drop. Need those QBs to go early!!!

I say we have to trade down if none of our top choices are there at #16. The draft is too deep not to take advantage of it. I am on board with your top 4, but if none of those 4 are there a trade down should be in order.

Who is the more valuable player for us at #35, Ward or Crichton? I am inclined to say Ward.

Last edited by a moderator:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BOX THIS UP....I'll TAKE IT

I guess you don't like the RB in round 5? But yea, if the first four picks look like that come draft day(s) I will be doing back flips.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we have to trade down if none of our top choices are there at #16. The draft is too deep not to take advantage of it. I am on board with your top 4, but if none of those 4 are there a trade down should be in order.

Who is the more valuable player for us at #35, Ward or Crichton? I am inclined to say Ward.

For this year, Ward. I think Crichton has a better career. So not sure which would be the answer. I tend to look long term, not one year. Love both players and hate the fact that I am reading so much about both lately. Wanted one of them bad in the second as I think both are top 20 players in the draft.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have 26 & 35 over #16.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only problem I see with your scenario is Cleveland trading two top 35 picks to move up for a QB. If they want one of the top 3-4 QB's they can simply take him at 4. If they want another player at 4, they will probably have their choice of the 2nd group of guys with their other 1st. I wouldn't do that deal if I were the Browns

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with any of that and I never compared him or anyone else t oanyone. I was just going off of this, which sounded different from what you are saying:

"I would be leary of taking him as early as he has been projected. Not just the injury, the guy could be the next Zach Thomas "

You should work for ESPN, you left out part of my quote LOL. ''He could be the next Zach Thomas or the next Steve DeOssie''. Meaning Borland could be a Zach Thomas type(hard to imagine he will be a HOF player like Thomas) or he could be a guy who is just a really good special teams player. Thomas went in the 5th round despite the fact that he was a great college player, because he was about Borland's size, 5'11'' 245. Borland might have been worthy of a 2nd round pick on the chance he has a little Thomas in him, but the fact that teams are taking him off their boards because of his shoulder would keep me from spending a 2nd on him now

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you don't like the RB in round 5? But yea, if the first four picks look like that come draft day(s) I will be doing back flips.

Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
He saw a lot of time at QB in college, but McKinnon is a major sleeper at running back. A compact but powerful 5-9, 209, he ran the second-fastest 40 among all RBs at the combine at 4.41 -- behind only the diminutive Dri Archer -- but also had six more reps at 225 pounds than any other RB (32 total), and showed off a 40.5-inch vertical.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He saw a lot of time at QB in college, but McKinnon is a major sleeper at running back. A compact but powerful 5-9, 209, he ran the second-fastest 40 among all RBs at the combine at 4.41 -- behind only the diminutive Dri Archer -- but also had six more reps at 225 pounds than any other RB (32 total), and showed off a 40.5-inch vertical.

I'd take McKinnon in the 5th. Don't think he is a starting Rb in the NFL but he is a threat when on the field and could be a nice change of pace trick play guy and a great special team guy

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would like to have McKinnon or De'Anthony Thomas if they were there in the 5th

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas trades #16, #78

Cleveland trades #26, #35

To me, considering Cleveland also has #4 overall, Dallas would have to give up more or I wouldn't do that deal at all. If you look at the guys that are projected at 16 and 25, they are basically the same grade.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas trades #16, #78

Cleveland trades #26, #35

LOL I hate talking trades on forum boards ....... In about 12 years of posting (here and ESPN) I've never once seen one guessed correctly.
So in other words when I see one posted ..... 99.9% sure that's a trade that wont happen

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem I see with your scenario is Cleveland trading two top 35 picks to move up for a QB. If they want one of the top 3-4 QB's they can simply take him at 4. If they want another player at 4, they will probably have their of the second group of guys with their other 1st. I wouldn't do that deal if I were the Browns

The rationale is Cleveland can get one of the other premium talents at #4. Then move back up and grab one of the premier QBs. Cleveland could use some star power. Manziel, or another of the top QBs can be had later in the round. Guys like Robinson, Mack, Watkins can't. Cleveland has the assets to afford a move up. And maybe they will, if the right situation presents itself.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rationale is Cleveland can get one of the other premium talents at #4. Then move back up and grab one of the premier QBs. Cleveland could use some star power. Manziel, or another of the top QBs can be had later in the round. Guys like Robinson, Mack, Watkins can't. Cleveland has the assets to afford a move up. And maybe they will, if the right situation presents itself.

My debate with this would be There is no stand out Qb in this draft. Is there really a difference in taking a Johnny Football or a Carr? Hell I will go as far to say .... is there a major drop off between those two and a guy like Mettenburger?

Me personally I don't think so.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I hate talking trades on forum boards ....... In about 12 years of posting (here and ESPN) I've never once seen one guessed correctly.
So in other words when I see one posted ..... 99.9% sure that's a trade that wont happen

I'm not predicting this to happen. Just making the case. Devil's advocate