• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ideal draft scenarios

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have had a decent history having the better end of trades with the Browns & the Bills.
Didnt we trade back with them before for QB's they reached for. (Brady Quinn & JP Losman I think it was)
If a team is wanting a particular QB & afraid they will lose them. they often times will trade up. I don't think teams settle for the 2nd option when planning them to be their future QB if they can help it. I can see more than one team being on the lesser end of a trade to move up for a QB in this draft. (to get the one guy they want)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have had a decent history having the better end of trades with the Browns & the Bills.
Didnt we trade back with them before for QB's they reached for. (Brady Quinn & JP Losman I think it was)
If a team is wanting a particular QB & afraid they will lose them. they often times will trade up. I don't think teams settle for the 2nd option when planning them to be their future QB if they can help it. I can see more than one team being on the lesser end of a trade to move up for a QB in this draft. (to get the one guy they want)

wouldn't be surprised if we trade down with Cleveland getting #26 & #35

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saying it's a trade Cleveland isn't dumb enough to do ...... No team would

I think you are a little heavy on opinion there. Precedent says otherwise.

I wouldn't say that no team would be dumb enough to do a trade that is only 50 points apart on the chart. Neither team in that scenario is losing a pick, just exchanging draft position. I mean this is the same league where just two years ago we saw three 1st and a 2nd were traded for a single 1st. If you go a little further back the Saints traded away two 1sts, two 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, and a 7th for one 1st rounder. There are other examples.

I am not saying it's going to happen, but trading a mid-1st and a mid-3rd for a low-1st and a high-2nd is well within the realm of possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say that no team would be dumb enough to do a trade that is only 50 points apart on the chart. Neither team in that scenario is losing a pick, just exchanging draft position. I mean this is the same league where just two years ago we saw three 1st and a 2nd were traded for a single 1st. If you go a little further back the Saints traded away two 1sts, two 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, and a 7th for one 1st rounder. There are other examples.

I am not saying it's going to happen, but trading a mid-1st and a mid-3rd for a low-1st and a high-2nd is well within the realm of possibility.

My counter point would be this

Each draft is different ..... in THIS draft it would take pure ignorance to do that and any GM that did will be unemployed next year.

Secondly You cannot compare any draft that was uncapped to the new capped .... Those trades 5 years ago ..... Are Fantasy land now

Thirdly ..... Refer to the first one ..... Depth of this draft. Only team that makes a trade like that is a team that thinks they are one or two players away ...... That's not Cleveland

It's not heavy on opinion .... It's common sense

BTW what happened to that Saints coach that did that trade?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my thing with the whole Cleveland NOTION .... and that's what it is ... a notion.

Whole new regime in there .... What does a new staff want.... 2 things "their player" Which Cleveland is in position to get .... and/or more draft picks to bring in " their type of players"

It's not like someone in Cleveland is going to say "hey we are two players away" Let's make Dallas a better team cause it sounds good on one of their forums ......

For real?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What makes the trade theory most difficult to believe for me is the fact that Cleveland also has the number 4 overall. In your scenario, you had them trading 26 and 35 to move back up for a QB. QB is the most important position, if they like someone enough to make that trade, why not just take the QB at 4?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes the trade theory most difficult to believe for me is the fact that Cleveland also has the number 4 overall. In your scenario, you had them trading 26 and 35 to move back up for a QB. QB is the most important position, if they like someone enough to make that trade, why not just take the QB at 4?

For me, the answer is simple. One of the top tier QB's (namely Manziel) can possibly be had in the middle of the round. Cleveland has the ammunition to pull off a deal to move up from #26 with relative ease. But under no circumstances will Cleveland be able to get a Watkins or Robinson in the middle of the round.

Why limit yourself to one, when you can conceivably have both? None of the top tier QB's are can't miss. And as such, I personally wouldn't be very comfortable passing on guys like Watkins or Robinson -- who are much closer to a sure thing -- to draft Manziel at #4. But if Manziel slides into the middle of the first, I would seriously consider making a move then. Especially if it's only going to cost me some draft position.

I guess my opinion of the difference between the top tier and the second tier QB's is a little different than yours.

Is the trade unlikely? Yes. Is it outlandish? No.