• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My way too early 3 round mock draft

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still want to see what actions Poles takes before finalizing anything, but I might as well get a bit of a jump on the ol' mock. Only doing 3 rounds because anything beyond is nothing but sheer guesswork. Hell, even the first 3 rounds are pretty much sheer guesswork as well, so maybe it's more a case of being research lazy. I'm give two variations, one with us taking OL first, DL second. Then swapping these two in my other version. Picks 3 & 4 will remain the same in both. It should be noted that neither mock will involve any trade ups or trade backs, which would undoubtedly alter the draft landscape.

Assuming we go offense first:

#9, Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State - He's been my first for a while now, but two alternates would more than suffice - Peter Skoronski, Northwestern and Broderick Jones, Georgia
#53, Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame - Quintessential size, length, speed, and violence so coveted by Poles & Flus - alternate, Keion White, Georgia Tech
#61, Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin - Ideal for the 3 technique, plays with leverage, nice balance of run and pass defense
#64, Darius Rush, CB, South Carolina - Converted WR, ball hawk, 4.3 speed, impressive man and zone coverages, voted top DB at Sr Bowl practice week by the opposing WRs

Assuming we go defense first:

#9, Tyree Wilson, DE/Edge, Texas Tech - Slim chance that he'll be there at 9, but if so grab him - Myles Murphy is my alternate, but troubled by no combine or pro day shows
#53, Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma - Not sure he'll last until 53, excellent pass protection, but also plays the run well - Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee as my alternate
#61, Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin
#64, Darius Rush, CB, South Carolina

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting mock going the full 7 rounds:

One thing we can't completely rule out is Poles using #9 on a CB. When you think about it, we really are just one lock down CB away from having an almost perfect defensive backfield. It's all but guaranteed that either Witherspoon or Gonzalez, the two highest rated CBs in the draft, will be there for the taking. But if the OL isn't further addressed in free agency, then Poles will probably grab one of the OTs.

I also like the Tippman pick. He's not the highest ranked center on most draft boards, but he's the most athletic, plus he could probably handle the guard spot if needed as well. Had I used one of the picks in my mock for center, he's the one I had in mind and at the #61 slot to boot.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing we can't completely rule out is Poles using #9 on a CB. When you think about it, we really are just one lock down CB away from having an almost perfect defensive backfield. It's all but guaranteed that either Witherspoon or Gonzalez, the two highest rated CBs in the draft, will be there for the taking. But if the OL isn't further addressed in free agency, then Poles will probably grab one of the OTs.

I also like the Tippman pick. He's not the highest ranked center on most draft boards, but he's the most athletic, plus he could probably handle the guard spot if needed as well. Had I used one of the picks in my mock for center, he's the one I had in mind and at the #61 slot to boot.

If by some chance Johnson, Tyree Wilson, Jalen Carter, and Skoronski are all off the board, I can see picking up Witherspoon.
There still other OT prospects but we may need to trade up to the back of the 1st or early in the 2nd to grab one

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see it.

I think they are gonna move Gordon out to CB, opposite Johnson.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it.

I think they are gonna move Gordon out to CB, opposite Johnson.
Regardless, we still need a 3rd CB, whether it's for the outside or the slot. So I see at some point taking a CB. Probably not with the 9 pick, too great of need in the trenches. I only stated the possibility of Poles grabbing one at that point because I have no idea who makes up his BPA board and in which order.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#64, Darius Rush, CB, South Carolina - Converted WR, ball hawk, 4.3 speed, impressive man and zone coverages, voted top DB at Sr Bowl practice week by the opposing WRs
Based on a mock draft I caught in Bears Wire, I'm switching the above pick to:

#64, DJ Turner, CB, Michigan - Tremendous athlete, ran a 4.26 40-yard dash and jumped 38.5″ at the combine. On tape, he has the speed, athleticism, and hip turn teams look for in a corner. Can play outside or inside.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned some time back that I was reluctant to add Myles Murphy to my short list as a potential 1st round pick, mainly because he didn't perform at the combine nor his originally scheduled pro day. But he finally shook off what injury he may have been nursing and performed the other day. His numbers were very strong, ie he ran a 4.51 40, a 2.62 20, and 7.22 3-cone - the last one considered an excellent time for a DL. He also benched 25 times in 225 press. We're talking about a man almost 6'5, 268 lbs. Suffice to say, he's now on my list, and there's a possibility he'll be there at #9.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a full 7 round for our Bears from CBS Sports:

1.9 Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
2.53 Tuli Tuipulotu, EDGE, USC
2.61 Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland
3.64 Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State
4.103 Colby Wooden, DL, Auburn
4.133 Zack Kuntz, TE, Old Dominion
5.136 DeWayne McBride, RB, UAB
5.148 DJ Johnson, EDGE, Oregon
7.218 Matt Landers, WR, Arkansas
7.258 Antoine Green, WR, UNC

No complaints at all with PJJ at 9 and I'm fine with Wypler at 64. Kind of iffy with Tuipulotu at 53, and a complete head scratcher with Bennett at 61. Anything past 64 is pretty much the draft hinterlands for me, so a big whatever on those suggested picks.

As for Tui, it's not that he's a bad choice, it just might be a bit high. There are other Edge/DEs who I'd rather see snagged, but it's also possible there's a run on them and he's the best of who's left. But Bennett at 61???? No way Jose. Most analysts and mocks have him with a 4th round grade. Granted he tore it up at his combine, a 4.30/40 time will get you noticed. And apparently he impressed at Sr Bowl week. But to me this is a huge overreach at 61.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago Bears

1 (9): Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
2 (53): Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse
2 (61): Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State
3 (64): Derick Hall, Edge, Auburn
4 (103): Xavier Hutchinson, WR, Iowa State
4 (133): Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State
5 (136): Chase Brown, RB, Illinois
5 (148): Kobie Turner, DT, Wake Forest
7 (218): Ronnie Hickman, S, Ohio State
7 (258): Jose Ramirez, Edge, Eastern Michigan

Here's what Dane Brugler had over at The Athletic.

Carter at 9 would be ideal.

Bergeron is a long time starter at Cuse. NFL lists his player comp as Joel Bitonio 3x Pro Bowler
Brents is a BIG dude at corner
Hall would be a great get in R3
Hutchinson has the size to be an NFL receiver but not sure about the hands or the athleticism
Chase Brown in R5 would be nice to throw into the backfield

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, my final no longer way too early 3 round mock draft, complete with BPA contingencies:

#9, Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State - He's been my first for a while now, but three alternates would more than suffice - Darnell Wright, Tennessee, Peter Skoronski, Northwestern, Broderick Jones, Georgia,
#53, Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame - Quintessential size, length, speed, and violence so coveted by Poles & Flus - alternate, Keion White, Georgia Tech
#61, Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin - Ideal for the 3 technique, plays with leverage, nice balance of run and pass defense
#64, DJ Turner, CB, Michigan - Tremendous athlete, ran a 4.26 40-yard dash and jumped 38.5″ at the combine. On tape, he has the speed, athleticism, and hip turn teams look for in a corner. Can play outside or inside.

Wright has shot up to my 2nd choice for OT, altho truly any of the four will work for me. But I'm still not sure if Poles and co are intent on having Braxton Jones remain at LT. If they are, then Wright should be the pick, being he's the one true RT in this batch. FTR, I don't think Foskey will still be there at 53.

BPA contingencies:
Tyree Wilson, DE/Edge, Texas Tech
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
Nolan Smith, OLB/Edger, Georgia

By including this BPA contingencies list, it's my way of saying that I don't have a clue as to who ranks where on Poles BPA board. I mention these players because it could be that any or all of them are ranked higher than the four OTs, I don't think any of us really know. While it's likely that at least a couple of them should still be there at 9, and I'm thinking specifically JSN & Nolan Smith, it's only when the selection is made when we'll learn who was at the top of the list at that point.

All this and I'm not even throwing in the possibility of a trade back.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, my final no longer way too early 3 round mock draft, complete with BPA contingencies:

#9, Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State - He's been my first for a while now, but three alternates would more than suffice - Darnell Wright, Tennessee, Peter Skoronski, Northwestern, Broderick Jones, Georgia,

Wright has shot up to my 2nd choice for OT, altho truly any of the four will work for me. But I'm still not sure if Poles and co are intent on having Braxton Jones remain at LT. If they are, then Wright should be the pick, being he's the one true RT in this batch. FTR, I don't think Foskey will still be there at 53.

BPA contingencies:
Tyree Wilson, DE/Edge, Texas Tech
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
Nolan Smith, OLB/Edger, Georgia

By including this BPA contingencies list, it's my way of saying that I don't have a clue as to who ranks where on Poles BPA board. I mention these players because it could be that any or all of them are ranked higher than the four OTs, I don't think any of us really know. While it's likely that at least a couple of them should still be there at 9, and I'm thinking specifically JSN & Nolan Smith, it's only when the selection is made when we'll learn who was at the top of the list at that point.

All this and I'm not even throwing in the possibility of a trade back.

Another great read LSD......

I too am hoping Paris,with Skoronski and JSN as other choices.....

After the first,Im never usually interested for the fact I never watch cfb.....but you bet Ill be reading up on the guys we get this weekend.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

W if the draft falls like this

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been seeing mocks with Carter to the Bears...if that happens will you be happy or sad...or just wait and see how it pans out?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been seeing mocks with Carter to the Bears...if that happens will you be happy or sad...or just wait and see how it pans out?

All of the above.

If we draft him and he is epic...then one day we win the Super Bowl with him, I'd love for the back side of his Super Bowl T-shirt to say "I left my friends for dead and all I got was this t-shirt."

Too soon?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears fans are somewhat divided, altho the pulse taken of late indicates the majority would be happy if he's taken. I'm also seeing more and more predictions in the media that Carter will fall to the Bears, but to me the smart money goes to Seattle snatching him at #5.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears fans are somewhat divided, altho the pulse taken of late indicates the majority would be happy if he's taken. I'm also seeing more and more predictions in the media that Carter will fall to the Bears, but to me the smart money goes to Seattle snatching him at #5.
I bet Paris will begone as well.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Paris will begone as well.
A week ago I would have bet against this. In fact I would have bet that no OT would be taken before #9. But lately for whatever reasons, PJJ in particular has suddenly been included in many mocks as being selected before we're on the clock. I think I saw one where he's the 3rd player chosen. It's insane......but I won't bet against you.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question asked, question answered. The Bears intend on giving Jones full rein at the LT spot. Wright was the best pick for RT.